VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 41, by lawsy5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys just wanted to ask what hardware you guys are using to run tomb raider in 3d. I am using the latest version of glidos (1.44) and an old(ish) ati radeon X1900 graphics card on windows 7. The game runs fine for me using the original and silerlok textures but when I try to start the game in 3d mode i just get a black screen. The game runs blindly (I can hear it and navigate menus etc) I just cannot see anything. Interestingly it also renders the zalman mode but not the anaglyph mode. Any advice?

Reply 23 of 41, by lawsy5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks I tried both of those, I set the resolution down to 640x480 and turned off texture packs, turned on managed textures but I still have the same problem, here is the psvoodoo.log:

psVoodoo v0.10

Shader Version: FFFF0300
Number of texture stages: 8
Number of simultaneous texture: 8
Error: failed to create render buffers
Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_ARGB_1555
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
def c0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
def c1, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
mul r0.rgb, c1, c0
mul r0.a, c1, c0

Warning: DrawPrimitive failed
Warning: failed to set render target
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mul r0.rgb, c1, c0
mul r0.a, c1, c0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mul r0.rgb, c1, c0
mul r0.a, c1, c0

Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_P_8
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mov r0.a, c2
mul r0.a, r0, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, v0
mov r0.a, c2

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mov r0.a, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, c2
mov r0.a, c2

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mov r0.a, c2
mul r0.a, r0, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, v0
mov r0.a, c2

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, c2
mov r0.a, c2

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mov r0.a, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it 😀

Reply 24 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Partly mysterious, partly not. The log shows that it is failing to create the render buffers. The two buffers are twice the usual width when running in anaglyph mode (although not needed in Zalmon mode). So that all makes sense.

But it's strange that halving the resolution doesn't sort it out. You could also try

• Making sure "Inhibit mode change" is unchecked.

Selecting "16bit Colour"

Putting your display in a low res mode before starting the game

Reply 25 of 41, by lanttu81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
would it be possible to include also side-by-side 3d-mode? Now that the new line of 3D tvs are starting to hit the shelves, it would be a nice addition. For what I know, most old and new 3D tvs support side-by-side 3D and that way no special interfacing with GPU drivers would be needed? (Though I would be also interested in support for Nvidia's 3D-vision, which will get 3D TV support with 3DTV Play. (Already supported?))

Reply 27 of 41, by rassilon256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm looking at the 3D options in GliDOS. I've got a pair of RealD glasses which are apparently the same as Zalman, and a cheap pair of red/cyan anaglyph glasses. The default settings for both give me a double-image when I run Tomb Raider. Can you tell me what the different settings mean and how I can tune them to make it work best for me?
Thanks!

Reply 28 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try an offset of 0. That should let you see the effect. But the correct offset is the distance between your eyes in screen pixels. With the correct setting it takes some practice to allow your eyes to relax and look through the screen rather than at it.

Zalman glasses will work only with a Zalman monitor. You'll need red/cyan glasses for a normal monitor.

Reply 29 of 41, by rassilon256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, thanks. Funny, I've got a relatively cheap monitor but the Zalman effect was tuning in better than the anaglyph I thought. Oh well.

So there's a limit, an offset and a factor. What are the limit and factor for?
And is there some way of approximating the offset for me? Or do I just have to keep guessing?

Reply 30 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The offset should be fine for you as it is, but it takes time to get used to allowing yourself to look through the monitor rather than at it. It can be really very difficult at first. Trying much smaller values first helps.

If you want the exact value for you, then get some one to measure the distance between your eyes (pupil to pupil) and find out how many pixel widths that is on your monitor: you can make marks that distance apart in Paint, and then enlarge the view to count the pixels.

"factor" controls how much the distance skews the right and left images. 0 will give the effect of everything at the same distance. Multiplying the default by 10 can give the effect of seeing a little Lara running just behind the monitor (freaks me out a bit).

"limit" is difficult to describe. It lets you use a factor and offset only for distances greater than the specified value. You can use that to do different things with close up objects. I use it in Unreal to make the gun appear to be infront of the screen. Distance is "screen-linear z" so it can be strange very small values. You have to use trial and error really.

Reply 31 of 41, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Multiplying the default by 10 can give the effect of seeing a little Lara running just behind the monitor (freaks me out a bit).

Ooo, yes 😲 . This thing is blow my head. I just can't stand it. After 5 minutes of playing I feel like I'm drunk. I mean, it look awesome, but I getting headache.

Reply 32 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to hear someone using this feature. I love it, but then I have a Zalmon monitor so I don't have to put up with the colouring of anaglyph.

You can also use just the psVoodoo version of Glide2x.dll to run Unreal in 3D mode. That looks awesome.

Reply 33 of 41, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have this implemented on Zalman, it shouldn't be much a leap at all for you to get this also to work with Mitsubishi DLP's checkerboard format. Any chance you could add that too?

More info of how it was implemented on Nvidia's (first) 3D stereo driver (before Nvidia 3D vision):

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=828

Reply 34 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
photios wrote:

If you have this implemented on Zalman, it shouldn't be much a leap at all for you to get this also to work with Mitsubishi DLP's checkerboard format. Any chance you could add that too?

More info of how it was implemented on Nvidia's (first) 3D stereo driver (before Nvidia 3D vision):

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=828

Yeah, very interesting. Potentially it could be really easy, but not sure where I can get details of exactly how 3D DLP works.

Reply 36 of 41, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well what they did with the old Nvidia stereo drivers is that they used the Vertical Interleave format as a basis and just did a registry hack to get it in the format of checkerboard which is what DLP uses. Since Zalman monitors use row interleave to implement the format we're talking about the same type of technology to display 3D between DLP and Zalman, or at least they are very close.

I 3D game all the time with my old school stereo rig SLI 7900 GTX's and my Mitsubishi 3D DLP using this method.

Reply 37 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorted. I've just released v1.48 of Glidos, which supports the checkerboard mode of stereo. In fact it supports two variants because I don't know which is actually used in practice. Let me know how you get on with it.

Reply 39 of 41, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay! I went home to try this on my lunch break, and I'm happy to inform you that you...NAILED it on the first shot! Good job!!! 1.48 glidos implements 3D for the DLP technology!

The way I have mine setup with the Nvidia DLP hack and my TV set in "standard" checkerboard (instead of "reverse"), is that the LEFT image is first. With Glidos set to checker (standard), I had to put my TV in reverse to get the stereo image to look right. I don't know if Left image first is considered industry "standard" or not, but that's the way I have it setup.

I also had to turn down the offset in the Tombraider preset, from 115 down to 60. With it set at 115 their was too much seperation for my eyes to handle. 50-60 seemed kind of the sweet spot. I'm happy that Glidos gives the ability to adjust this.

Anyways, thank you for implementing this, what a pleasant surprise. I have Tombraider running in 1280x1024 on my 65" DLP in full 3D.

The only thing now missing is 16:9 widescreen ratio resolutions. Do you have in your current development plan, the implementation to pick from the resolutions that Windows supports, instead of the few 4:3 resolutions that you have currently in Glidos? I wonder how difficult it would be to implement that.

Regards,
photios