VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 381 of 965, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, we've had plans for this for some time. The closest we have right now is tools to:

- generate thousands of combinations of timbre parameters, MIDI notes, velocity, etc.
- send the MIDI to the real CM-32 and capture the digital output
- send the same MIDI commands to Munt and record its output (using mt32emu-smf2wav)
- give statistics on the accuracy of each combination and help track down any problem areas

Our future plans include recording the values poked to I/O registers by the MCU on the real device (via the real thing or CPU emulation) and comparing it to Munt's equivalent.

These tests are complicated by the fact that we're not quite bit-perfect yet (though getting very close in many respects). Also, due to the asynchronous interactions of MIDI input, timers, communication between the CPU and LA-32 and so on, the sounds are generated somewhat nondeterministically (they can differ on each run).

Reply 384 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Current build of Qt-based GUI-enabled mt32emu for Win32.
https://github.com/downloads/sergm/munt_devel … _2011-12-10.zip

It needs installed and working mt32emu MIDI driver, though it's included and accompanied with trivial drvsetup.

For linux you'll need to type at least:
cmake .
make
sudo make install

to build from sources.

For porting to Mac OS X we strongly need CoreMidi / CoreAudio module, so any help is appreciated.

Reply 388 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Shouldn't coremidi module be straightforward when you look at how dosbox, scummvm, exult implement it?

Personally I'm passing on qt stuff, too many dependencies that screw things up (I'm biased, had to do something with it once, two years ago and that didn't work out)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 389 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Leolo:
sort of 😀 Just going crazy...

@Dominus:
Currently, we've difficulties with both coding and testing on Mac OS X. Thus, we need (your) help. Although, finding working GPLed RTP-MIDI capable class should solve the problem eventually.

Reply 390 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I can try stuff out but can't code. Especially when I promised Collector some stuff a year ago... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 393 of 965, by OmerMor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sergem: I have a working munt driver installed on my win7 machine.
When I run mt32emu-qt.exe and select Tools-->Test MIDI Driver I get the following error message:
---------------------------
Cannot open Synth
Control ROM file cannot be opened.
OK

And this is what gets written to the console before the process crash:
Init Error - Missing or invalid Control ROM image
Failed to open qSynth

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 395 of 965, by OmerMor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have both a real device, and the roms.
however - I managed to get this thing working. Apparently - the emulator does not like my mt32 control rom, but it does accept my cm32 roms so everything works now. I had to use the qt app to set the roms (and then found out were they are in the registry so I could confirm this was the case).

Can you tell me why my mt32 control rom is not accepted (not shown in the rom selection dialog)?
It has the following SHA1 hash: 7B8C2A5D-DB42FD07-32E2F22B-3340DCF5-360EDF92

Reply 396 of 965, by OmerMor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just saw in the source that it expects an MT32 control rom with SHA1 hash of B083518F-FFB7F66B-03C23B7E-B4F868E6-2DC5A987.
Does that mean that my ROM is corrupt, or that there was more than one version of it?

Reply 399 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As you can see from sources, only ROMs with known (hardcoded) size / sha1 digest are supported, and currently there're only 2 sets of ROMs available. The plan is to add many more ROM infos and to make emulation distinctive depending on each ROM set.