VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, are there special drivers for Ensoniq's ES1370? The card I recently acquired was made prior to Creative's acquisition of them and I can't seem to find anything on it. I'm using Win2000 Professional in the box I set it up in. Windows device manager lists it as a "Creative Audio PCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)." I can't seem to get Windows to play anything from hardware buffers, only software buffers. Am I missing something here or do I have incorrect drivers installed?

The one I downloaded via Creative's legacy products list doesn't work at all. Would an older NT4 driver work, perhaps? I can't believe I'm stuck on this. My other retro PC has a SB AWE32, Gravis Ultrasound, XG knock-off daughterboard, and a Roland Sound Canvas (external SC-55.) This one should be a walk in the park...

I do appreciate any advice. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 4, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I wonder if I should try installing Windows 98 or Dos on a parallel drive. I mainly built this computer as a Glide/3dfx machine, so I didn't need EAX or anything special like that. Windows games from that era, such as Klingon Academy and Quake 2 sound terrific. I would like to try out the card's MIDI functions as well. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NT4 drivers should work on 2000. (except video IIRC).

NT4 only supported DX3 though so depending on the games you may have issues with audio support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure that you can find XP drivers on Windows Update. I once used an AudioPCI-based card with Vista and found drivers on Windows Update.

ES137x are very basic, host-driven audio chips. Not much to lose out on by using MS drivers. However, I'm not sure if the MIDI softsynth is included with these drivers, or the (poor quality) DS3D/A3D/EAX support.