VOGONS

Common searches

Cant run from C:\

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by jjlees

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really appreciate the try--it had me excited for a solution. Alas, my quick research uncovers that neither should be on Adv. Civ. I found a website that purposes to list games with copy protection (http://www.gameburnworld.com/PCprotectedgames.htm), especially SafeDisk. Adv. Civ. was not listed. For SecuRom, I went to their website (http://www.securom.com/) and they mentioned they have been in business since only 1997.

Keep those ideas coming!

Thanks again,

John

Reply 21 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SafeDisc is Windows only, Securom probably as well. Some CD copy protection schemes could be used, but I think that most of DOS games just checked that it is a CD, label etc.
Even first Windows games did not bother with serious copy protection (e.g. Might and Magic 6 just checked that it is a CD).

Mirek

Reply 23 of 25, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry about that, I actually don't know the game, and didn't know SafeDisk\Securom were windows based.
Maybe this will help, I once wanted to play my CD of simon the sorcerer
so I loaded it as cdrom but I didn't use the -ioctl parameter (I have WinXP as you do), after installation I tried to play but to no avail, It just didn't work, so I then tried using -ioctl but still the problem persisted, after some work, I've finally found the problem: When I installed the game the -ioctl switch was not present, and all that time I was trying to run from that previous installation. After I deleted the files, mounted the CD with -ioctl and then installed, it played fine...

I doubt you did the same mistake as me, but you seem so eager to make it work, that I thought I should try. 😀

Other than that, I'm out of ideas 😖

Reply 25 of 25, by Nikyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got Advanced Civilization to work!!! Here is my configuration:

mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
mount c c:\games\adciv
c:

[where e and e:\ is my physical cdrom letter and c:\games\adciv is my directory on my hard drive]

I then typed "ac_start" and then "ac_main" at the prompt [no qoute marks].

I have the 1.1 patch if anyone needs it. Just email me at ejones@lyon.k12.nv.us and give me a couple of days to respond. Now if someone can just get History of the World to work 😉