VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

Let's list the PC games sounding the worst.

I will start

-> The Dark Heart of Uukrul

Posting this game as first candidate isn't very fair because this game doesn't sound at all. Not even a single beep. On the other hand, it's a solid RPG with a compelling story.

-> Tetris (Spectrum Holobyte I think, circa 1987)

I was playing it this afternoon using DOSBox. Man, this sucks. This game is a classic. Sound should be a little more polished. I even tried Tandy mode hoping sound would be better but no dice. I also got some weird graphical corruption using both machine=Tandy and machine=PCJr

-> Gryzor (Banana Development). I recall most games made by Banana Development sucked to some degree. I haven't played Gryzor (Contra?) on other platforms but I recall the PC sound to be just awful.

Reply 1 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. The epic fail is the fail in the all cathegories. Sound included.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Xenon 2 Megablast

Yea what a shame it didn't have Adlib / Sound Blaster like GODS.

But it was a very early game I think.

Reply 6 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

compared to some other PC Squealer games, Xenon2 sounded like a heavenly chorus of angels

take Tapper for instance, everyone in my family used to dread the moment that floppy went into the drive... that music is some next-level crap you really don't wanna hear through an XT clone's big honkin' speaker. The overall effect could be accurately described as "like a distorted Moog being amplified through a cricket's ass".

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 9 of 9, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Most anything played through the internal speaker. The internal speaker was a poor substitute for a sound card and external speakers.

4D Boxing I feel is an exception, it utilized the PC speaker in the "right" way utilizing digitized sounds. I was suprised how "nice" it actually sounded.