Common searches

Reply 20 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
srmeister wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

The good news is that if your socket has these tabs, you could make your own z-wires. Only thinhg you'd need is a metal wire that's stiff enough that it will keep it's shape and a way to reshape them (I'd think heat them up so you can change the shape, let them cool down so they keep that shape).

great explanation!!! a thousand thanks!! My Socket3 hast these tabs and i think im gonna make a Z-Clamp for it!

yw 😀

And feel free to let us know what your experiences were, others might learn from you that way 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Is bumping 5+ year old threads just a normal thing now?? Did I miss the memo?

You mean this memo? 😜

Tetrium wrote:
srmeister wrote:
Hi Tetrium, […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Yup. But I find it easiest to mount a cooler to a Socket 3 socket with a wire clip

Hi Tetrium,

Can't find any cheap/used coolers on ebay for a Socket 3.

can you go into a little detail on how to mount a cooler onto a Socket 3? What exactly is a wire clip?
Is there any sort of easy-to-get solution, like a Socket A/462 cooler that fits on a Socket 3?

Valid necro 😉

Anyway, one of the Vogons moderators (I think it was Stilleto?) mentioned in another bumped thread it was perfectly fine, provided it was a valid kick and I think this one is fine too (though I wouldn't like to have people kick old threads for no reason whatsoever either).

Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 33, by srmeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the thread on Vogonswiki marked as interesting and i think very valuable.(see Tetriums signature) So i wonder why it hasnt received more attention over the years! 😉
Besides this, it maybe better to get topic-related information into one thread than spreading it on new threads.

Reply 24 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
srmeister wrote:

I found the thread on Vogonswiki marked as interesting and i think very valuable.(see Tetriums signature) So i wonder why it hasnt received more attention over the years! 😉
Besides this, it maybe better to get topic-related information into one thread than spreading it on new threads.

Ah, I should've known! 😁

Actually, I had worked on this list for a few months off and on, but at first for private use. Later on I decided to tidy the list and put it on the Vogonswiki because one of the problems with Vogons is that so much good info seems to get buried so deep it gets hard to find again.

Not years though, I actually created that page like a week ago! 😜
Nice to see it actually sees some use, yay my first happy customer! 😁

And sorry for straying off topic a bit 😊

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-02-03, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 33, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

You mean this memo? 😜

Yeah, I saw that, just meant more generally.

Tetrium wrote:

Anyway, one of the Vogons moderators (I think it was Stilleto?) mentioned in another bumped thread it was perfectly fine, provided it was a valid kick and I think this one is fine too (though I wouldn't like to have people kick old threads for no reason whatsoever either).

Yeah, just seems like it's on the rise.

Maybe it's not and I'm just getting more cranky as I get old. 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 26 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Yeah, I saw that, just meant more generally. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

You mean this memo? 😜

Yeah, I saw that, just meant more generally.

Tetrium wrote:

Yeah, just seems like it's on the rise.

Maybe it's not and I'm just getting more cranky as I get old. 😜

I did notice it happen a couple times since this year or so, but the one before this one was the same person who had started that thread a couple years prior. He basically came back to let us know how his thingy ended up, which is I think preferable to someone disappearing forever, so the tread remains without an answer. Gotta love googling a problem and finding a thread in which someone describes your problem, but never replies what the fix was 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 33, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm vaguely cranky about 5-year necros still, BTW, Tetrium got in there with his stupid "valid necro" comment before I had a chance to do anything about it. 😉

Conversations on the Internet have a longer lifespan than in Real Life, but there's still a point where all participants have dropped out and it makes more sense to start a new conversation.

Y'know, I think that's where people who get antagonized by necros differ from those okay with ten-year-old bumps. Some people see threads as mere repositories of information and thus it makes more sense to categorize everything relate under one topic. People who hate necros see threads as a conversation that happened between a few (or a lot of) people at a certain time, with a certain relevance to the time period and a lifespan.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

I'm vaguely cranky about 5-year necros still, BTW, Tetrium got in there with his stupid "valid necro" comment before I had a chance to do anything about it. 😉

Conversations on the Internet have a longer lifespan than in Real Life, but there's still a point where all participants have dropped out and it makes more sense to start a new conversation.

Y'know, I think that's where people who get antagonized by necros differ from those okay with ten-year-old bumps. Some people see threads as mere repositories of information and thus it makes more sense to categorize everything relate under one topic. People who hate necros see threads as a conversation that happened between a few (or a lot of) people at a certain time, with a certain relevance to the time period and a lifespan.

Good points.

I added a mention on the Wiki page (the one in my signature) about not rezzing ancient threads and to create a new thread instead 😀

I don't mind rezzing an old thread too much, provided it's done for a (very) good reason.

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 33, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Necroposting does seem to happen fairly regularly, and someone always gets told off for it. Usually the thread derails a bit while necroposting is discussed, like is happening here. So if everyone dislikes it so much, why not just automatically lock topics once it has been a certain time since the last post? I've seen other forums where that happens. Or if that's not desired, then maybe necroposting should be explicitly permitted so when it happens the thread doesn't derail all the time.

Seems to me that locking old topics is better than turning them all into discussions about necroposting...

Reply 31 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malvineous wrote:

Necroposting does seem to happen fairly regularly, and someone always gets told off for it. Usually the thread derails a bit while necroposting is discussed, like is happening here. So if everyone dislikes it so much, why not just automatically lock topics once it has been a certain time since the last post? I've seen other forums where that happens. Or if that's not desired, then maybe necroposting should be explicitly permitted so when it happens the thread doesn't derail all the time.

Seems to me that locking old topics is better than turning them all into discussions about necroposting...

^ agreed

Though not everybody dislikes it a lot. Sometimes when it's perfectly on topic I don't even notice and often the necroposter himself will actually state some form of apology and (especially in the more serious threads which are basically about any certain subject) a question which is perfectly fitting in the subject of an old thread that gets necroed because of that question, I think it's perfectly fine to do that as the only thing 'out of the ordinary' is the little date stamp of the final 2 replies and sometimes it's actually interesting to read how we thought about certain issues we had back then, how we found a solution and how far we've come since then.

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 33, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-1 on the auto lock, I like to revisit my old build threads from time-to-time and add fascinating post scripts.

What I would like to see on this forum is auto removal of image links in quoted replies. For some reason people think it's OK to quote posts with masses of pictures, and leave them all in there?!

Going way off topic though, that's fine 😀 (sorry Tetrium)

Life? Don't talk to me about life.