VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow Steam seems to bring out some emotions 🤣

I only had a support issue once (credit card related) and that was fixed quickly. Whenever I have an issue or a question I actually just use the Steam game forum. Lots of switched on people there and I usually find the answer in a previous post or FAQ.

The way games are sold and delivered is certainly changing. If one day Steam goes bust, a lot of people will be sad, including me. In general I see a trend away from owning and towards subscription based models. But the market isn't quite ready for this yet.

I admit I'm blessed with decent broadband, but I can see how the online checks and auto updates can be an issue for some users.

Just a matter of time when the next consoles won't come with discs and disc drives at all. It will be all through online stores and HDDs inside the consoles.

I also see a trend towards selling some games cheap enough so that you buy it on various platforms (phone, PC, console...), This works very well for retro games which some likely have purchased several times over simply because it was cheap / because I can.

Finally as Steam grows, there will be the day (might already be here) that Steam becomes the place to avoid and other places become the new Steam...

It's already the case that outside of crazy sales, games on Steam can be quite pricey.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Wow Steam seems to bring out some emotions LOL […]
Show full quote

Wow Steam seems to bring out some emotions 🤣

I only had a support issue once (credit card related) and that was fixed quickly. Whenever I have an issue or a question I actually just use the Steam game forum. Lots of switched on people there and I usually find the answer in a previous post or FAQ.

The way games are sold and delivered is certainly changing. If one day Steam goes bust, a lot of people will be sad, including me. In general I see a trend away from owning and towards subscription based models. But the market isn't quite ready for this yet.

I admit I'm blessed with decent broadband, but I can see how the online checks and auto updates can be an issue for some users.

Just a matter of time when the next consoles won't come with discs and disc drives at all. It will be all through online stores and HDDs inside the consoles.

I also see a trend towards selling some games cheap enough so that you buy it on various platforms (phone, PC, console...), This works very well for retro games which some likely have purchased several times over simply because it was cheap / because I can.

Finally as Steam grows, there will be the day (might already be here) that Steam becomes the place to avoid and other places become the new Steam...

It's already the case that outside of crazy sales, games on Steam can be quite pricey.

The day when games are only available for download is the day when I and a lot of other gamers will stop playing.

Reply 22 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Complain to all the people who buy these games...

Why would you complain to the people who buy the games? It's the people who set up the inane copy protection scheme that requires online connectivity at all times that need to be complained to.

Reply 24 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

People buy it, so there is no problem from the companies side of view.

True. In the end game companies these days are about a single thing: Making money. Apparently the steam and steamclones seem to be the best way forward for game companies.

But as long as I can keep playing games offline, I don't really care too much. I usually play 5+ year old games anyway. Btw, often after 5 years or so, theres a chance some new offline mod has been developed

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, another 'physical copies > steam' rant thread.

I'm not a steam fangirl, but I do consider it the least of the digital distribution evils.

If you want some serious shit, try Origin and GFWL. They will make your Steam complaints look silly.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I'm not a steam fangirl,

You're a girl? I wasn't aware there were any on here. The only other serious girl computer geek I ever knew of was Danamania from Australia, but she's into vintage Macs. You'll find her in various places around the internet but mostly at 68kmla. Her most famous achievement was almost(!) getting OS X to boot on a 68040 Mac Quadra 650 using PearPC for Linux. The gray loading screen with the Apple in the middle was as far as it got before the old hard drive died. It was still quite an achievement, though.