VOGONS

Minor problem with MSI FX5950

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing an MSI Geforce FX5950 AGP graphics card, alongside my "new" Enermax Noisemaker 😉 PSU. The seller's photo for the 5950 didn't fire me up with too much confidence regarding it's working status. And it was sent to me in a padded bag. The cap closest to the power socket was not flat. Tapping it produced a kind of bad "tinny/hollow" sound, as if something wasn't right with it. I decided to push the capacitor flat down on to the PCB.

Power on, and on the BIOS POST screen I see one "odd" character on the screen, amongst the other valid BIOS POST message text lines. Then, when the autoexec.bat lines appear, I see some more "odd" characters. When the Windows 98 splash screen appears, I see a very small cluster of "odd" pixels which should not be there. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see the "VGA / no driver" desktop appear without corruption. I was even more surprised to see the nVidia "56.something driver" installation succeed, with no corruption on the desktop.

I briefly ran a few benchies, and they seemed to work OK! No scores yet, because I'm using a slow Duron 600, and I want to swap it out for an Athlon XP CPU. (I'm using a KT7A board.)

Also, I decided to order some retro bits n pieces from the USA, such as some old CD-ROM drives. The individual shipping costs (which were correct and not "inflated" by the sellers) were understandably expensive.

Edit: I noticed on the Enermax noisetaker PSU, the power plug has no "snap off" section, where you can reduce the 24 pin plug down to a 20 pin plug. Consequently, the 24 pin plug did not fit on to my Soltek 75 KAV board because there were some caps in the way, and I had to dig out my Abit board instead. The 24 pin power plug does fit on to this board (because there's nothing in the way, such as caps etc), but obviously the extra 4 pins "hang over the edge" of the Abit's 20 pin socket.

Attachments

• fx5950.jpg
    Filename
    fx5950.jpg
    File size
    22.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: Major problem. I am not joking - the card caught fire. The flame was about 1 inch square, and lasted for about 2 seconds. See photo, top right - it's right next to the "bad" capacitor. BTW, the mobo/PSU seems to have survived!

Attachments

• flames2.JPG
    Filename
    flames2.JPG
    File size
    75.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 25, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

retro are you in the u.k ?
in the classified of of a mag i read computer mart there is a 5900xt for sale £10
i'll post details if your interested

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Davros, yes I am but I'm now having second thoughts about the 59xx series. This "fried" one, and the one I tested before it (a Gigabyte 5950) both make "funny hissing noises", which makes me just want to use my silent 128-bit fx5200 instead! This hissing sound seems to be something to do with the onboard power stuff, and not the fan(s). Thanks a lot for the offer anyway! 😀

Reply 5 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF5 is junk. Do you have a GF3/4 in the infinite treasure hold yet?

I had a 5900XT and it hissed too. They are power hungry but have cheap power circuitry.

Reply 6 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "infinite treasure hold" is beginning to burst at the seams! The earliest nVidia card I have is a Geforce MX 440 AGP x8 card (VGA/DVI), which is passively cooled. I appreciate that it's about a "middle of the range" series 4 card. I don't mind that it's not the fastest series 4 card. I quite like my FX5200 card! Granted, it will have poor AA + other "power stuff" performance, but it's older VESA stuff is OK!

I just retested an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card, and it doesn't make too much noise. I think I'm going to skip the faster nVidia 5950 & 6800 cards, and stick with the ATI card. I appreciate they are slower and also have no VESA 2 (and 3?) support, but that's where the FX5200 can help out..

Reply 10 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no! 😦 So, it looks like I need to try either a GF3 or GF4. Which one is best? Do any exist without a fan, and also provide a sharp image, not blurry? (I seem to recall a discussion about an early GF card that had a blurry general image quality.)

BTW, I just realised I have some TNT cards, and also a Riva128.

I remember going to PC World and seeing all these Geforce cards for sale over the years, and each time thinking "better stick with my orchid righteous card", cos I couldn't afford to upgrade! So all this stuff just passed me by, back in the day. Still it's good fun now, cos it's all "cheap as chips" on ebay! 😀

Reply 11 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF4Ti is just an improved GF3 so it's the way to go.

Unfortunately you are probably not going to find one without a fan. This was the era of cheap shitty heatsink fan combos with fans that almost always died. You can attach something like the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 however, as I did with my GF3. I wouldn't bother unless you get something with a dead or dying noisy spinner-o-pain.

Reply 12 of 25, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Oh no! 😦 So, it looks like I need to try either a GF3 or GF4. Which one is best? Do any exist without a fan, and also provide a sharp image, not blurry? (I seem to recall a discussion about an early GF card that had a blurry general image quality.)

I don't know who started the blurriness GF post, they must of had a few caps busted on the card as I've never had any issues with a GF2, GF3, GF5, GF6, GF7, GF8 cards, my GTX 260 or even old TNT/TNT2 cards.

I did have a 19" Samsung that slowly lost focus and got blurry, it wasn't my video card. It all went a way with a new monitor.

Also I run a fanless GF 5200 in my server, looks sharp but 3d is lacking big time.

Reply 13 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

..never had any issues with a GF2, GF3....

It really depends on who built the card and whether they cared about doing quality work. The bad blurry cards annoyed enough people to cause some of them to come up with guides to modify the post-DAC analog circuitry to clean things up a bit.

The generations with the most potential for blur are pre-GF4. I have definitely seen a few really bad GeForce cards, but some with very nice quality too. The NV blur issue isn't really any different than with many older cards of the '90s that cut costs on cheaper cards by considering what monitors they were likely be used with. Older NVIDIA game cards typically were used with 15-19" monitors, so 1024x768-1280x960 and around 75Hz probably.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-12-04, 23:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 25, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

The NV blur issue isn't really any different than with many older cards of the '90s that simply weren't designed for high resolutions. With TNT through GF3, 17" monitors were probably the main target and that's typically only 1152x864 75Hz or so.

My eyes! MY EYES!

I always preferred 1024x768 85hz over higher rez at lower refresh. The flicker at 75hz drives me nuts.

Reply 15 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've modified several TNT and early Geforce cards in a similar way to what is described in that link, although I do not recommend shorting the inductors. Just removing the filter capacitors is enough to clean up the image quality significantly (how significantly depends on the card).

As a matter of fact, I still have one of my modified Geforce2 cards in use, running at 1600x1200, and it looks as clear as any modern card.

Reply 16 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a look at this interesting webpage on wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nv … rocessing_units

It shows all the different nVidia chipsets, over the years. For the GF4 series, I'm tempted to get a Ti4200 AGP 8X, because the ones I've seen on ebay have DVI, but it looks like they use the NV28 chipset and not NV25. Is this a bad idea?

Reply 17 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The difference between NV28 and NV25 is pretty much just AGP 8X support on the former... there's not any functional difference between the two.

Reply 18 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just spotted this interesting looking ti4200 for sale -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a curious looking thing, as its design takes up 2 slots. The seller has got 84 of them left. Go for it, or avoid?

Reply 19 of 25, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I just spotted this interesting looking ti4200 for sale -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a curious looking thing, as its design takes up 2 slots. The seller has got 84 of them left. Go for it, or avoid?

The cooling solution on these models is very noisy.
Same noisy cooling they had on their king of s478 boards..the Abit IC7 Max3

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327