VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you find my other systems:

NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD: NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD
VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM: VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM
MY IMPRESSIVE 286 12/16 SYSTEM: My impressive 286 system!
MY ROCKING AMD 486 - 133 MHZ SYSTEM: MY ROCKING AMD 486 - ??? MHZ SYSTEM VLB
MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM: MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM
MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM
ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM: ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM
MY 32-BIT COMPATIBLE OLDER SYSTEM LATER ON

Lately i hadnt a case for this build, few days ago i find a nice one..
Its a nice bigtower. And i have stripped it completly today..

There was an older socket 7 motherbord in from the year 1994.. with a pentium 90 processor in it. It had a S3 trio PCI VGA adapter.. And finding a nice GRAVIS GAMEADAPTER IN IT WITH SPEED ADJUSTER!!

It had also a soundblaster 16 in it.. So i stripped the whole stuff.. Cleaning it from dust and dirt.. And now the system is running with a AUVA computer TAM/40-u1 80386 motherboard... I choose this over the MSI compaq one because it have full 8 of 16-bit slots.. It was hard to find a place for my soundblaster pro with de NEC X385 wavetable on it.. Because its a little bit higher, its blocking a upper ISA slot.. So i had to put this card on the top of the bord.. And needed to swap the memory.. The lower on the front, the higher above.. I installed:

-Acer S20 Magic Soundblaster PRO OPL3 with NEC X385 daughterboard
- The SIIG Enhanced IDE interface controller with COM and LPT onboard
- A Roland LAPC-I sound device
- Gravis Ultrasound ACE Version 1.0 upgraded with full memory.
- Place for a SCSI 16-bit controller card for CD-ROM Device and Second SCSI harddisk (if i need more space)
-Placed one of mine ATI VGA WONDER+ 512Kb in. ( I replace this soon with a 1MB VGA adaper.)
-Place for two 16 bit ISA slots left..
The harddisk is an older Seagate medalist 1.7GB (older version)
Had also a 2.1 gb here, but doesnt spinning anymore. I think the motor is dead, so throw it away.

Pictures:

1-Ka-U1-C2r-Hp0i29-Eoo5-ZAs7yo-BXXu5-Ht2r-Tixkj-Ke-QRp-PNRngh9.jpg
This would be the case for this build.

Only the pin of the lit has been broken, try to search a solution for it..
Case have enough space for my ideas..

The setup:

AUVA TAM/40-u1 Full of 8 of 16-bit slots.
Acer magic S20 with NEC X385 wavetable board
SIIG IDE Enhanced bios card support for 2 harddisk drives only
and one floppy drive (doesnt detect cd-rom nor zip drives..)
Roland Lapc-i MPU-401 card
Gravis Ultrasound ACE ver1.0 with upgrade 1024KB
8-bit future domain TMC-850M SCSI card, i have take this out and soon wil replace it for an 16-bit SCSI one without floppy drive connector, so i could use a zip drive, cd-rom drive, 2nd or 3rd harddisk..
Temperoraly ATI Wonder+ 512MB Graphics card.
for now 8mb of memory..

Last edited by Robin4 on 2020-08-31, 17:34. Edited 18 times in total.

Reply 2 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No..(maybe i have an older version, but iam glady happy that i can use bigger harddisks in this system, smaller drives are harder to find these days) I think to going use scsi.. then i dont need to use of mscdex.. I hate cd-rom drivers..

Only need to find an 8 bit 50 pin scsi ISA controller. I hope that this 8-bit card have enough bandwith for these cd-rom player(s)

Reply 3 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam waiting on new batteries for my camera, if i have those i should make some pictures of the stuff.
And still waiting on my new computer case.. 😵

Reply 4 of 33, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pics or it did not happen :p

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 5 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will make them soon if the case arrives. It takes now about 4 a 5 weeks to get that new case, but still its not here..Has someone experience with this ebay seller?
salesatcomputercloseout ?? He said that he shipped it to me.. And its not still here.. But can give me full refund (if he does) for this auction if i doesnt get this case in about 2 weeks left. The beautiful is that this item isnot trackable. Its cost me about 89 dollars for shipping only.., and he could not ship it good to me.. I never had shipping problems with ebay, only on this expensive new AT case...that cost me an fortune..

Reply 6 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't experience with that seller, but I have noticed shipping can often take a while. I've had many shipments not have a tracking number, but so far everything I bought on Ebay did end up at my doorstep (bought maybe 30 or 40 items so far???....uhm ok, maybe 50! 😜).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep an eye on it. Paypal and eBay only give you about 2 months to lodge a dispute. If it's not arrived in another 2 weeks ask for a refund. If you don't get the refund make sure you lodge a dispute before the time runs out.

Having said that, its a big item and I assume you're shipping internationally so some delays aren't out of the ordinary.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For 90 bucks of shipping I expect real time GPS updates 😁

If it goes on a plane, it shouldn't take long. But it they sent it via surface (boat) then you can wait months.

I looked into these options when I got all my Roland gear from Japan. In the end I went with EMS and the service was fantastic.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The good news is that i have the memory chips for my soundcards.. The bad is that iam still waiting on that case.. I think it could take a while..

If i find a second hand case, then i could build the stuff in that case.. AT cases are very hard to get.. If i had my moped car i could go to fli markets..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

The good news is that i have the memory chips for my soundcards.. The bad is that iam still waiting on that case.. I think it could take a while..

If i find a second hand case, then i could build the stuff in that case.. AT cases are very hard to get.. If i had my moped car i could go to fli markets..

Keep an eye on tweakers.net and marktplaats. I got a couple cases from there CHEAP even. They don't come along often though.

If all else fails, I'd suggest to just use (an old) ATX with the appropriate adapters 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 33, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Time to get a refund. Even surface mail should have arrived by now.

Reply 12 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was send with USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM

Somebody knows how long this would take to sending a case like this from USA to the netherlands?

Reply 13 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Robin4, your case might be at your country's import Customs centre. Perhaps they are waiting for an import customs payment to be made? Maybe you have not received a letter from your Customs centre, telling you about this situation?

Reply 14 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, had the same happen to me a couple times. It suchs, but it happens, not much you can do about it except pay up. But you should've received notice if this happened.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Robin4, your case might be at your country's import Customs centre. Perhaps they are waiting for an import customs payment to be made? Maybe you have not received a letter from your Customs centre, telling you about this situation?

Normally you get an invoice (bill) from the dutch post center if they arrive at my door..

Nothing received here.. and the seller can`t let me see any proof of shipment... (no bill, nothing..) So i don`t havent any proof if this case was shipped..

Reply 16 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Yup, had the same happen to me a couple times. It suchs, but it happens, not much you can do about it except pay up. But you should've received notice if this happened.

I also didnt received a notice or something else.. Totally nothing..

Reply 17 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the seller has no proof of shipment ask him for a refund. If he won't do that file a dispute on ebay/paypal. Although it might be too late as they only give you 2 months or so to do that.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 18 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

If the seller has no proof of shipment ask him for a refund. If he won't do that file a dispute on ebay/paypal. Although it might be too late as they only give you 2 months or so to do that.

Yes i asked him 2 or 3 days ago for an refund.. and then mailed him again, but no response.. For the dispute, iam already to late for that (it was indeed 2 months to do that because waiting off that case).. I think i can whistle to my money, but i give him already bad feedback.. So i hope hey will respond now..
And would resolve this a.s.p.

Reply 19 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I also didnt received a notice or something else.. Totally nothing..

God d****d!

Just read this after responding to your PM

I seriously hope he did send the package.

Report spammers here!