VOGONS

Glue a heatsink to a 486

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know a seller on eBay who sells them for $4 each. This is about double the cost you can find them from looking around on seekic.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 61 of 64, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While we're on the topic of weird boards, CPUs and stuff, a year or ago I helped scrap an old server my dad had, it was one of the monster quad pentium boards...but it had two motherboards on their side, they both plugged into a mini daughter board on the bottom ofthe case and...each motherboard had 4cpus each...dang I wish I had kept that, it was a beast and sounded like a jet starting up but.....omg also I bet of was bullet proof with all the metal. I'm kicking myself for scrapping it.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 62 of 64, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

While we're on the topic of weird boards, CPUs and stuff, a year or ago I helped scrap an old server my dad had, it was one of the monster quad pentium boards...but it had two motherboards on their side, they both plugged into a mini daughter board on the bottom ofthe case and...each motherboard had 4cpus each...dang I wish I had kept that, it was a beast and sounded like a jet starting up but.....omg also I bet of was bullet proof with all the metal. I'm kicking myself for scrapping it.

You should have because it was worth a lot and there are very few surviving machines let alone ones of that grade. 2 way socket 5/7 are rare but anything more than that I haven't seen but have seen a few examples of quad socket pentium pro boards pop up on ebay a few times. It was the ALR 6 socket board that was the most exciting.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 63 of 64, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. 🙁 well, it's probably been long melted down and turned into fillings and toyotas.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.