Retro Rig Photo Thread

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: Retro Rig Photo Thread

Postby PcBytes » 2019-1-14 @ 09:56

StrangeD0s wrote:
PcBytes wrote:
StrangeD0s wrote:Wow, how can you tell they are bad from this blurry photo?

Simple, I can notice the different reflection on those two as opposed to all other caps.

ASRock boards from that era tend to develop bad caps quite a lot.

So... is it worth to change the caps or better just through the whole board out? I am quite handy with a soldering iron.

If you think it's worth to replace the caps, you can go ahead and replace them, although a 848P motherboard with only 2 DDR slots doesn't sound like the best idea.
Main: Xeon X5450, 8GB RAM DDR2, DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS
Wolfram: C2D E6750, 2GB DDR2, ASUS P5K-SE/EPU
R.A.I.D: Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2GB DDR400, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Totem: Pentium S 166MHz, 128MB RAM, Totem TM-586TX4
Voodoo: AMD K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM, LuckyStar 5MVP3
PcBytes
Oldbie

Postby Poulton » 2019-1-15 @ 10:21

StrangeD0s wrote: Any tips? Will a better PSU resolve the issue?

Have you tried to dedust it via compressor, compressed air or something else? These things can collect a lot of dust inside.
Other resolve: Go with a new PSU. The motherboard has the P4 power connector, so any descent modern 300W to 400W PSU can handle it.

StrangeD0s wrote:So... is it worth to change the caps or better just through the whole board out? I am quite handy with a soldering iron.

Change the caps. These old Asrock Combo Socket Boards, like the one you have, are quite interesting and hard to find.
Poulton

Postby SW-SSG » 2019-1-15 @ 20:46

Poulton wrote:
StrangeD0s wrote:So... is it worth to change the caps or better just through the whole board out? I am quite handy with a soldering iron.

Change the caps. These old Asrock Combo Socket Boards, like the one you have, are quite interesting and hard to find.

Agree, would attempt to fix if possible; these old ASRocks are very unique and worth saving, even if there are usually better options out there feature- or performance-wise if one desires certain CPU compatibility or chipset choice.
SW-SSG
Oldbie

Previous

Return to System Specs