VOGONS

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get this strange squealing, screeching, nails running down a chalkboard, static, hissing sound at random. Reboot and it's gone.

One way I've recreated this is to run Duke Nukem 3D, exit out.. Then when I run Doom or HeXen the problem occurs. Starting either game before DUKE3D has been run, works without error.

Has anyone else encountered this problem on their AWE64 or similar Creative card? Any thoughts on how to resolve it, thanks.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your card physically clean i.e. no dust/debris?
I used to experience your symptoms including "scary horror sound feedback while there's no sound device detected" until I blew the percievably haunted card.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Is your card physically clean i.e. no dust/debris?
I used to experience your symptoms including "scary horror sound feedback while there's no sound device detected" until I blew the percievably haunted card.

I blew everything out real good with some canned air the other day.

It seems odd there's a pattern to what's happening. It doesn't appear there's any conflicting IRQ's, but somehow it feels like that.

I'm having another problem.. I'm not sure if it's related. In Rise of the Triad when an enemy shoots the screen goes black, quickly returns to normal until a shot's fired again. The enemies also get some white pixels on them.

Reply 4 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First thing I would test is another card if you have one.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

ISA bus clock a bit too high?

Hmm that might be an idea. Should I be running slower than stock settings you think?

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

First thing I would test is another card if you have one.

Unfortunately, this is the only card I have on hand atm.

It's strange that this happens in a pattern. Something getting stuck in sound card memory after running DUKE3D?

One time I loaded AWEUTIL and the screeching sound stopped.
UPDATE Just confirmed this again.
Second time didn't work so.. AWEUTIL /U then AWEUTIL sound normal again

AFTER RUNNING DUKE3D AWEUTIL TSR is dropped from memory? not sure why, but once it's running the problem doesn't occur.

Reply 6 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I had a look at the other thread. In the games, I assume you select AWE32 as sound device rather than Sound Blaster 16, which is OPL FM music?

If you reboot your machine after every game, do you still have an issue?

It seems that the issue points to Duke Nukem 3D maybe not "shutting down" (for lack of better term) the card properly when you quit?

UPDATE:

Ok I couldn't test Duke Nukem, but DIAGNOSE.EXE results in no more music playing games. Speech still works.

So I guess such games do need a reboot after quitting?

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Ok I had a look at the other thread. In the games, I assume you select AWE32 as sound device rather than Sound Blaster 16, which […]
Show full quote

Ok I had a look at the other thread. In the games, I assume you select AWE32 as sound device rather than Sound Blaster 16, which is OPL FM music?

If you reboot your machine after every game, do you still have an issue?

It seems that the issue points to Duke Nukem 3D maybe not "shutting down" (for lack of better term) the card properly when you quit?

UPDATE:

Ok I couldn't test Duke Nukem, but DIAGNOSE.EXE results in no more music playing games. Speech still works.

So I guess such games do need a reboot after quitting?

I'm using AWE32 in my settings, not SB16.

I noticed AWEUTIL gets dropped from RAM, so I reload it and it works. When I run DUKE and exit again, the problem reoccurs.

Reply 8 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just tested it on my AWE64 and same issue!

So I am pretty it's sloppy programming. Got the same sounds when I ran Doom after playing Duke 3D.

So all is good!

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just tested it on my AWE64 and same issue!

So I am pretty it's sloppy programming. Got the same sounds when I ran Doom after playing Duke 3D.

So all is good!

It's NOT all good LULZ !! (cursed perfectionist over here) 😀

I think I got this error with something besides DUKE3D.. wish I could remember. It'd be nice to pinpoint if it's the game or the drivers. Could still be dodgy drivers certain games react to.

If you got ROTT, can you install and see if you get screen blanking with enemy fire? NO NO Don't shoot! :p

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Reply 10 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you adjusted reserved IRQs in the BIOS? Awe64 PNPs can be annoying when they decide to pick port 260 irq 12 or so, which can lead to some games freezing like Doom (at least in my experience).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah that's not the issue in this case. It's a genuine bug that happens whenever you play Duke Nukem 3D and afterwards Doom or Doom 2.

Rebooting the machine after you play Duke Nukem 3D or loading AWEUTIL /S again resolves the issue.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Nah that's not the issue in this case. It's a genuine bug that happens whenever you play Duke Nukem 3D and afterwards Doom or Doom 2.

Rebooting the machine after you play Duke Nukem 3D or loading AWEUTIL /S again resolves the issue.

I also get this with HeXen after playing Duke3D.. probably happens with Heretic too.

I don't recall this happening a few yrs ago on a DOS 6.22 system vs my Windows 98 SE B aka DOS 7.1 system. The key hardware differences were as follows:

Then --> Now
Pentium 100 - 150 ? --> Pentium III 800EB
64 MB SIMM --> 512 MB SDRAM
AWE64 GOLD --> AWE64 Value

Reply 13 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few CF cards, one with DOS 6.22 and another one with W95B (for MS-DOS 7.1). It does the same on both!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just got to start AWEUTIL /S again so it's an easy workaround. Or you could just use General MIDI 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I have a few CF cards, one with DOS 6.22 and another one with W95B (for MS-DOS 7.1). It does the same on both!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just got to start AWEUTIL /S again so it's an easy workaround. Or you could just use General MIDI 😀

I just made a Duke3D BAT file..

@echo off
DUKE3D.EXE
C:\AWE64\AWEUTIL.COM /U
C:\AWE64\AWEUTIL.COM /S

I'm still getting the strange problem with ROTT.. Upon further investigation, the screen goes blank each time I get shot. So it's not the firing of enemy weapons that I previously thought.

I'm guessing the screen gets red or something each time you get shot. That overlay in video causes the issue. After it happens, I get white pixels on enemies and other parts of the environment. Freaking annoying!

Reply 15 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh just noticed I have this game in my GOG.com shelf 😊

I neve rplayed it. What do I need to do to check for that bug?

UPDATE:

Ok I got it running. The GOG.com version comes with SETUP.EXE!

However, I can configure AWE32 for sound, but it doesn't detect it for music. Even manually setting it in the sound.rot file doesn't work. Maybe it has a dodgy driver?

The message I get is "Could not detect AWE32". I chose address 330 which is the correct address.

General MIDI (external Sound Canvas) works fine though.

Also no black screen or blood when being shot. Maybe there is a gore mode to enable?

UPDATE: When you get shot it's like a flash goes off. Like a little bit bright for a split second. The enemies bleed though.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Oh just noticed I have this game in my GOG.com shelf :blush: […]
Show full quote

Oh just noticed I have this game in my GOG.com shelf 😊

I neve rplayed it. What do I need to do to check for that bug?

UPDATE:

Ok I got it running. The GOG.com version comes with SETUP.EXE!

However, I can configure AWE32 for sound, but it doesn't detect it for music. Even manually setting it in the sound.rot file doesn't work. Maybe it has a dodgy driver?

The message I get is "Could not detect AWE32". I chose address 330 which is the correct address.

General MIDI (external Sound Canvas) works fine though.

Also no black screen or blood when being shot. Maybe there is a gore mode to enable?

UPDATE: When you get shot it's like a flash goes off. Like a little bit bright for a split second. The enemies bleed though.

OK that's what I thought. Instead of the flash I'm getting a blank screen, but just for a split second when the flash should occur. I guess this isn't a AWE64 issue, but rather a video issue. My card supports VESA, but I'm not sure the game supports it.

Reply 17 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SUCCESS !! Updating ROTT v 1.2 --> v 1.3 fixed it !! I hadn't got around to updating all my games yet. I'm going to see if Duke3D is all the way up-to-date, because I don't remember having that issue in the past.

Reply 19 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:

SUCCESS !! Updating ROTT v 1.2 --> v 1.3 fixed it !! I hadn't got around to updating all my games yet. I'm going to see if Duke3D is all the way up-to-date, because I don't remember having that issue in the past.

Hmm mine is 1.3 (GOG.com version). When you select AWE32 for music, does it get detected?

My YouTube channel