VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpnZlOJIqw

Back in the day of MS Dos and games such as Doom or Descent, General MIDI was all the rage. Almost every sound card company had a General MIDI capable product. But two companies stood out:

Roland and Yamaha.

Roland's Sound Canvas was really the main General MIDI standard and used my most game studios for testing and balancing their General MIDI soundtracks.

BUT this means that they aren't that easy to find these days, and if you do, be prepared to pay for it. On eBay however, you can find these fairly cheap NEC 385 wavetable boards. These are clones of the Yamaha DB60GX and fit on any sound card with a wavetable connector.

Some people swear by the General MIDI sound of these Yamaha boards, some stick with Roland. Now you can listen to both of them. I hope I made this comparison fair, interesting and fun to watch.

Personally I will stick to Roland. I had a Sound Canvas wavetable board when I was young so I am used to the way they sound. But if you have only experienced and grown up with Sound Blaster music then you might prefer the sound of Yamaha.

In the end it's all about the games and that we enjoy ourselves. So pick whatever you prefer and be happy!

Games featured in this video:

- Doom
- Doom 2
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Descent
- Raptor
- Warcraft
- Warcraft 2
- Space Quest 5
- Dark Forces
- Sam and Max

Reply 1 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Niiice. MPU401AT seems like the ultimate MIDI interface card. Best of both words there. That with MT32 and DB60XG, alongside SB Pro2 would be an unstoppable team!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Nice video! Prefer the Roland myself, but I must admit that I prefer Duke Nukem on Yamaha 😉

I used to have a preference, til I found that it basically boils down to which game sound better on which device, and even down to individual tracks!

I found that Doom is a huge mixed bag, some levels are better on Roland, some better on Yamaha, and some even sound best on GUS!

Reply 4 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Niiice. MPU401AT seems like the ultimate MIDI interface card. Best of both words there. That with MT32 and DB60XG, alongside SB Pro2 would be an unstoppable team!

Yes and no. I mention this in my vide, the MPU401AT doesn't seem to have a mixer (maybe it does??? I admit I didn't investigate) and the NEC 385 outputs a very strong signal.

Most games will therefore clip. Now many games allow you to reduce the volume inside the game, but not all. This is one of the reasons why I didn't test Privateer as it was clipping badly on the NEC 385 and the game has no volume option.

Reply 5 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yes and no. I mention this in my vide, the MPU401AT doesn't seem to have a mixer (maybe it does??? I admit I didn't investigate) and the NEC 385 outputs a very strong signal.

Aah yes, true that.

I've always had my XR385 on that CMI8330 based card, so I never noticed.

Only needing the one card would be a plus though, you could always run the audio out through an external mixer.

Up to the Sam & Max demo... eesh, a bit hit and miss with some instruments.... I'd almost say it sounds better on OPL3!

Reply 6 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One sound that stood out to me was the "alarm" sound in Space Quest 5. Sounds quite different on the NEC.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 27, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice comparison! I'm not really sure which I prefer; as has been said it varies from game to game. They both sound quite good though. I'm actually leaning slightly towards favoring the Yamaha I think.

I think after I take care of some other expenses I'll get one of those XR385 cards for my 486. It would be a nice addition to my real-OPL3 CT2940 and would be a good, cheap way for me to get into the world of MIDI, until the time when I get a more expensive setup down the line.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 8 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At that price and availability why wouldn't you 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Nice video! Prefer the Roland myself, but I must admit that I prefer Duke Nukem on Yamaha 😉

Exactly. I have both myself and I must admit, duke sounds better on yamaha. Everything else sounds better on roland.

Reply 12 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great vid!
Ive been doing the same but quickly unplugging the speakers from each device so I loose the contanunity.

For sound generally I prefer the Yamaha for bling I love watching the Roland's LCD screen.
but then there is always that 1 track I prefer on the other device. Like Raptor, the 1st mission I actaully prefer the standard SB16's midi

I think I saw somewhere Duke3d takes advantage of the XG extention on the Yamaha?

Reply 13 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wondering if that eBay seller is going to see an increase in his NEC 385 orders 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 27, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wondering if that eBay seller is going to see an increase in his NEC 385 orders 😀

Great vid! 😁 Although personally I think the NEC XR385 sounded better, but that's just my honest opinion.

With that said, i'm sure he will, however the real question is where the heck does he get all these NEC XR385 cards from!? 😁

He's been selling them for roughly 2 years now. 😳

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 15 of 27, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhaytalError wrote:
Great vid! :D Although personally I think the NEC XR385 sounded better, but that's just my honest opinion. […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Great vid! 😁 Although personally I think the NEC XR385 sounded better, but that's just my honest opinion.

With that said, i'm sure he will, however the real question is where the heck does he get all these NEC XR385 cards from!? 😁

He's been selling them for roughly 2 years now. 😳

In China there is a lot of scrapping companies that do a lot of recycling and that is how they have so much of these vintage pieces for sale. I once bought a k6-3+ e model for like $10!

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 27, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice comparison.

I have quite a few midi daughterboards, including original Yamaha DB50XG and also the Roland SCB7 and SCB15. I also have MT32 and SC-155. I tried them all and i decided for the Roland external gear. Very good sound from Yamaha but Roland has the edge on the games i play.

Reply 17 of 27, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

In China there is a lot of scrapping companies that do a lot of recycling and that is how they have so much of these vintage pieces for sale. I once bought a k6-3+ e model for like $10!

I saw this with Embedded S7 Pentium W/MMX 266 MHz recently. (a mix of single and bulk lots from china with something like 100 CPUs total being sold a few months back)

Reply 18 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it is a bit OT, but what camera did you bought to record this footage?
I am still considering buying some camera for indoor recording of computer stuff usually with bad artificial light. Can you recommend one?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 27, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not possible to have the roland handle trebble and the yamaha handle bass ? 😁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16