VOGONS

Latest munt and Windows 7 x64

Topic actions

First post, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aloha,

I own a MT-32 and CM-32L among others, but the recent news on munt development got me quite excited so I decided to give it a shot...

...alas, it won't install on my Windows 7 x64 system. 🙁 Searching through past posts here, it seems I'm not alone.
I'm still not quite clear though whether this is an "unsigned driver" issue, ie. can I force it to install somehow? or is the driver only suitable for 32-bit systems?
If so, if I grab the latest source would I be able to compile my own 64-bit target?

I guess there is always the option of resorting to a DOSBox CVS build, although I would much rather have a system-wide MT-32 device to play with...
Anything I can do to get it working?

Thanks in advance for any help! 😀

Reply 2 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32-bit drivers cannot work under 64-bit systems.

You need to use the standalone executable, which pretty much works like an external synthesizer. It's also more versatile than the driver. When something goes wrong with the driver, all you can do is reboot your machine. With the exe, you just need to click on reset or close and relaunch the app.

Reply 4 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SF version is prehistoric. Munt has been moved to GitHub. Sergey provides precompiled builds for Windows.

You will need a virtual MIDI cable to use the standalone executable. On W7-64, I suggest LoopMIDI.

Reply 5 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari Redux wrote:

You can get it to work on x64. I wrote an installer to do this. You can find it in this thread.

ykhwong MT-32 help?

Keep in mind that it installs an older version of the driver, but you can update it simply by overwriting the driver with the latest from Sergm's Git download page.

KingGuppy has my NSIS script and was going to put it on the Git hub after looking it over, but he hasn't been around much, lately.

Reply 6 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kaminari Redux wrote:

The SF version is prehistoric. Munt has been moved to GitHub. Sergey provides precompiled builds for Windows.

You will need a virtual MIDI cable to use the standalone executable. On W7-64, I suggest LoopMIDI.

Thanks for the pointers Kaminari! So, right now I am running loopMIDI and mt32emu.exe and am pointing my MIDI output to the loopMIDI port. Is that the way to do it? The counter on the loopMIDI panel is increasing, so I am assuming some data is getting through.... unfortunately, I hear no sound.
What am I missing?

Thanks again...

Reply 7 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
You can get it to work on x64. I wrote an installer to do this. You can find it in this thread. […]
Show full quote
Kaminari Redux wrote:

You can get it to work on x64. I wrote an installer to do this. You can find it in this thread.

ykhwong MT-32 help?

Keep in mind that it installs an older version of the driver, but you can update it simply by overwriting the driver with the latest from Sergm's Git download page.

Well, that worked! I kept having to check my MT-32 wasn't switched on because it was so strange hearing the sounds come out of my PC 😜

Thank you. One quick question - which files does your app write to which system directories? I noticed it writes the two ROM files as well as the DLL to SysWOW64. Anything else? Is there a way to keep the ROM files somewhere else? I'd rather not have them cluttering up system directories, if I can help it...

Reply 8 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is it. I am not sure what would be necessary to move the ROMs. Perhaps Sergm would have some idea.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

That is it. I am not sure what would be necessary to move the ROMs. Perhaps Sergm would have some idea.

Does the DLL make use of the mt32emu.ini file at all?

Reply 10 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I first wrote the installer the driver did not include the ini or the GUI. I am a little surprised as writing INI files in the Windows directory is an outdated method of storing preferences. I would have expected Registry entries to store this information, but I guess portability might be part of the consideration, even though the driver is Windows only. It would have only required one key.

I see that it does have a path to ROMs statement. You can experiment with it.

Reply 11 of 31, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Well I tried exactly that, but whenever I replace the dll, the emulator stops working. Does it work for you with the most recent dll?

Reply 12 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Timar wrote:

Well I tried exactly that, but whenever I replace the dll, the emulator stops working. Does it work for you with the most recent dll?

Yup, works for me - copied the new DLL to the SysWOW64 directory.

Reply 13 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mikity wrote:

So, right now I am running loopMIDI and mt32emu.exe and am pointing my MIDI output to the loopMIDI port. Is that the way to do it? The counter on the loopMIDI panel is increasing, so I am assuming some data is getting through.... unfortunately, I hear no sound.

In the LoopMIDI setup, you have to create a MIDI port by entering a name and clicking on the + button. That port will be assigned a specific number by Windows, but it's not indicated anywhere and you will have to find it yourself... 😖

In the Munt application, there's an option called "MIDI In Port". The default number 0 usually works on most systems, but depending on your config (if you have Microsoft GS Synth, Virtual Sound Canvas, etc.) the virtual cable might be assigned to another number. For example on my system, the LoopMIDI port is 1.

Reply 14 of 31, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, LoopMIDI can create and destroy virtual midi ports on the fly without needing a reboot!!

And installs much more smoothly than MIDIYoke on x64 systems.

Thanks Kaminari, I didn't know about this!

Reply 15 of 31, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mikity wrote:

Yup, works for me - copied the new DLL to the SysWOW64 directory.

Thats really strange. I tried it again and again - no sucess. It works only with the original dll from the installer. Have you changed anything else?

Reply 17 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just realized that by replacing the MT-32 roms with CM-32L ones, I can get the extra sounds! Cool 😎

I tried sending sysex data to Munt (using SendSX) but it didn't seem to work. Should it?

Reply 18 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think both ROM sets should be kept separate. Munt will ultimately be able to let you configure what mode you want it to run (MT-32, CM-32...) depending on the available ROMs.

About the sysex messages, I can send them without any problem to the external synth (Windows app). If I recall correctly, back in 2005 I wasn't able to manually send custom sysex to the Windows driver.

Reply 19 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kaminari Redux wrote:

I think both ROM sets should be kept separate. Munt will ultimately be able to let you configure what mode you want it to run (MT-32, CM-32...) depending on the available ROMs.

Yup, sorry if I was unclear, I didn't rename them, I just removed the MT-32 roms and put the CM-32L ones there instead... and everything worked, this time with extra sound effects.

Kaminari Redux wrote:

About the sysex messages, I can send them without any problem to the external synth (Windows app). If I recall correctly, back in 2005 I wasn't able to manually send custom sysex to the Windows driver.

OK. Do you know if there is an easy way to "reset" the device after a sysex has been sent? On my real MT-32 I just used to switch the device off and then on again 😜