VOGONS

Reply 120 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, Im not trying to be inconsiderate.

I give advice myself with regards to OTA Television Antennas, Internet Streaming Home Theatre Devices, LCD HDTVs and other A/V stuff...and understand that people can be unappreciative of that well informed expert advice.

I hope no one feels obligated to help me...especially if Im percieved as being disrespectful and inconsiderate.

Anyways, that is how my mind works, its a stream of conciousness thing. Humans are messy.

Reply 121 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Tetrium, is your Gigabyte GA-5AX SS7 mobo a revision 4.1 board? If it is, does it have the bugged >128MB RAM cache problem, like my revision 5.2 board does?

I believe it is actually, and yes, I believe it has the bugged version of the chipset. But as it's got a K6-3/400 AFX in it, the bugged cacheable area doesn't matter 😉

Reply 122 of 151, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Tetrium, is your Gigabyte GA-5AX SS7 mobo a revision 4.1 board? If it is, does it have the bugged >128MB RAM cache problem, like my revision 5.2 board does?

I believe it is actually, and yes, I believe it has the bugged version of the chipset. But as it's got a K6-3/400 AFX in it, the bugged cacheable area doesn't matter 😉

Yes of course! I still have a K6-3/400 in my ebay watch list. I must get around to buying it. Sometimes I leave things in my watch list for months, and sometimes they disappear and I forget what it was I was looking at.

Reply 123 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Yes of course! I still have a K6-3/400 in my ebay watch list. I must get around to buying it. Sometimes I leave things in my watch list for months, and sometimes they disappear and I forget what it was I was looking at.

Lol, exactly the same here! 😜

But it has the advantage that you can see later for how much it sold 😉
Is it me, or are the normal K6-3's that much harder to find?
The K6-3+ is available in large numbers, for cheap and they are all brand new!
If I see a K6-3 for sale, it's usually the 2.4v part, and that part consumes a LOT more power then the 2.2v part.

Ok, looked it up (and it seems I called the 2.2v part the AFX, but it should be AFR...sorry!), link:
http://mysite.verizon.net/pchardwarelinks/elec_pentium.htm

The 400Mhz 2.2v part consumes about 18W's (maximum of course), which is slightly more then the P1-233Mhz (or a Coppermine at about 650Mhz). The 2.4v part consumes about 27W's, which is about the same as a P2-400, or a Coppermine running at 1Ghz. Quite a difference if you take into account that, except for voltage, it behaves exactly the same!

Reply 126 of 151, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

what is exactly the purpose of this thread ?
Is it to have a discussion ? (what the purpose of a forum is)
or is it your own mental parking space ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 127 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That seems overly dichotomic in describing human communication.

Perhaps Ive not been social enough, or just have a general lack of social skills?

Im a newbie so have limited information to share with regards to the general topical framework of the forum.

Tryin' to learn, ask questions, absorb data, in which to formulate new questions...with the purpose/goal of building a retro system....then I might have more input once that task has been completed....or at least the first amalgamation of parts in a working box.

Sorry for rambling.

I apologize for apparently being an ill mannered newb.

Reply 128 of 151, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe what Qbix is trying to say, is that this feels more like a blog / diary than a forum discussion...

Regarding TV Output, just get a video card with S-Video Out or purchase a VGA to S-Video converter box.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 129 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, Im not sure I like cluttering up the video card with all those features. As I can get a VGA to other standard TV connection (and many of the newer sets have VGA input anyways)....Ill probably not get any with TV out specifically (or maybe a Matrox card down the road). Anyways, video work would be done on a more modern unit.

Ill have more to share, once some parts start arriving. The Roland MPU-401 IPC-T is coming from Australia! Gooday, mate!

Reply 131 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Thanks, Im not sure I like cluttering up the video card with all those features. As I can get a VGA to other standard TV connection (and many of the newer sets have VGA input anyways)....Ill probably not get any with TV out specifically (or maybe a Matrox card down the road). Anyways, video work would be done on a more modern unit.

Ill have more to share, once some parts start arriving. The Roland MPU-401 IPC-T is coming from Australia! Gooday, mate!

EscapeVelocity wrote:

Rich Heimlich's Patch Set Overview -- From Usenet

download.php?id=6527

Just post these in a single post using edit, no need to add additional post which have only 1 or 2 lines.
It makes the topic have many extra pages with no extra info at all.

Reply 132 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If someone like me stumbled on this thread, I think they would find that link good information that adds to the thread. But I certainly could organize it better, I suppose.

I guess Im just not computer savvy enough. See my Cirrus Logic 5429 thread. 😖

Reply 133 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anybody following along here.

My Asus P5A ATX Motherboard with AMD K6-2 350MHz CPU with Fan has arrived.

Also I have noticed that Diamond boards are one of the more abundantly available on the secondary market and usually they fetch lower prices, while generally they were more desireable products from the 90s. They were market leaders and sold a bunch of product, I guess. Thus they have have less collectors value...or the collectors already have one of everything from Diamond. Just my thoughts.

Reply 134 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didnt realize how important the number of expansion slots were....here are some of the better later Super7 boards...

The Tyan S1590 Trinity has

1 AGP Slot
4 PCI Slots (3 Full Length)
4 ISA Slots (1 Shared / 1 Full Length)

looks like a goodun'

Microstar MS-5169

1 AGP Slot
4 PCI Slots (4 Full Length)
3 ISA Slots (1 Shared / 3 Full Length)

Iwill XA100Plus

1 AGP Slot
4 PCI Slots (4 Full Length)
3 ISA Slots (1 Shared / 3 Full Length)

FIC VA-503+

1 AGP Slot
3 PCI Slots (1 Full Length)
3 ISA Slots (1 Shared / 2 Full Length)

ASUS P5A/P5A-B

3 PCI Slots (3 Full Length)
2 ISA Slots (1 Shared / 1 Full Length)

Reply 135 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EscapeVelocity wrote:

If someone like me stumbled on this thread, I think they would find that link good information that adds to the thread. But I certainly could organize it better, I suppose.

I guess Im just not computer savvy enough. See my Cirrus Logic 5429 thread. 😖

Yes

Reply 139 of 151, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest the thread is so long, mundane and meandering that I doubt anyone would find it useful in future. Especially with all those lists of hardware and links, I just think "so what" every time I stumble here. I know I probably did posts like that myself, but they don't go on that long...