VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to let know I've just received my MT-32 module and wanted to try out the games music via my newest, fastest system setup.

I'm using X-Fi Platinum and the setup is as shown in the pictures.

home_system_02.jpg

The MIDI OUT from the X-Fi IO Drive is sent via the MIDI DIN cable to the MIDI IN of the MT-32. The IO drive comes with it's own MIDI connector to connect the ordinary MIDI DIN Cable to it

There are the 3 dedicated systems as I have previously posted.

home_system_03.jpg

My whole home pc setup. Note the Marantz SR5002 receiver down there at left. At extreme left is my big, papa subwoofer by SONY. Gives so much depth in DOS games.
The LCD TV is BENQ DV3750. Has many inputs. I mean A LOT! Enough for my 2 PCs (I interchange the VGA amongst my Classic and W98 systems). The newest PC has undisturbed DVI connection to the LCD. If you're wondering, the two small units at the top of the table left side are my PS2 and PSOne.
My Receiver helps me to converge all the sound sources to it. I can mix the ordinary classic Dos games' audio to Dolby ProLogic IIx if I wanted by the click of a button of the IRRC of the Marantz.

(And err...yeah, that's my TMNT miniature below the BENQ name. Too bad it's Raphael. My favourite is Donatello. - Me and my childhood obsessions. 😉
I wonder how many grown-ups still has collection of their golden years' memories!)

Of interest to us here would be the middle, beige coloured case.

This is my classic Dos/Win3.11 based machine. Currently I have a Pentium 133MHz in a P5F72 based socket 7 motherboard.
This system has LAPC-I in it.

I'll post the inside pictures of my classic system at another date.

home_system_01.jpg
I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit to test the setup.

Just wanted to let know that my contemporary setup comprising of Vista Ultimate 64-bit, with 4GB 1066MHz DDR2, and GeF9800GTX SLI and X-Fi Platinum runs fine my Dos games in Dosbox, and the MIDI message is sent to MT-32 with the setup as shown.

1.) MIDI OUT from my X-Fi via the X-Fi's I/O Drive goes to MIDI IN of my MT-32.

2.) Audio Out from the MT-32 goes directly to my Marantz SR5002 AV Receiver.

3.) Dosbox MIDI section is configured to use the MIDI OUT PORT of my X-Fi.

That's it.

By sending audio directly to the receiver I bypass the often-complained low volume problem.

Hope this helps if anyone has problems or still thinking if their new system can handle old games via the MT-32 module.

Just wanted to say that the MT-32 STILL ROCKS in any NEW fastest system!

(The King's Quest V intro as shown - (didn't use aspect correction - otherwise can stretch full screen),(forgive the flash) with the MT-32 rekindles my memories of the wonderful music it has.
First played it in my then 286 with the v1.5 original SoundBlaster 17 years ago!!)

Attachments

• Filename
    Home_System_01.jpg
    File size
    132.21 KiB
    Downloads
    369 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Home_System_02.jpg
    File size
    337.86 KiB
    Downloads
    370 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Home_System_03.jpg
    File size
    312.77 KiB
    Downloads
    378 downloads
    File license
Last edited by Malik on 2008-11-13, 13:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amazing!!!!
I have a xifi platinum too, and got recently a CM-32L ! will do as you did, thanks for the info!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

2.) Audio Out from the MT-32 goes directly to my Marantz SR5002 AV Receiver.

What speakers are you using with this amp? I thought of buying an AV amp, but the price would be insane for a computer speaker setup if I would also change my speakers, and it would be a waste of money to use a 1k$ amp with multichannel passthrough just to connect it to my tiny Koda speakers.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 6, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malik, awesome system you got there. Are you a musician by any chance ?

Since if you are, I believe you can make the most beautiful music thanks to your setup. just plain wow.

Reply 4 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

What speakers are you using with this amp? I thought of buying an AV amp, but the price would be insane for a computer speaker setup if I would also change my speakers, and it would be a waste of money to use a 1k$ amp with multichannel passthrough just to connect it to my tiny Koda speakers.

I have an assortment of individually picked pairs of speakers. Not very expensive though, some are small and some are big. (I have surrounded my room in a 7.1 channel setup - about 20 speakers in total - including the extra 4 tweeters I added). Didn't buy a branded complete speakers set, since that would be very expensive.

Any good quality and reasonable speakers would do. You can mix how many ever you want.

The best thing about this type of AV amps is the total elimination of electrical hiss and distortions which is very common in a 2 speaker setup with direct connection to the soundcard's line out/speaker out.

And when you up-mix the dos sound output to a Dolby ProLogic IIx format using the A/V-R, you must listen to the games music like Descent II Intro. Or even Crusader No Regret. It'll blow you away!

WolverineDK wrote:

Malik, awesome system you got there. Are you a musician by any chance ?

Since if you are, I believe you can make the most beautiful music thanks to your setup. just plain wow.

Err..not a musician but my hobby involves music listening, occasional composing (used to compose in Tetra Music Compositor those days. 😉 )and a PC, especially classic PC enthusiast. My profession is a completely different one! 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Stunning looking monitor you got there Malik! 😎

It's a BENQ DV3750 LCD TV. It has 4 AV inputs, 2 S-Video Inputs, 1 VGA, 1 DVI, 2 Component inputs. At any given single moment, the connected peripherals are :

1) My Main PC using DVI
2) My Classic Windows98/ME or My DOS machine via VGA - I interchange the VGA cable when required.
3)PSOne to a S-Video input
4)PS2 to a Component input
5)Marantz AV-R which gives out an S-video signal to access it's functions.
6)My main pc also has a component output to the other Component input of my TV. Using the component while watching movies, animes, etc.
3D games are much smoother in the Component mode.