AMD slot A 1000mhz cpu heat

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
An alternative to the aftermarket coolers might be the big Pentium II passive coolers that OEMs used. With an 80mm fan attached […]
Show full quote

An alternative to the aftermarket coolers might be the big Pentium II passive coolers that OEMs used. With an 80mm fan attached they should be great. But I'm not sure if they are all removable from the PII they are attached to.

For example. Many of these on ebay for cheap. Looks like hex screws.
image.jpg image.jpg

KGr_Hq_F_o_MFELv_W_Mm9_BRq_L9g_Q_p_Q_60_57.jpg KGr_Hq_R_n_YF_M_UQ13y_BRq_L9g_Imn_Q_60_57.jpg T2e_C16_V_y_EE9s5j_FKGVBRq_L9g_Yjw_60_57.jpg

THIS!^ also i'd clean off the old thermal paste and use MX2 or AS5, then strap on a 120mm fan with zip ties preferably with heat sink like above.

Reply 22 of 26, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
The Golden Orb is your friend […]
Show full quote

The Golden Orb is your friend

(too lazy to take my own pics so I stole from the internet)

IMG_0411Small.jpg

I also have one of the black heatsinks with a dual fan setup on another of my Slot A Athlons.

Looks great and probably would solve my dilemma but it means spending more money on this system.

Would a Thunderbird 650 run similarly hot like a 1000mhz?

Do the 650 cpu's have heat issues too?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 23 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those slot 1 coolers from my sisters old Compaq. came off a 450mhz pentium2, I think that thing would be alright with some some fans rigged up to it, not sure however since I have never utilized it on more than a 450mhz p3

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 24 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:
Looks great and probably would solve my dilemma but it means spending more money on this system. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
The Golden Orb is your friend […]
Show full quote

The Golden Orb is your friend

(too lazy to take my own pics so I stole from the internet)

IMG_0411Small.jpg

I also have one of the black heatsinks with a dual fan setup on another of my Slot A Athlons.

Looks great and probably would solve my dilemma but it means spending more money on this system.

Would a Thunderbird 650 run similarly hot like a 1000mhz?

Do the 650 cpu's have heat issues too?

I think my slowest Slot A is 700mhz but I haven't done much with that one since I upgraded to a 950 so I don't really know how how hot the slower ones run. The Golden Orb that I have came off of that one, though.

Reply 25 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Slot 750 (model "K75") and I actually rigged the fan for 7v to make it quiet. It doesn't overheat.

The 900+ MHz models kick out more heat but still I've run Tbird 1400 and Palomino 2000+ with relatively small heatsinks. As long as they don't hit 80C they should be stable.

@Rgart - can you get some sort of voltage reading? Maybe you're inadvertently overvolted. You could even try undervolting if the board can go under 1.75v.

Reply 26 of 26, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 1000 MHz Slot A Athlon CPU was the first CPU that AMD thought needed two heatsink fans. Pictures are here:
http://anandtech.com/print/498/

Also, here are some slot-CPU heatsink comparisons from back in the day:
http://www.anandtech.com/print/502/
http://www.speedy3d.com/articles/cooler_roundup1/01.shtml