VOGONS

486 mobo + 586 chip

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 148, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried that, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. BTW, the melted SB2 doesn't work anymore. I have no idea why. It was working OK yesterday, but I've tried it in 2 mobos today, and the sound effects don't work. All I hear is interference/noise.

Diagnose.exe can see the card OK, and set the DMA=1 OK, but I can't hear the sound effects, because the noise is too distorted. If I remove the melted SB2, and replace it with another SB2, it works, so I think the mobo's resources are set up OK. I've tried a 386, and a VLB-based 486.

When I either use the "broken -5V PSU", or the melted SB2 with a "good" PSU, the noise/interference coming through the speakers sounds similar. You can hear the computer "thinking", through the speakers, and it just sounds wrong.

Reply 142 of 148, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
I finally did a text string search for ½ inside th99free, hoping to find more mobo's with the magic jumper. Unfortunately it tur […]
Show full quote

I finally did a text string search for ½ inside th99free, hoping to find more mobo's with the magic jumper. Unfortunately it turned up only 3 relevant results: The 2 boards already listed and an Opti Pentium board with VLB.
Apparently we'll have to either find boards that set the pci divider automatically, or start trying out undocumented jumper settings.
A 3rd and 4th possible way could be perhaps to reflash with a bios that does support pci dividers (risky) or start modding the chipsets themselves (extremely risky).

I'd say...the hunt is on! 😉

I have reflashed the bios of a PCChips M919 mobo with a Biostar MB-8433UUD mobo BIOS and now i can get the 1/2 2/3 1/1 'magic jumper' BINGO!
And as an ultra, i get better performance with this BIOS

Last edited by sebaz_ri on 2012-03-12, 21:11. Edited 2 times in total.

2611708.png

Reply 143 of 148, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you show evidence of this customisable FSB jumper in the BIOS? What other settings have changed in the BIOS? Have you confirmed that using the wrong BIOS is stable in Windows 98SE on this board?

To demonstrate that the FSB dividers are actually working, can you run Landmark and record the Video rates for each of the 3 FSB settings?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 144 of 148, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Can you show evidence of this customisable FSB jumper in the BIOS? What other settings have changed in the BIOS? Have you confirmed that using the wrong BIOS is stable in Windows 98SE on this board?

To demonstrate that the FSB dividers are actually working, can you run Landmark and record the Video rates for each of the 3 FSB settings?

Well, i had downloaded the BIOS that you uploaded in this post
UMC chipset PCI 486 mobo. AMD P90 CPU options?
and i had to reinstall Windows 95B otherwise it gets quite unstable but i guess Windows 98 should also be stable but i had a few notes:
1-Try not to use too many PCI cards because i had a RTL8139 NIC that was giving me headaches until i installed a NE2000 ISA card
2-I had experimented a gigantic memory bandwidth of 180mb/s with speedsys 4.78 so i guess its worth flashing
3-With a 60MHz bus and a 1/2 PCI divider i get 83.3 in 3dbench with a Cyrix 5x86-120 with all enhancements enabled(except for BP) and a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge 325 2mb)
4-With a 60MHz bus and a 2/3 PCI divider i get 91.0 in 3dbench with the same earlier configuration, but things get a bit unstable
5-With a 50MHz bus and a 1/1 PCI divider i get 91.0 in 3dbench with an AMD 5x86-P75 (overclocked to 150) and S3 Virge 325 2MB but i don't wanted to risk my fresh Windows 95 so i don't tested unstability
6-For 50 MHz 1/1 and 60MHz 2/3 i had to use an external ISA I/O card and disable the onboard one, otherwise things go weird

2611708.png

Reply 145 of 148, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using the BIOS that I posted for an MB-8433UUD, then why did you mentioned you are using the BIOS for a U8663-D? The U8663-D is a Pentium4 motherboard.

It sounds like you are having stability problems using the 8433 BIOS in your M919, so I don't think I'm going to attempt this; it could be potentially damaging.

Reply 146 of 148, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

If you are using the BIOS that I posted for an MB-8433UUD, then why did you mentioned you are using the BIOS for a U8663-D? The U8663-D is a Pentium4 motherboard.

It sounds like you are having stability problems using the 8433 BIOS in your M919, so I don't think I'm going to attempt this; it could be potentially damaging.

Ah well, mobos models are quite messy 😁
For now, my mobo wasn't damaged and i get a worth performance increase in the M919; also i think that users with the Shuttle HOT-433 may try this biostar BIOS
Note:I flashed into another BIOS chip, because the original one in the M919 isn't flashable so if anything gets wrong i can quickly switch to the original bios, also; even if flashable, i don't want to ruin the original BIOS of the M919
Note2:I used a 128k SST flash rom and flashed with uniflash (i don't trust these fancy bios flash programs)
Note3:Maybe the stability problems are because the onboard i/o of the M919 and 8433 are quite different. The M919 I/O is UMC UM8670 while the 8433 is UMC UM8663BF
Note4:I have finally solved the 'mouse jumping' problems in the M919, the workaround is plugging in an ISA I/O card and use the serial port in the card

Edit:This BIOS may also can finally get to work the fake cache because maybe the original one just don't want to take any kind of cache

2611708.png

Reply 147 of 148, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:

The M919 I/O is UMC UM8670 while the 8433 is UMC UM8663BF

Of the two M919's I have, one uses the UM8663BF as the Super I/O, while the other board uses UM8670. Both boards are PCB revision 3.4 B/F and use the same BIOS. The board with UM8670 Super I/O has issues setting AMD/Intel CPU's L1 cache into write-back mode (the option is greyed-out as write-through in the BIOS). I am not sure if this is a consequence of the UM8670, nor do I know what the difference is between UM8670 and UM8663BF. From buying old stock IC's in China, UM8670 is more expensive than UM8663BF for whatever reason, perhaps rarity.