VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thunderbird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well... what would it take to port it to Palm Os? say starting at the db 33mhz prosesser for support? hehe i think it would be brilliant.... just totaly amazing... to play good ol civ on it... gliches and all(i got the old version with the trade(tech) glich... heh).... it just would be so amazing.... 😁

Reply 1 of 7, by Kain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it might be cool, but not for palm pilots. (palm pilots reffered to people who jacked off constantly in the 1960s, I don't know why they changed the meaning to a little crappy pocket organizer) Rather a pocket PC which has a 200/400mhz processor and its much better for playing than a 33/14mhz PalmPilot.

Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 1.833ghz
ASUS A7N8X v1.4
Crucial 256mb Pc 2100 @ 166 mhz
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Western Digital 40gb WD - 400
Windows 2000 Professional
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Dolby
Maxtop Case w/ 350w PSU

Reply 2 of 7, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's always nice to have a program run in lots of oses.
A couple of remalks:
- First, you need a c++ compiler for that platform, I wouldn't be surprised there is one for palm os/windows mobile
- Second, you need to rewrite certain parts of dosbox that are os dependent.
- Third, you need a port of sdl, according to the sdl website there's an unofficial port for windows ce, no word about palm os.
- Fourth, something else?

p.s: I'm not trying to discourage anyone who wants to try to port dosbox 😀

Iampiti

Reply 3 of 7, by Thunderbird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok... yes i have a c++ compiler for it, of course i run into the lovley problem i only know vb... suppose ill have to get hold of a c++ book, and btw other dude, there alredy is a program to run dos in win ce.... 🤣, oh and wats the sdl or whatever thingy?

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO trying to make usable port of DOSBOX for 33 Mhz processor is complete nonsense. It is far to slow for DOSBOX. Sorry.

On our previous forum (on sourceforge) there was a message that somebody made port for Windows CE (slow, no sound), but he never released it publicly. IMHO this could be already usable for simple games.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While it sounds like a neat idea, I also don't think a useful Palm/CE port of DOSBox is likely to come into existence any time soon. The emulator as it stands now needs a lot of CPU power (500MHz or so at the very least to run anything playably), which those palmtop computers just don't have at this point in time. Seems like it would be clunky without a real keyboard, mouse, or joystick as well. I'd recommend a fast laptop for on-the-go DOSBox fun 😉

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Thunderbird well... what would it take to port it to Palm Os? say starting at the db 33mhz prosesser for support?

There are already DOS emulator tools for the Palm OS:
http://www.total.net/~hkonstas/vfsdos.html
http://www.xt-ce.com/#Screenshots

None have the capacity of DosBox yet and require much more power than 33MHz. PocketDos is apparently the most advanced, but it needs a PocketPC (and is a commercial product).