Here's a beastly motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

12219725-20.jpg

8-PCI, 8 EISA, quad Pentium Pro motherboard by ALR. I wasn't aware they even had PSU's strong enough to run something like that back then. You must be able to heat your house when this thing is running.

P.S. Where are the memory slots????

Reply 2 of 24, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here we have a mobo with the i450 chipset that swaaye get's a hard on when he mentions it 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

HOLY S***

If you think this one's a monster, you should see their 6x6 model with 2 daughtercards with 3 Pentium Pros on each of them. I wasn't able to find a picture of that one.

Reply 4 of 24, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

HOLY S***

If you think this one's a monster, you should see their 6x6 model with 2 daughtercards with 3 Pentium Pros on each of them. I wasn't able to find a picture of that one.

Google for ALR Revolution 6x6

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was estimating that it would probably cost you around as much as a new quad core Xeon server to gather together all the parts you would need to reconstruct one of these things and you wouldn't have a tenth the processing power. You'd have to be a serious collector to even go to the trouble.

Reply 7 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Try to cram one of those in your favorite case! 😁

you need one of the old fashioned server cases that sits on the floor and is about as big as a washing machine. It's not a standard motherboard layout. I also found a site where someone built a 6x6 and he figured fully populating the board with memory, CPU's and expansion cards would require a 600w PSU. That's a lot for the time when Pentium Pro was still being sold.

Reply 8 of 24, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The picture is a bit small, but there looks to be at least 2 AT power connectors.
It's too blurry but there could be 4 ATX power connectors as well.

Reply 9 of 24, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a time several years ago when I almost bought a 6x6 board. Not having a case for it is what held me back. I believe that board sold for a little over a $100. I also recall seeing gutted OEM case for that specific system sell for close to a grand.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 10 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Here we have a mobo with the i450 chipset that swaaye get's a hard on when he mentions it 😁

omg ya the legendary i450..... 😎 . Actually I've read that the chipset is rather buggy and slow for gaming. I always thought that Orion was a cool codename tho.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-07-10, 18:38. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 13 of 24, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet the old PEDASTAL Style chassis like from Supermicro would work.

I remember building a high-end Dual Xeon box back in the day for a terminal server, it ran only Windows NT Server v4.0 back then and the ECC memory modules were really freaking tall 😜

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 15 of 24, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Nice motherboard, but still not enough for the Bitchin' Fast 3D

Sure, but who wants a graphics card that isn't capable of OpenGL, Glide or Direct3D? 😉

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 16 of 24, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What you really want is the NCR WorldMark 4380. Eight Pentium Pros, up to 8 GB of RAM (may support 16 GB with 512 MB DIMMs; they didn't exist when it came out,) 12 hot-swap 3.5" SCSI drive bays, 4 5.25" drive bays, 2-3 625W power supplies. (Yup, this puppy used less power than some ultra-high-end single-CPU desktops do today - the third PSU is only used for redundancy.) Not as many EISA (3 + 1 PCI/EISA shared,) but it has 15 (+1 shared) PCI slots, on four separate busses.

Optional INTERNAL UPS with 15 minutes of runtime at max load.

Take a look at the Product Guide, it brings a tear to my eye just remembering that monster.

Reply 17 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder who used those overpowered Pentium Pro servers, and for what purpose. Database server? Web server? IIRC, people were mostly using Alpha and AS400 for heavy-duty servers. Yup, I have seen 486 servers too, but based on what I seen (at least on my campus), x86 servers were primarily used for Novell Netware servers or development servers.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 18 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Freak wrote:

What you really want is the NCR WorldMark 4380. Eight Pentium Pros, up to 8 GB of RAM (may support 16 GB with 512 MB DIMMs; they didn't exist when it came out,) 12 hot-swap 3.5" SCSI drive bays, 4 5.25" drive bays, 2-3 625W power supplies. (Yup, this puppy used less power than some ultra-high-end single-CPU desktops do today - the third PSU is only used for redundancy.) Not as many EISA (3 + 1 PCI/EISA shared,) but it has 15 (+1 shared) PCI slots, on four separate busses.

Optional INTERNAL UPS with 15 minutes of runtime at max load.

Take a look at the Product Guide, it brings a tear to my eye just remembering that monster.

You have to go down the list a bit, but someone is selling a 4800 for $29,500

http://www.tamayatech.com/parts.php?i=4800

Reply 19 of 24, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I worked at a company that used one as a massive I/O server. Ran SCO Unixware, IIRC. (Before SCO became "the devil".) Was full of serial port cards, handling communication between a few hundred serial terminals and a mainframe. Didn't need all the RAM or disks, but the CPUs and PCI slots were what mattered.