Common searches

Windows 7 + DOSBox MIDI = Problems!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will need to use something like Putzlowischt's Vista-MIDIMapper to change audio devices. If you are using Putzlowischt's you will find it in the control panel.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 22 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have used automatic installer
MidiYokeSetup.msi that is 163kB

Package for manual installation myokent.zip is only 19kB.

So maybe that is the problem, unless missing 144kB is windows installer (I don't know how much bigger should it be.)

Reply 23 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Putzlowischt's Vista-MIDI Mapper works nicely with both: dosbox and windows midi player. I just placed its .cpl file in windows\system32\ directory, rebooted and it appeared in control pannel. So I don't recommend using Vista MIDI Picker.

You can set twsyng's preferences -> synthesizer tab -> "Automatically start synthesizer" and place shortcut to twsyng.exe in autostart. This way you won't have to bother turning it on everytime you start windows.

By the way anyone knows any good soundfont to load? I have tried some from a few to hundreds MB claiming to by scc or gs or sound canvas with Dune 2 configured to use Sound Canvas and none soundfont i tried play intro sfx properly (some sfx are totally wrong like for example you hear a telephone ringing when the rocket is being launched). Only Roland Virtual Sound Canvas plays them properly. (Although it still doesn't beat Munt (when game is configured to use mt32) )

Reply 24 of 37, by patotheduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've followed the directions you guys have given, and I can only get Timidity++ to be invoked when I play MIDIs through its GUI. If I play MIDIs in Windows Media Player, they use MS's GS DLS. And no DosBox games even detect MIDI hardware in their setups, let alone output to it.

Reply 26 of 37, by patotheduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some games have the GM setting greyed out, notably "Master of Orion." Most games have it available but nevertheless fail to produce any sound. I can get Timidity++ to play MIDIs through Timidity's own player program, and through Windows-based Doom variants like Skulltag.

Reply 28 of 37, by patotheduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Well, I am testing with games that do not have gray settings now.
The problem lies elsewhere. I can get Timidity to handle MIDI if the program allows me to route to Midi Yoke 1 - but not in any other circumstance. I have tried using Midi switcher control panel to switch between default device of "Midi Yoke 1" and "Timidity++ DriveR" but this changes nothing in this regard.

Reply 29 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you tried Putzlowischt's Vista-MIDI Mapper ?

and can you please name all the games you found that have the GM setting grayed out/not detected? or you just forgot the names... I know it has nothing to do with your problem, but it may be bugs in dosbox and it is important to tell us about it so it could be fixed in new dosbox versions!

Reply 30 of 37, by patotheduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only one I can remember right now is "Master of Orion" - I'll look for more and let you know!

Yes, that is the MIDI Mapper I am talking about when I say "MIDI switcher control panel." Putzlowischt. TWSynth icon is in the bottom right of Windows screen, and I have set it to always "Start Synth." MIDI instruments are loaded. The only problem is that when I play a MIDI through WMP it uses Windows GS DLS, NOT Timidity, and no program that accesses "Default Windows MIDI Device" succeeds to use Timidity, but programs that I can set specifically to use Midi Yoke 1 DO work. This is the case whether MIDI-Vista-Mapper is set to use "Timidity Driver" or "Midi Yoke 1".

Reply 34 of 37, by patotheduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have used it to try Midi Yoke Output 1, and I set Timidity to use that port as its first preference, but this brought no change. I have also set the system's MIDI device to Midi Yoke 1 with the MIDI-Mapper Switcher control panel you recommended to me. The result is always the same: no output sounds, unless I switch settings to select Microsoft GS Synth. The only way I can get Timidity to play back a MIDI file is to use the Timidity GUI as a MIDI file player - then I get output.
My Timidity Driver is not listed by "mixer /listmidi" but that may be because it stops at 9 and I have 8 Midi Yoke + MS GS.

Reply 35 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe there is some conflict between timidity driver and timidity program. I don't use driver so uninstall it.
and check whether the player still works.

what is your timidity location and executable name?
enclose your timpp32g.ini and timidity.cfg

Reply 36 of 37, by sdim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem, so I made an utility to select the default playback device on windows 7. Download it for free and give it to any friends that may find it usefull.
MidiPortConfig
http://sdim.gr/mpc/

Install the Microsoft .NET framework if you get an error when you run the application.