VOGONS

Upgrading a 386SX - some advice!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 69, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you give other examples of boards that can use your upgrade module?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 61 of 69, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have ordered already something exotic that probably has the same layout.
I do not want to throw spoilers at people. I will make a video about that.
Either-way for me it is very simple to modify the adapter and reorder.

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com

Reply 62 of 69, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember when I was younger I had always heard about how there existed 386SX systems with removeable CPUs. I would often rummage through junk bins in used computers stores looking for such a motherboard. This was before eBay listings had many pictures, and search engines didn't have an image search, so the ability to locate such things was extremely limited.
Even today, finding such a board is rare. From what I can tell, the majority of boards configured this way were in OEM systems. Every time I find a board like this on eBay, I try to document it. Needless to say, I haven't found too many. But during my searches, I occasionally noticed a 386SX board with solder pads for what looked like a test socket...but the pinout never seemed to be very consistent.
One day over 15 years ago I managed to purchase several desoldered 386 QFP100 test sockets that had a staggered pinout. I searched for a long time for a board that I could solder one onto. I think in all my searching I only ever found 1 or 2 boards that looked like they might accept my sockets, but I think both of them were very old and not worthwhile.
There are at least 4 or 5 pinouts for 386SX test sockets that I am aware of. They all seem to be about equally uncommon. I think I may have seen the one on your M396 on perhaps one other board. The most common one I run into is used by the military grade 386SX in PGA, which is also extremely rare.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 64 of 69, by Diegov286c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
whaka wrote on 2022-05-02, 20:00:
ohhh i realize i didn't put my contribution here. i successfully upgraded 2 PS/2's with SXLC2 50 and 40 Mhz chip. […]
Show full quote

ohhh i realize i didn't put my contribution here.
i successfully upgraded 2 PS/2's with SXLC2 50 and 40 Mhz chip.

first is a model 35 (isa) originally with a SX20, successfully upgraded with the SXLC2 50 G50 (without 3,3v mod) , overclocked to 33 MHz. and for bonus, cache is enabled by bios.
and clock doubling work with software control, and 66 MHz is possible totally reliably. but i added a heatsink, clock doubling also mean heat doubling 😀.

second is a model 55SX (mca) originally SX16, successfully upgraded with the 40 Mhz (so real 5V part) , tried overclock to 20 MHz but fail. cache is enabled by bios.
clock doubling doesn't work, the machine crash. don't kno

- model 55SX
hi, i'm also modifying an ibm 55sx by mounting a 486-50 processor.. i wanted to ask.. how far can i put the quartz of the clock without the system exploding?!?!?!?

Reply 66 of 69, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The timing test in the BIOS fails on a 55SX for any speed crystal above ~18Mhz... i.e. it complains and won't boot.

edit: for clarity, it's a double speed crystal, that means you can't replace the 32Mhz with a 40Mhz, but a 36 might be okay and a 38 is a coin flip depending how warm or cold the system is at boot.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 69 of 69, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

386—>486 build

This is my 386 upgrade thread :p

Curious if anyone else has any ideas why I can’t get clock doubling to work?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)