VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

Modern building materials provide strength and structural integrity even when very thin, but their insulation properties suck.

So true. Over here the mostly built CHEAP. The size of the bricks here is almost a joke. Let's worry about cooling and heating later and throw more money at it 🤣

There are these dugouts in parts of Australia. Just like the name implies, a house, dug out of into the ground 😁

I also saw something on TV ages ago. They moved this factory underground which allowed them to save bucketloads in $$$$ by not having to cool.

Reply 21 of 29, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All this sounds a bit "penny-wise, pound foolish"- I think that before we talk about switching off the refridgerator and living partially underground and all that, maybe we should do something first about gas-guzzling oversized vehicles. They consume more fossil fuels and contribute more to pollution than your toaster, fridge or PC. Plus do you really need a 5 litre, 2 ton SUV to drive your kids to soccer practice???

Reply 22 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sgt76 wrote:

All this sounds a bit "penny-wise, pound foolish"- I think that before we talk about switching off the refridgerator and living partially underground and all that, maybe we should do something first about gas-guzzling oversized vehicles. They consume more fossil fuels and contribute more to pollution than your toaster, fridge or PC. Plus do you really need a 5 litre, 2 ton SUV to drive your kids to soccer practice???

Of course you need this, saying you don't smells of bad commie shit 😉

Reply 24 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Of course you need this, saying you don't smells of bad commie shit 😉

There is a big difference between pc gaming and a 2ton SUV I think. 😜

It's all communist shit trying to lower the western standard of living.

Reply 26 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Wait until you start adding up all the other things you keep plugged in all the time and see how much power they draw. Almost everything still draws power when it is left plugged in. Things like clocks, coffee makers, toasters, microwave ovens, televisions, radios, etc all add up to a huge power draw even if you don't use them very often. I used to have a friend in school whose parents would turn off the main breaker before they left the house every morning and their power bills were next to nothing every month. They didn't have to worry about the food spoiling from the refrigerator being off because there was nobody home during the day to open the door all the time so it was still cold when they got back.

This is actually a very good tip 😉

I actually unplug everything I don't use, except for the fridge and the boiler. I also disconnect any UTP cables to prevent any of my rigs from getting damaged with an unlucky lightning strike.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Hmm, funny you should say that since communism is a western invention. Talk about irony.

No, it's not a western invention. How can it be western when it propogates the idea that all private property is illegal and that it is ok for people to just take what they want from the people who have it? That is in direct opposition to western values and therefore not western. Just because Marx and Engels happened to be Europeans does not make them representative of all of western civilization. Nick Griffin, the leader of the BNP, is British but that doesn't make him or his views representative of those of the British people as a whole.

Reply 28 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sliderider wrote:
sgt76 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Hmm, funny you should say that since communism is a western invention. Talk about irony.

No, it's not a western invention. How can it be western when it propogates the idea that all private property is illegal and that it is ok for people to just take what they want from the people who have it? That is in direct opposition to western values and therefore not western. Just because Marx and Engels happened to be Europeans does not make them representative of all of western civilization. Nick Griffin, the leader of the BNP, is British but that doesn't make him or his views representative of those of the British people as a whole.

Well, then call it an invention of persons from the western world.

Reply 29 of 29, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Don't confuse "invention" with "adoption" / "practice". Marx and Engels did invent Communism, they were Germans, which lies within the Western sphere and therefore it was invented by the Western world. It may not have been adopted by the Western world but it was definitely invented there.

In any case, what's so bad or negative about having invented communism? It served it's purpose in many parts of the world. And you shouldn't take my "commie shit" statement at the beginning of this thread too seriously- it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Anyway apologies if the humour did not translate well- it is difficult to cross language and cultural barriers when they are so vast.

P.S. I don't not think Nick Griffin is an appropriate comparison to Marx/ Engels- he wouldn't qualify, in the great scheme of things, to be a boil on Marx's arse.