Random Advice 486/p4

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

Update: Here is my new Acer. Intel 430HX chipset, 6 72pin simm slots, 4 pci and 3 ISA slots. Came with two 16mb chunks of ram for a grand total of 32mb, I stuck in two random chips and now it is at 40mb. Pentium 166, Labway ISA card with a Yamaha chip, 3com XL pci network card, and a s3trio64+ seeing as how I do not have a monitor currently that can go down to a low enough resolution for the s3 I swapped in a pci RAGE ll+ that was my only pci video card on hand. Added in the 100mb ZIP drive and SCSI card as well. Trying to find jumper settings, but the only diagram I could find is really sketchy on details. Mobo model is V35n-mb any help in hunting down a detailed diagram would be greatly appreciated!

Couldn't find it on th99

Aren't the jumpers silkscreened on the PCB?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 24, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

@ODwilly: Here's a link to jumper settings for your Acer board (I hope it isn't the same one you found):

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/acv35n.htm

I also found a copy of the manual (UK version, DOC format). See if it matches your Acer board:

Attachments

• Filename
    v35n-manual_uk.zip
    File size
    324.12 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File comment
    Acer V35N Manual (UK version)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 22 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tetrium: Thank you for looking! indeed they are, but there are some jumpers that have the settings silkscreened in strange locations. methodically hunting down each jumper and finding the settings has been interesting. JAY: Yep, that is the same one! it would be more helpful if the printer would work for once in it's life instead of printing out empty text boxes 😵 but nice job on the manual!!! That will come in handy 😀 thank you guys on the interest, give me your thoughts on software/hardware to use! Would it be worth while to keep ME, hack it with a service pack or something and max out the system to run it well?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 23 of 24, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ODwilly wrote:

give me your thoughts on software/hardware to use! Would it be worth while to keep ME, hack it with a service pack or something and max out the system to run it well?

Besides the manual and the original BIOS version for this board, I've found very little else. The manual does have a good amount of info, but still lacks some things like max hard drive size and support for AMD and Cyrix CPUs. I also haven't found any drivers for the board.

It would be a good idea to read the manual and try to max the system out as much as you can, tweak ME to make it more livable (it is a bit of a pig IMHO), and try to find out the exact model of your Acer (I believe it's and Acer Acros, but that's as far as I got) to get drivers and more info about it. Then start a new topic with what you have done so far and what you want to do in the future as well. I'm sorry I can't help much more, I have little familiarity and experience with brand-name PCs. Good luck.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 24 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once again, thank you guys! I will report back with a new topic once the Acer is closer to a gaming machine. Right now it has been interesting even finding time to work on it. Just got back from a Robotics competition and all of the systems that checked out A-ok last night are now failing and being buggy. Plus my immune system decided that it is a fine time to come down with the flu. When it rains it pours!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1