VOGONS

Common searches

Gunship 2000 chatter

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW. Nice work man! It runs BEAUTIFULLY! Better than the original on a 486! I'm going to be playing this a TON from now on.

On a mission now--went to try and S&R a downed pilot.

I'm on "Crack" as the enemy setting, everything else except wind on Realistic. Wind is just annoying and doesn't give you enough realism points to be worth it.

I'm flying a Cobra, leading the Light Section with a heavily armed Blackhawk wingman. The heavy section is all Cobras and they're attacking a Mechanized BTR group. They've taken it out and are heading home all shot up. My blackhawk wingman is shot up and I have my avionics shot out, but can't find the dang pilot. I guess he'll have to make it home himself because I'm headed home low on fuel...

Reply 2 of 21, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those search missions are a pain in the ass. Give me a couple of objectives I can blow up and I'll be a happy man. Same with the recon ones, never figured out how to "recon" an area, other than to carry with you at least one of those chopters with a radar aerial over the rotor.

BTW, when your squadron is separated in two sections, what orders do yoy need to make them start moving? I always give them a flight path, but they stay flying over the base. I always end up choosing the option to be the leader of both sections, that simplifies things a lot.

Oh, and the islands and Ice addon is a nice addition. It fixes a few bugs (regretably, now you no longer get back your initial fuel and weapons when you order your teammates to return to base), the new theatres rock and now there are cities in some Europe missions.

Reply 4 of 21, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The old version used to show the downed plane as an X on the map so it was easy to find the pilot nearby. They fixed it in the new version.

Recon missions are fairly simple. Bring a Defender, Kiowa, or Comanche Scout with you on your mission (or fly it yourself to score a few brownie points--a Comanche Scout will take care of business quite well--just make sure you have a few hellstreaks to take care of pesky enemy choppers). Fly up near the objective, then acquire the target, then duck behind a nearby mountain. Don't blow the target up. Wait a bit (try not to get shot down). In a bit you'll hear "Got Primary" (or Secondary) and then you can go blow it up if you want. I usually don't, because it's a little more realistic to actually leave it there.

To do a flight path for your heavy or light section leader, go to the map, hit F, use the arrow keys to move to the first waypoint, hit enter, go to the next WP, hit enter, then to the last WP and hit enter. You'll see the Orders change to "fly to." If you don't want 3 waypoints, after the first or second just hit Backspace and the orders will change to "Fly To". Using your Heavy Section (I always just take one wingman since you're worth about 4 choppers by yourself) to take out the easy target is always a good plan. If you get good at ordering your wingmen around (not always as a group either, sometimes individually, like when you're trying to find something) it'll REALLY help your scores. Also, don't be afraid to use A to change their altitude when they're searching. Being at "Contour" or "Low" will increase their chances of getting hit, but will also let them see further. Once they make contact, change their altitude back to NOE so they aren't hit.

Rookies are terrible at flying to their objective so keep them with you until they gain a little experience. Older, wiser pilots are very effective. If someone gets hit in the rotor or tail, send them home along a safe path (like the path they came in on) right away. Losing pilots is no fun. If they get shot down and you have a blackhawk along, send them over there to pick them up. It'll make the CO happy.

Reply 6 of 21, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tips, man! 😁

I'll add a few myself:

- You can avoid yourself a lot of damage if you land within sight of your primary or secondary targets. You can still fire your weapons, but the enemies' will miss you. Just make sure you don't land on a river, a hill or rocky terrain.

- In intercept missions, enemies often use the roads at their dispossal. Follow them in the direction given by the briefing. Trains are even easier, just follow the railroads.

- Nothing impresses more the CO than you accomplishing your mission in a lesser chopper than the one you are assigned by default. This can be risky when flying solo, but it gets much easier once you have your own squad.

- In campaigns, you'll often be attacked by enemy fighter planes. You can't hit them with your missiles, they'll outrun them. Instead, wait for them to attack you again, turn until you're head to head with them and finish them off with your cannon.

Reply 7 of 21, by Maverick1st

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, i am happy, that I could be of help. Funny thing, for i came here, looking for help, actually, and not to give help. But thats the way it goes. 😁

The Info was already on the games list on the dosbox site. Should have looked it up there earlier.

One other thing i have to ask.
I have an Logitech Force 3D Pro and hoped i could play with both collective and rudder on the joystick, but it seems this is not supported. Since i can only choose either the rudder or the Collective on either the 3rd or the 4th axis. Also when i set the joystick to Thrustmaster to get Cooliehat support it wont work. Does anyone have any tips how i could solve this?
Its very annoying to use the keyboard for collective and rudder, when flying.

One thing to get an enemy plane down very fast is to mount sidewinder instead of stingers. The sidewinder will home in on the plane from 15km away and hit it right up his ass. No matter if its a Mig or whatever.
One drawback sure is you got only two of them but for the enemy choppers you could use your gun.

Another hint to avoid beeing hit by a plane is to fly at about 10 feet. The rockets of the plane will always hit the ground instead of you. This proofs very useful if you ran out of ammo and are beeing intercepted on your way home.

One annoying thing though is, if you order your wingmen to regroup or let them just fly with you in formation, they hesitate to engage targets by themselves. This might be good, if you fly a chopper with enough firepower, so they don't steal you your kills, but if you are sitting in a Kiowa or Defender or even a Blackhawk and ran out of ammo, its very annoying. To avoid this behavior just send your wingmen on a flightpath where you want to go and they clean the way for you.

Another stupid thing happend to me last time i had a s&r mission. I gave my wingmen the blackhawk to pick the buddy up for i wanted to clean the path for him, but then i found the poor guy waiting for us on top of a mountain. So there was no way to pick him up since ordering my wingman to land on top of a mountain results in a crash and one more pilot needing to be picked up.
So if you have an S&R mission and around the target are mountains be sure to always fly the blackhawk by yourself.

Oh, btw, excuse my poor english. I am from germany. 😀

Reply 8 of 21, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your English is good--better than many of my American friends... 😁

Good advice on the Sidewinders. If you meet jets often, it's a good idea. I rarely see jets so I usually just avoid them where possible and pack a few Stingers or Hellstreaks to deal with the odd Hip.

I've never seen a S&R on a mountain. If that happens, just exit the mission and start over or just finish the mission without rescuing him...it's not worth bothering with it.

Don't you guys agree this is one of the best games ever?

Reply 9 of 21, by Maverick1st

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fully agree. Best Choppergame i played. Comanche was to arcade. Almost like a shooter and not a sim. Do you guys play with 2 joysticks, or with joystick and keyboard?
And how do i control the tail rotor?
Alas, flying with enemy ai on crack is to tough for me, and so is flying in realistic flight mode. But with all other things except crash on landings turned on, you get some acceptable difficulty level, though.
I looked for almost a year for this game, but the link on HotU was always broken. Can you imagine how happy i was, when i saw this game on ebay?
This is better than christmas. 😁

Reply 10 of 21, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Believe it or not I play strictly with the keyboard. I find that although it's not very realistic it helps me control the chopper a lot better. But then, I used to play this game nonstop.

One way to win on the "Crack" setting is to use your cannon a lot. Keep the target just off to the right or left side of your screen--where you can still target him but you're still moving too fast to the side for him to track you. Then at the last second (when you get to 1.4k) crank your chopper around and unleash 2 or 3 shots at him. Works like a charm.

I don't bother with the tailrotor--in a real chopper it doesn't do much at high speeds anyway and I rarely play at anything but 160 kph straight ahead. Without a joystick and collective control it's too hard to pull up and stop.

Reply 11 of 21, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I uploaded a video clip of this game! Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW2Q-6t90a8

MAN do I get worked over by that 2S6...those buggers are mean! I should have pickled him with a Hellfire right away but I thought I'd use that cannon trick...apparently they made the Crack troops better in the new version because he turned right with me and knocked a few holes in my chopper.

Reply 14 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@jamon51: so have you reduced CPU cycles when playing the game? And does it increase survivability?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 21, by DAndre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!

I´ve downloaded GS 2000 and started it with DOSBox. After I improved my DOSBox config it runs perfect, no "mission briefing" graphic problem.
But I´ve another big problem. After I got the manual and the key commands from the internet, I started to play the game on my laptop.
Then I recognized, that the most of the commands mentioned in the manual don´t work. I think it´s because of the laptop keybord, but I´am not sure.
Does anybody has a solution for the problem?

THX, Andre.

Reply 16 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DAndre wrote:

Then I recognized, that the most of the commands mentioned in the manual don´t work. I think it´s because of the laptop keybord, but I´am not sure.

What does "don't work" actually mean? Are the keys actually there on your keyboard, but do nothing when you pressed them, or are the keys simply not available on your keyboard? Many flight sims specifically use numeric keypad, which is unavailable on laptop keyboard. Also, you often cannot use arrow keys as substitute for numeric keypad, because many flight sims use both for different purposes.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 17 of 21, by DAndre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The keys are on my keyboard, but they do nothing when I press them. I use a joystick to fly, works fine. But, e.g, I can´t use flares or gain speed. Just auto hoover, fire weapons, the f-keys and some other keys work. But as I mentioned, not all.
What can I do?

Reply 18 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DAndre wrote:

The keys are on my keyboard, but they do nothing when I press them.

Weird. Can you type characters with those keys? For example, if the key 'i' doesn't work in the game, does it work in DOSBOX DOS prompt?