VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you find my other systems:

NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD: NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD
VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM: VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM
MY IMPRESSIVE 286 12/16 SYSTEM: My impressive 286 system!
MY ROCKING AMD 386-40MHZ: Rocking AMD 386 DX 40Mhz system build
MY ROCKING AMD 486 - 133 MHZ SYSTEM: MY ROCKING AMD 486 - ??? MHZ SYSTEM VLB
MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM: MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM
ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM:: ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM
MY 32-BIT COMPATIBLE OLDER SYSTEM LATER ON

Today i went to somebody from a advertisment for the computercase for the 80386 build.. Only the nice is she had also 2 other cases for selling.
or better said: i could only buy the cases i intressed in if i also take the other two cases with me in one buy..

So i think ok for 15 euro couldnt be a big problem.. Then when i came back from a hour journey i checked the stuff what i had bought.. I begon with stripping one of the cases... What is found:

-Soundblaster 16
-Soundblaster live, with a midi bracket out)
-Soundblaster live 5.1
-An DVD/MPEG decoder card
-Diamond Viper V770 32MB
-Pentium II 400 SECC processor

So when iam was finished. I liked one case very much for my build. Its looks almost like new...

So i had also parts laying over here, so it was very easy to build this system with the other parts i have over, from stripping

So i rebuild the system to:

-Take the case i like the most.
-ABIT BE6 motherboard SLot 1
-Pentium II 400 Mhz secc processor slot 1
-3x 128 MB PC-100 Kingston (came out one of the stripped computers)
-Take de Diamond Viper V770 32MB AGP as main VGA adapter
- Add two Creative Voodoo2 in SLI (had laying here)
- One Netwerk adapter from INTEL OEM COMPAQ (change this later to 3COM(better compatibility)
-Add the Soundblaster LIVE with MIDI daughter board

Then i have a question..Could the games of that time area make the use of and YAMAHA XG60 soundcard or board (or only older games do?)

Thinking of one on this system, but dont know if games could use it..
Is it possible to connect a MT32 to the MIDI daugtherboard of the SB live card.

There isnt a harddisk for now. But think of using a 80GB one..
Ierlier my plan was to build an AMD K6 II system.. I think that wouldnt be a good idea. So i skipped that system, and replacing it with this one..
The case for the AMD K6II build iam going the use it for my Pentium rig.

Pictures:

43dsc00352.jpg

The case is a orginal PC PARADIGIT one there was orginally a pentium 4 in. But in the older model of this case you could buy them with pentium II.
PC PARADIGIT is a dutch computer seller company. In that time PC PARADIGIT was very familiar by people who bought computers from that company.. I got this case when i bought the AT case for my 80386 computer in one sell.. I liked this case so that it was a shame to dumped it..

20dsc00351.jpg

Inside there is a good almost tool free installation of 5.25inch devices..

60dsc00355.jpg
Used this soundcard for this system build.

75dsc00361.jpg

18dsc00362.jpg

ABIT BE6 motherboard SLot 1
-Pentium II 400 Mhz secc processor slot 1
-3x 128 MB PC-100 Kingston (came out one of the stripped computers)
-Take de Diamond Viper V770 32MB AGP as main VGA adapter
- Add two Creative Voodoo2 in SLI (had laying here)
- One Netwerk adapter from INTEL OEM COMPAQ (change this later to 3COM(better compatibility)
-Add the Soundblaster LIVE with MIDI daughter board

Like you would buy in 1999..

Last edited by Robin4 on 2015-08-29, 19:04. Edited 11 times in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 48, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Is it possible to connect a MT32 to the MIDI daugtherboard of the SB live card?

Err? DB60XG, as the example, have only the wavetable connector. You want to plug MT-32 to where? 😀
It is possible to plug in SB Live midi/joystick output (with the cable). But of cource without "Intelligent" mode. So, many games will sound wrong.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2012-02-07, 04:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 48, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could, perhaps, build a wavetable header -> MIDI adaptor cable.

I think it's easier to get a sound card with MIDI-out though.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 48, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

You could, perhaps, build a wavetable header -> MIDI adaptor cable.

I think it's easier to get a sound card with MIDI-out though.

This is what i have got from a stripped computer:

Sound%20Blaster%20CT4620.jpg

1215480817.JPG

The bracket is also to connect a MIDI device on it..

Reply 4 of 48, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

Is it possible to connect a MT32 to the MIDI daugtherboard of the SB live card?

Err? DB60XG. as the example, have only the wavetable connector. You want to plug MT-32 to where? 😀
It is possible to plug in SB Live midi/joystick output (with the cable). But of cource without "Intelligent" mode. So, many games will sound wrong.

DB60XG is ment as ISA card..

And connecting a MT32 or so to the MIDI inteface add-on card as you can see one post ierlier.. That bracket have MIDI in and MIDI out..

Reply 5 of 48, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Obviously, the word "daughterboard" is misleading, and made the guys think of a wavetable card. I have the same soundblaster live, and I used to try to connect a midi keyboard on one of those ps/2-like sockets. I ended up using a cheaper midi to joystick port cable. But if you really want to make use of your "bracketboard", I believe you need this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-5-pin-Mini-t … =item1c22e23042

Reply 6 of 48, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to clarify a few things:
The SB Live! daughterboard has mini-DIN plugs for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, so you could connect an MT-32 (if you have the mini-DIN to DIN converter cables). The daughterboard is connected to the SB Live! by a flatcable.
The Yamaha DB60XG is a MIDI daughterboard to put on a WaveBlaster connector; the Yamaha SW60XG is an ISA card with an analog input (to enable use of the effects filters on any sound source).

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 7 of 48, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok then its clear..

Should i have any benefit with that SW60XG card on a Pentium II
Or with an MT32 connected through the mini din connectors?

Are there games from that time range that could use one of these two methodes?

Reply 9 of 48, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pentium II 300 that I would like to make into a Voodoo II sli machine. How much ram do I need and what OS should I use. It currently has windows ME on it. Would like to play Powerslide, Unreal, UT99, Quake II, Redline, Thief Gold and a few others circa 1997-1999.

Reply 12 of 48, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam not planned to install a PIII on it.. Yes i can do that.. But i want to make it as a pentium II system.. For faster games iam building a Athlon XP with win98.. So i can play all the faster games with it.

Reply 13 of 48, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiremaster400 wrote:

I have a Pentium II 300 that I would like to make into a Voodoo II sli machine. How much ram do I need and what OS should I use. It currently has windows ME on it. Would like to play Powerslide, Unreal, UT99, Quake II, Redline, Thief Gold and a few others circa 1997-1999.

The best OS is windows 98SE for those games, I think. There's also a special patch kit which includes all official 98SE updates, as well as some user-made ones (this is important if you're going to run, say, a northwood with a newer BUS -- my Voodoo 4500 wasn't detected until I used that update pack).

You probably wouldn't need more than 128MB of RAM (in fact, 64MB would probably be sufficient). But being a P2, I'd max it out as much as you can within cacheable limits.
I have 768MB of RAM in my P2 system.

Reply 14 of 48, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build, though a 400mhz P2 seems a bit anemic for dual Voodoo2s.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 15 of 48, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
m1919 wrote:

Nice build, though a 400mhz P2 seems a bit anemic for dual Voodoo2s.

agreed. They need at LEAST 600 to live up to their potential. Thats why my v2 setup will be using a 1g chip.

other than that it looks AWESOME. I love the sb live daughter card. I kinda want one for myself.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 17 of 48, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't find the link at the moment, but I distinctly remember seeing benchmarks that show voodoo 2's can bog down cpu's up to about 600mhz.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It certainly depends on the game. For example, Quake 3 and UT99 definitely benefit from more CPU than a 600 MHz P3. It'll help when a lot is happening and the CPU gets loaded down with more animation and lighting.

Also you don't need to load the Voodoo2 SLI down with 1024x768. 640x480 or 800x600 obviously have more headroom for frame rate.

Reply 19 of 48, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I can't find the link at the moment, but I distinctly remember seeing benchmarks that show voodoo 2's can bog down cpu's up to about 600mhz.

Depends who did the benchmarks. Typically 3dfx cards were benchmarked in OpenGL or Direct3D instead of Glide... 🙄

With Glide, they stomped on pretty much anything nVidia or ATI could make (nVidia tried overclocking TNT chips to thermally terrifying levels in order to get something still below a Voodoo2). If Spectre had been commercially released, there would have been no competition.

Voodoo2 = P1
Voodoo2 SLI = P2

It's typically better to run later voodoos on later CPUs to get the best performance. Supposedly the chips can start to run super hot if mixed with later CPUs (I haven't tested that though). Why put a Voodoo2 in a later system when I have a 5500-PCI-with-DVI....