VOGONS

Formerly Windows 3.1 trouble, now windows 98 trouble.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, guys. I'm back and I have a problem, I have recently installed win 3.1 on my rig and evreytime I do a fresh install it says on reboot it says "missing himem.sys please make sure it's in your windows directory" or something like that. So, any thoughts? (I haven't tried to get a win3.1 bootdisk from allbootdisks.com yet though.) 😒

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-02-24, 02:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 140, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds to me like the windows installer has screwed with your PATH settings.
When you start the PC and you see the mesage 'Starting MS-DOS' start hitting the F5 key and that should bypass your autoexec.bat/config.sys and get you to a basic command prompt. From there you can edit the config files.
Paste the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys here.

At a guess I'd say that these files don't have the full path to HIMEM.SYS in them, you should locate the HIMEM.SYS file, usually under C:\DOS or C:\WINDOWS, and edit the config.sys file to contain the full path to the HIMEM.SYS file.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

config.sys loads before autoexec.bat, and path statements are set in autoexec.bat, not config.sys. Without an absolute path, DOS might not find the files to load the TSRs... I think with DOS 6.22 and older, command.com is smart enough to look in C:\DOS by default, even without a path statement... but that's still a dangerous game to play

Reply 12 of 140, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

post count is irrelevant, people can have good, valid opinions regardless of their post count.

Besides, he is correct, all Windows variants before Windows 95 ran on top of DOS.

If you are installing straight from the floppies onto a blank hard drive, you should try installing DOS first then install Windows 3.1

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 140, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Well, I want to be able to play most games from the 90's to 00's

With windows 3.1? 🙄
Best OS would be Windows 98. You would still have DOS, and everything else Windows offers.

How are you planing to run DirectX Games with 3.1?

Reply 17 of 140, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Oh, um well... would windows 98se be a good platform?

Yes, but that is just my opinion. I consider a Windows 3.1 machine a dead end. Windows 98 would cover all those years for DOS and Windows gaming. There are probably some limitations, but those come from the hardware you are using. It's too damn fast for early 90's. P3 500 is Q1 1999... So you get the picture...

Reply 19 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, thanks to a mister James Davison from "NetLink" (I have no idea who this guy is or what that company is). I took the hd with windows 98 out of his former office computer (Bought it off of ebay). So, now I have win98SE with sb16 drivers and ati rage pro agp drivers. Next I need to replace the cd drive (it must be possessed because it randomly opens and closes). 😜