VOGONS

First post, by Richo25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have seen that other people are getting Under a killing moon running with DosBox, however I'm getting a bit stuck.
I'm running it under linux and I can't seem to get the actual game to find the CDROM.
It installed OK and the CDROM transfer speed test worked fine buit when the game starts it just pops up a window saying "please insert Disk #1 into drive d"

I have tried mounting the CDROM in various ways, mounted and unmounted under linux
I used the commands
mount d /dev/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0
and also tried simply
mount d /mnt/cdrom
but niether seemed to work...
HELP I loved this game and can't be bothered installing dumb old DOS on another computer.

Cheers
Richard

Reply 1 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try the -label command with mount ?
I don't know the correct lable for under a killing moon...

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 19, by Richo25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep that did it Cheers 😀
I had to set up multiple though fake CD drives so that all of the 4 disks could be used
ie
mount d /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK1
mount e /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK2
mount f /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK3
mount g /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK4

Also you have to mount the cdrom normally before starting dosbox.
once the game is running you can then unmount and eject the disk in linux and remount the new one which will then be detected 😀
Cool I've been wanting to play this again for ages and now I can 😀
good to see that I can play my DOS games in linux better
pitty I can only go up to around 5200 CPU Cycles though... need more grunt 😀

Reply 3 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Glad it worked.
Try frameskipping.
Works great under linux.
(dosbox normally updates it screen at 70 hz. which is quite painfull under X 😀 (at least if you don't have optimized drivers)
Futher don't use 24 bbp. Dosbox will run much slower.
futher make sure you mtrr enabled in your kernel.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 19, by Richo25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Thanks I used a Frameskip of 1 and now I can turn the CPU cylces up to 6800 while still having a bit of room to spare.
Runs a lot smoother now.
Getting a few odd bugs though.
When I'm out in the main street area and I talk to the girl at the newstand and then finish the conversation, the game gets a bit corrupted and half of the walls and road etc are no longer there.
Also occasionally when saving config changes related to the detail while moving the game exits with an error. at least the auto save works 😀

Reply 5 of 19, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are running LINUX? Do you have Windows? I know the game was DOS based, but I can usually get UAKM to run under Win98 with no problem, and it runs real smooth. I am just curious why so many people are having problems with it.

Reply 7 of 19, by Silencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to play UAKM with DosBox 0.6 and it worked just great. The Movement Mode was a bit slow but it was playable.
Since Yesterday the game does not recognise any cd-change. I did not change the configuration of anything. Neither DosBox nor the game. I made it through Day 1 (with more then 1 cd change) and now i cant play any further.
I installed the Game and DosBox new a few times but it didnt help.

Any ideas?

Reply 8 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that's DOSBox. Genious programmers *poke poke* thought it would be a 'good' idea to cache the drive structure and it can only be fixed by running RESCAN which of course you can't do from inside a game.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 19, by Richo25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep I run it in Linux coz I can 😀
I do have windows but it would be win XP.. and I'm afraid that it doesn't run in that....
I could just install DOS on an old computer to play all of these things but if it can be run in a little old window on my desktop while I do other things then that is even better 😀

Richard

Reply 12 of 19, by ipkiss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have the same problem as Richo25 had, but the solution that worked for him isn't working for me...

Here is what i use:
mount D /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK1
mount E /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK2
mount F /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK3
mount G /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK4

The device is mounted in linux, and the installation of the game was fine, i could select my sound card for instance. I can also list the files on the CD with a simple 'dir'.
But when i try to start the game, i'm asked for the first CD (to be inserted in drive D)... and it keeps asking me forever!

In case it may help, i have tried the same game, with the same CDs and the same version of DosBox on my Win2K, and it worked...

Any idea?

Ipkiss

Reply 13 of 19, by bigheas537

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those interested in an XP solution...
I am going to assume that those who are familiar with these tools will also offer additional help.

1st - Find a good ISO creation tool, actually I use two.
ISOBuster is a great tool for creating an image of the entire cd
CDMage is great for converting an image into standard format
2nd - Find and download Daemon Tools.
3rd - Use D-Fend with DosBox
I am an old keypounder and have found that these tools allow enough configurability for my tastes.

One at a time, create an image of each CD on your hard drive in a test folder using ISOBuster

For each image created, open it up in CDMage and extract the track which will create a standard iso. (Note - Daemon Tools will mount the raw image file without making an iso if you choose to use the file created by ISOBuster) I extracted the topmost level to raw bin iso using ISOBuster. This created a bin file. This is what I mounted in CDMage to create the standard iso.

Repeat this for each cd. I named them uakm.disk1.iso and so forth until I had all 4 cd's imaged. Make sure you keep the extensions on the files you created depending on your choice. These I have stored as
c:\games\isos\texmurphy\uakm.disk1.iso
c:\games\isos\texmurphy\uakm.disk2.iso
c:\games\isos\texmurphy\uakm.disk3.iso
c:\games\isos\texmurphy\uakm.disk4.iso

After installing DOSBox, also install D-Fend. When run the 1st time, D-Fend will ask you for the location of the DOSBox executable. Make a note of where you installed DOSBox.

Here's the trick for the CD changes.

After installing Daemon Tools, you'll be prompted to restart. Do so. After restart, Daemon Tools will show up in your system tray and it will be red. Right click the Daemon Tools icon, click Emulation and set all options on. The icon will turn green. Then right click again and click Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, Set number of devices... and choose 4 drives. Now this might seem a little messy when you view your drives in My Computer, but it's worth it if you want a no hassle solution to multi cd games with DOSBox.

Mount each image file you've create with Daemon Tools -- One drive for each image mounted.

Start D-Fend. I don't use the wizard to create a profile, I use the profile editor (the button with the wrench). In the Profile Settings Tab, point the program to the install.exe on the 1st mounted Daemon Tools drive. In the Mounting Tab, Mount your C:\ drive. To keep things simple, I mount the entire drive. Also, mount each Daemon Tools drive and set them to D: E: F: G:

Label D: DISK1
Label E: DISK2
Label F: DISK3
Label G: DISK4

As an aside, I usually tell D-Fend to Generate Folder Name under the Capture Folder on the Profile Settings Tab. It's a little foggy here, but I think you can tell the program OK. I have gotten a message about not having either a game exe or install exe, but I forget the sequence. Once you've created the basic profile, right click on it and choose Run Setup.

The game should install and automatically run the configuration screens for audio. I chose to Auto-Detect. All went well. In the final config screen, remember to set each mounted cd drive to their respectively assigned letters, in this case D: E: F: G: Once the changes are saved, exit the game. Find TEX197.EXE in the root of your DISK1 and copy it to C:\moon. Then point the game exe to C:\moon\tex197.exe in the Profile Settings Tab.

In the General Tab, I checked
Close DOSBox after game exit
Start fullscreen
Use doublebuffering

I also had better results with ddraw instead of surface as the Render Method choice

In the Environment Tab I set
Amount of dos memory (MB) to 63
I unchecked Enable XMS and Enable EMS
CPU Cycles are set to 10000, CPU Core to dynamic and Frame Skip to 1

Run the game and enjoy.

Reply 15 of 19, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I only had a problem with loading the game since it crashed. I downloaded a patch but it still crashed. So I used dos32/a to replace dos4gw and now it runs perfectly in dynamic mode & no problems with disc swapping!

Reply 16 of 19, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To add a minor problem to this list, I am sure there is a solution but I can't seem to find it.

With the new Dosbox, and using dynamic core and auto cycles, the game rusn terrific, but for some reason, even though I have set everything to full screen the game still runs at 640 X 480 resolution on my 1280 X 960 computer. I even tried setting compatibility to run the game in 640 X 480 resolution but it gets set back to 1280 X 960. In other words, the game is always played in a small box in the middle of my computer screen. Editing configurations doesn't work and neither does setting Dosbox to fullscreen. The problem seems to be with resolution, so why can't I run the game in 640 X 480 resolution? It is a weird, and minor, problem but I would appreciate any help as I hate squinting just to play a game.

P.S. I have the same problem with Pandora Directive.

Reply 19 of 19, by Smurf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm a newbie for Dosbox 0.65 and tried this weekend several old Dos games with CD swapping under Alcohol 120%, worked fine. Mounted a virtual CD and by hotkey I can change from one CD to the other.

Then I came to UAKM (access), who worked fine for sebveral years under W98. Installing and starting no pb, but as soon as Murphy goes to find his first job.... "Out of Memory"

I changed everything, TEX3 by TEX197, XMS, EMS and UMB settings, memsize from 16 to 64, always the same message. Is there anywhere a genius who can point out my mistakes???

Thanks in advance.