VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I am testing a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI Virge 86C325 VGA card. It's got 2MB of RAM onboard, and this amount cannot be upgraded. These RAM chips have 60MHz and also -40 written on them. Is the speed 60, or 40?

1) Link to the Windows 95 driver. Filename is DIAMOND_STEALTH_VIDEO_3D_2XX0_WIN9X_DRIVER.exe. Source: Diamond legacy download page.
2) Link to a generic S3 Virge 325 Windows 95 driver. Filename is W9531201.zip. Source: S3 graphics legacy download page.
3) Link to the Diamond Windows 3 driver. Filename is s3d31101.7z.
4) Link to the S3 Windows 3 driver. Filename is w3110505.zip. Source: S3 graphics legacy download page.
5) Link to a Vogons thread where user unmei220 discusses Virge specific games.

Notes
1) This package is a bit disorganised. It contains various W95 driver versions, and it isn't immediately obvious which one is the latest. Also, a Windows 3 driver is mentioned in one of the text files, but is missing. However, I have included two of them above.

2) This doesn't include Diamond's "InControl" tools utilitiy, and seems slower than Diamond's driver.

3) + 4) I haven't tested these yet. I'll test them very soon... Begin edit - I have now tested this, and commented about them in my second post below. (I have also tested Forsaken.) End edit.

5) I'm also going to test Forsaken... 😉

Test machine
I am testing this card on a 486 mobo, with the FSB set to 50MHz, and the PCI divider set to 1:1. The CPU used is an AMD 5x86 @ 133MHz, but I've set its multi to 3x, so the CPU is running at "3x & 50fsb = 150 MHz". I am using Windows 95, with the screen resolution set to 640x480x16-bit. The mobo's BIOS cache timing value is set to 2-2-2-2. That setting makes the Windows 95 CD-ROM's built in PCI Virge 325 driver work OK. If I set the mobo's cache timing value to 2-1-1-1, I get a critical boot up error, saying that the file VMM32.VX.D cannot be found. This file is associated with the PCI VGA card. Please note that this issue doesn't occur if I used a number nine PCI Virge 325 VGA card.

Benchmarks
Test configuration 1 of 5: using the Windows 95 built in PCI Virge 325 driver. The 4 screenshots below show information about this driver, and WinTune 98's video scores. Although the Direct3D score is good, this benchmark doesn't display correctly, so it's a failure.
s3_1a.jpg
s3_1b.jpg
s3_1c.jpg
s3_1d.jpg

Test configuration 2 of 5: using the generic S3 325 driver. This S3 Virge 325 driver makes the Direct3D tests behave normally. You can see the images properly this time. Previously, with the built in W95 CD-ROM driver, you couldn't see the graphics properly - there was no colour, just black images. The results are much slower, but that's probably because it's doing more processing now. However, compared to the later Diamond drivers discussed below, this score is poor.
s3_2a.jpg
s3_2b.jpg
s3_2c.jpg
s3_2d.jpg

Test configuration 3 of 5: using the Diamond driver, version v4.03.00.3217, including the Diamond "inControl" tools utility. That's more like it. The Direct3D score is the best so far.
s3_3a.jpg
s3_3b.jpg
s3_3c.jpg
s3_3d.jpg
s3_3e.jpg

Test configuration 4 of 5: using the Diamond driver, version v4.04.00.2104, including the Diamond "inControl" tools utility. And this is ridiculous - this "updated driver" includes an *older* InControl tools utility. When I installed this version after the software discussed above in test 3, a lot of pop up message boxes appeared saying that the file I am now currently copying over is older than the file version on my system. But no real complaints, as this is the Direct3D winning score.
s3_4a.jpg
s3_4b.jpg
s3_4c.jpg
s3_4d.jpg
s3_4e.jpg

Test configuration 5 of 5: using the Diamond driver, version v4.10.01.0069, including the Diamond "inControl" tools utility.
s3_5a.jpg
s3_5b.jpg
s3_5c.jpg
s3_5d.jpg
s3_5e.jpg

Conclusion
The fastest Direct3D package seems to be 3d952104.exe, which is the penultimate release, and it can be found in the first download link at the top of this thread.

The card
PICT2459.JPG

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-05-10, 18:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Windows 3 driver please? I know I have included this driver in my links section above - it's at number 3). However, this package only includes the Diamond InControls lite tools package. I would really like to try the Diamond InControls "full / standard" tools package. The lite package includes the help files for the full / standard edition, and it shows lots of different set up screens you can mess about with - it looks interesting.

Also, I tried the Forsaken demo in Windows 95, and it froze. There wasn't a Virge specific launcher for this game. It had launchers for other graphics chips, eg 3dfx, etc. I tried the Moto Racer demo, and it worked really well! I also tried the Hellbender demo, and it worked, but the textures especially the sky were badly corrupted.

I also tried the generic S3 Windows 3 driver, listed in the links section, number 2). It worked, but it wasn't as good as the Diamond driver. The S3 driver package didn't have a set up utility, to allow me to pick a monitor, and the 1280x1024x256 resolution option was not displayed on the screen in an LCD friendly refresh rate, and so I just saw a blank screen. On the other hand, the Diamond InControl lite tools allowed me to select a custom monitor, and I could select a 1280x1024 resolution @ 60 Hz vertical refresh.

Reply 2 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sorry I can't help with the drivers, but I had bought the 4MB version of the card back then, infact it was my 1st "3d" accelerator (IIRC the 4MB version was called Stealth 3D 2000 PRO) ... that was before voodoo1 was announced (IIRC) and what made me order that card was 2 screenshots of CROC I saw in a magazine: one in software mode and another in ViRGE mode 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, I'll see if I can download a CROC demo! 😀 Regarding the InControls tools issue I was having - I wonder if the only Windows 3 version available for the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 is the lite version. Perhaps the full version of InControls is not suitable for this card? I had a browse here, which is the Diamond SuperCD, and I don't think I could spot anything.

Reply 4 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The help screen, taken from Diamond's InControls lite tools, for Windows 3. The odd thing is that many of the items shown in the help are not present in this lite version. For instance, all of the option buttons on the left hand side are absent.
s3_6_1.jpg

However, in the lite version, you do have a lot of monitors to choose from, which is nice.
s3_6_2.jpg

Here is the version information. I notice on the net here that there is a version 1.02 of the Windows 3 driver. But how do you download it? The files are all in their "expanded form", and not in one downloadable zip file. Do I need an FTP program to "hoover up" all of these individual files?
s3_6_3.jpg

Reply 5 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, what's the additional output connector on your Stealth 3D 2000? I've got one I've had from new - but it doesn't have that additional jack.

Attachments

• Filename
    s3d2000.jpg
    File size
    91.98 KiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 9 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did a google image search for this card, and it showed lots of pics. One of them was an image from the stason website. It's here. It says that this port is "audio out". I guess I can plug my headphones in to it, and hear the sound of the graphics being rendered. Perhaps not.

Reply 10 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if it has anything to do with the MPEG daughterboard? I've never seen one in action though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, audio-out is for the mpeg-decoder daughterboard...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website