VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GregHowe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there people!=)

I was the happiest man on earth the other day.. I had bought Flashback (CD) off EBay, and it had just ended up in my mailbox.. The cd looked in PERFECT condition som i put it in the Cd-Rom and found that the BLOODY game didn't run on my computer.. I figured it had something to do with the fact that my computer is pretty new, and running Windows XP:

P4 1.7Ghz
512MB ram
20GB HD
SoundBlaster live!
36x CD-Rom
etc. etc.

So i bought an old computer and rebuilt it a little:

Amd k6-266mhz
128MB ram
4GB HD
42x CD-Rom (Or something like that)
Soundblaster pro (newer)
and running Windows 98

I tried using Windows 95 but it didn't help. So i installed DosBox, but the installation program for Flashback didn't recognise my HD.. 😕
I read all the readme-files for DosBox, but i still couldn't make out what the problem was..This has really been a skullBreaker for me, since i REALLY love the game and would LOVE to be able to run it..

Does anybody have a SINGLE clue on how to make it work..If you need more info on my system or the error messeges please post..I need all the help i can get!!! 😢

Reply 2 of 9, by GregHowe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well..I'm sorry, but i didn't see my question as a DosBox question..I just wanted to inform that i've tried it and that it doesn't work..So if anybody had some other ideas..

As for the mount d <drivename> d:\ -t cdrom Thanks, but i've tried it A BILLION times... 😢
And everything i working fine..I'll type something like:
d:
Dir
install C Games Flashback (Ofcourse already having mounted the C:\)

A go.bat file is being copied to the directory, but it wont run...NOTHING happends..

And when i try the other aproach:

d:
dir
setup

The setup-program runs, but the only drive it can find is the z:\ created by DosBox..If i try to install the program crashes..

I've also tried using VDM-Sound, and with a little hocus-pocus a got the game installed and i actually got it running..Everything looked fine, the intro played (but a little jerky) but when the menu popped up the graphichs were nothing but a big mess (You know, like on the loadingscreen of the old Comodore64 games, yeah...Just like that) 😳
I tried to click my way through the menu blindfolded, and after a little while the first level started, looking just like the menu (I could hear the level1 music)

I tried a number of diferent settings..I think i must have checked-unchecked every little box i could find..Hmm...I'm really stuck..I even tried abandon-loader..Nothing.. 😢

Anyone..?Please help....

Reply 6 of 9, by GregHowe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well..The sound is better quality..The floppy music sounded like something written in Octamed (Don't get me wrong, i love the music) and the intro\cutscenes are in 3D now..There are also some minor changes in the games graphics and sound-effects (or, so i've heard).

Reply 7 of 9, by GregHowe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Err...The problem in dosbox is basicly this:

I will type something like:

mount c c:\ (The harddrive)
mount e e:\ -t cdrom (The cd-drive)

Than i run the setup..The setupscreen looks something like this:

Install Flashback cd to z:\ || (The virtual drive created by dosbox)
Configure sound in installdirectory || (Which does not exsist)
Exit setup || (Which at this point seems to be the only possible chois to make...)

The problem is that i can't install the game to the c:\ Drive i just mounted..Only to the virtual drive..Which, ofcourse, won't work...

The problem in VDM sound is:

When i run Setup, the program crashes.... 😢

PLEASE..SOMEONE HELP...

I'm taking a chanse here:

I realize that the cd-version of Flashback is very rear, so very few on this forum probably has it..Now, if this is VERY illegal, please let me know, but i would gladly supply a Cue - Bin or iso file so that someone who really knows what their doing might help me out..This would ofcourse be for the purpose of the technical support...

Please, don't get upset because i purposed this..If anyone thinks this would be a very bad idea, please don't start kicking me out of the forum..I just want some help... 😢

Reply 8 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GregHowe, if you want to do something like that, i advise you do it privately. Better that way.
One other thing. Did you try installing FB natively? that is, without VDMSOUND nor DOSBOX. Maybe you can change audio settings later.