VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fans have created various unofficial patches over the years to keep old games working on modern systems. I'm wondering if anyone ever created a patch or found a definitive fix for Activision's 2001 Spider-Man game.

The game has a multitude of annoying bugs, but there's one that's literally a game-stopper;

During the level Catch Venon, there's a cutscene in the middle of the level. Venon and Spider-Man both enter an apartment building and after some humorous audio, they emerge from the other side to continue the chase. At least that's what's supposed to happen. Unfortunately on faster systems, Spider-Man almost always falls to his death. It's usually possible to get him to swing to a building after the cutscene, but it's the wrong one and you don't have time to get to where you need to be before Venon gets too far ahead and you have to restart the level.

Although I have no proof of this, it seems to me that rather than a pre-rendered cutscene, it's being created in real-time using the game engine. In other words, the computer is playing the game for you. Apparently the developers believed that the computer would leave Spider-Man in the exact position he needs to be in to continue the game, but faster systems mess up the timing.

Activision's recommended solution for this is to use a cheat code to skip that level!

Some people have been able to basically break the game in such a way that they can continue without losing, however it seems to be hit and miss.

Has anyone ever created an unofficial patch or figured out a guaranteed workaround for this problem?