VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found it at last. Mach 64 ISA 4mb VRAM STILL SEALED IN BOX!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

poor guy.

What do you mean? I been searching for years for one of these and the best I could come up with was the 2mb DRAM version. This is probably the last ISA card made. How many other ISA cards do 1280x1024 in 16.7 million colors? Ebay prices make these expensive as hell so finding one for a lot less should at least get me an XBOX 360 achievement. 😁

Reply 3 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, how much did that set you back?

I've had this card for a number of years. It's by far the best ISA graphics adapter I have ever used. I am lucky that I didn't pay much for mine, though it didn't come sealed in the original box. Would it be possible to get higher resolution scans? I also wouldn't mind having a copy of the manual if you ever get around to scanning it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fkn nice.

What sort of refresh rate do you get at 1280x1024x24bit over the ISA bus?

I remember I once had a 2MB (maybe 1MB?) Video7 ISA card that could do 1024x768x24bit, but only at like 43Hz interlaced or something useless like that.

Does your card do that fancy VBE stuff for high res DOS games well?

Reply 6 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Refresh rate has nothing to do with the bus, but rather the quality of the RAMDAC. If you have a 2MB card with only an 80MHz RAMDAC, you're stuck with 43Hz at 1024x768. The Mach64 ISA has a rather good ATI68860 RAMDAC on it (135MHz), which I believe can handle 1280x1024x24 at 75Hz refresh rate.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Nice, how much did that set you back?

I've had this card for a number of years. It's by far the best ISA graphics adapter I have ever used. I am lucky that I didn't pay much for mine, though it didn't come sealed in the original box. Would it be possible to get higher resolution scans? I also wouldn't mind having a copy of the manual if you ever get around to scanning it.

It was about $30. I paid $20 for the 2mb one about 6 years ago. The few times Mach64 ISA cards come up they are usually over $100. PCI ones are cheap. Even VL Bus ones aren't as much as ISA for some reason.

Reply 12 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Good deal...do they have more? 😉 😉 😉

Nope, was only one which was why I grabbed it. I knew I would probably never see another one for anything close to an affordable price.

Reply 13 of 14, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Ah yes, my bad.

I was just wondering how well the ISA bus can pump the frames at that sort of resolution.

Maybe you mean a full screen refresh at 1280x1024?
Correct me if I'm wrong here:

5242880 Bytes/frame at 1280x1024x4 (5120KB/5MB)
Wikipedia puts the 16bit ISA bus at around 4MB/s.

Wouldn't this mean that at this resolution a full screen redraw would be less than 1 frame per second?

Reply 14 of 14, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an accelerator. If you tried to send raw bitmaps at that speed, yeah, the ISA bus would be saturated. Which is why there are drivers, which encode things to be sent to the accelerator for rendering. Such as "draw a square this big, centered here", rather than sending the individual pixels for the square.