VOGONS

First post, by Kilo11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, am slightly confused, I have the full version of Dark Forces, and was able to get it to install just fine. My problem is making it run without the CD. I can get the game to run if I mount the CD rom drive, but after following the DOSbox wiki page for Dark Forces (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:Star_Wars:_Dark_Forces) I still cannot get it to run without the CD. I did move the cd.id file over to the dark folder. My dark forces folder is on a flash drive so I can take it to work F:\dosgames\DARK

Another thing I am confused about is that the wiki refers to a dosbox.conf file, like to download one off the site. It has a link attached, but it goes to another wiki page. Should I just copy my own dosbox.conf file in the dosbox directory and edit it (did that and tried to follow what it said on the wiki page but couldn't get it to work), or is there a special one I am supposed to use?

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated, I did search the forums for anything related to my problem but was unable to find anything so I hope this isn't a re-post.

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dark Forces looks for the CD.ID file in the root directory of the drive you indicate is the CD drive. If your mount command is "MOUNT C F:\dosgames" then move the ID file into F:\dosgames and tell the game that "C" is your CD drive (not true, of course, but it works if you have copied ALL of the .LFD files on the CD into the LFD folder of the installation).

Reply 2 of 2, by Kilo11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank god, it worked, thanks so much, I didnt think to just mount the dosgames directory as a cdrom drive and then move the cd.id file into the dosgames folder. I thought it had to be in the dark forces folder.

Again, thanks alot.