VOGONS

Common searches

Determining CPU Cycles?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 23, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've thought of something like that too, but I think that the identification of the game should be based on a hash number or something like that (md5sum and the like).

Anyway it's not top priority for me since I play a little number of games
on dosbox. 😀

Iampiti

Reply 22 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Daveybaby Have DOSBox start as normal reading its config as normal, then whenever an application is started […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Daveybaby Have DOSBox start as normal reading its config as normal, then whenever an application is started, DOSBox checks against a list in another config file (called, say, apps.cfg) to see if settings for that app have been recorded.

e.g. apps.cfg looks like this:

[C:\MOM\MAGIC.EXE]
cycles 6372
frameskip 1

For right now, you can create a custom DosBox config file for each game, then use a batch file to load that custom config, mount the game's directory, and start the game for you.

Reply 23 of 23, by Sky_Eagle1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FWIW, the Landmark speed test is available too and was freely distributable as far as I know... I saw it posted on several BBSes back in the day....

I run it in DOSBox and it's fun to tweak the CPU that way...change the cycles around and see how the CPU rating changes.

CPU speed does not directly correspond to # of cycles it seems if you're wondering....it takes two separate settings for two separate systems.

If it could be done, a CPU cycle calibration or something similar would be a great help for DOSBox...or some way to get a more stable CPU - that's evident in playing around with Landmark, the CPU rating jumps rather wildly....

HTH some.