VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen these pcmcia cards on ebay. Looks like Roland only did windows 95 drivers and they won't work with 98.

To use one of these cards in a desktop I would need a pci/pcmcia or isa/pcmcia adapter. Such an adapter will need it's own drivers. I've found a company [elan] which appears to sell cards compatible with old and new pci slots, as well as isa versions. So an adapter with 95, 98, 2000 or xp drivers should be obtainable.

According to wikipedia, the scp-55 combines an mpu-401 with an sc-55. So I am wondering... does that mean I won't need drivers to play midi through the scp-55, as long as the pcmcia adapter drivers are loaded? So I could play midi through it in windows 98 xp?

Reply 4 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I got hold of an SCP-55 cheap and eventually managed to get an old ISA/PCMCIA card to fit it in my 486. The adapter doesn't need any drivers other than what Windows 95 supplies, and the Roland driver seems to work fine for the SCP-55. I don't have the breakout box but I'm only using the card for playback. Spec of this machine:

AMD 5x86 in a Abit BN6 motherboard
S3 Trio PCI graphics
Realtek PCI NIC
GUS ACE
SCP-55 in an ISA/PCMCIA card
SB Pro 2
Windows 95

The only slight hassle was getting a PCMCIA adapter that would work with a 486 running 95. Tried it on Heretic so far and it sounds good, though not always as good as the GUS imho.

Reply 6 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drivers I used were for windows 95, it's from a zip file I think I got from the roland site. Contains scp95.drv, scp95a.inf, scp95.vxd, scp55.drv [and other files of course]

I only have 95 on that machine right now, but when I get a free moment I will install partition magic and hopefully set up dos and win3.11 and try what you suggest. I think I saw in the scp-55 documents some guidance on how to set it up for dos.

Not sure if the pcmcia adapter will be an issue - ie. whether that wil need a dos driver of some sort.

Reply 9 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the documentation, it needs Windows 3.1. I have used it with 95. Under 95 it works in DOS games.

The documentation says that the installation adds a line to config.sys.

It also says that the card needs card services and socket services. I don't know if that means it will work under dos if you can get a dos pcmcia driver, or whether that means it's windows only.

It needs an output cable. They also made a "breakout box" [mcb-3] which I think was a cable with midi din's on it.