VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some in-game footage. I don't know why they only recorded at 360p. Maybe because this is pre-release footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g89eEoJb60s
I think I'll buy it.

Reply 21 of 46, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the "Can I play daddy?" difficulty selection screen's face.

Other than that, the game plays more like one of the **shudder-shiver** CoD games. Downright to the glowing interactive objects.

And the video looks like a promo to sell the game, since the player tried his best to show the "dramatic" sequences which can be brought out - like the part where he tries going near the room after placing the explosive on the bombs - he could go away, but he went back to show that he can be blown away from the impact (from 8:25 onwards). Well, that YT channel seems to be from Bethesda themselves.

I guess I've played too many FPS games that I became saturated and couldn't enjoy new ones as much as I would like too. I've played the CoD series till Modern Warfare 2, which really made me felt enough is enough. I've lost the wow factor in appreciating these games.

Games like Just Cause 2 made me feel different about new action games, and I wouldn't mind playing that type.

And finally, it's from Bethesda, and the price is unlikely to go down for a number of years.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 22 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The games Bethesda publishes do get price cuts. Skyrim is just too popular and they have kept its price high. Makes sense to me! It has been on sale occasionally though.

Yeah it is definitely using the modern corridor shooter formula. I too noticed that whoever is playing knows exactly what he's doing and plays it up a bit. The 2009 Wolf tried to do somewhat of an open-world game by the way.

I have only played Call of Duty 1. 🤣. But I know what you mean by being a little burned out on corridor shooters as they are out there in droves.

Reply 23 of 46, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting to note too is that Skyrim was released on 11/11/11 and during the Steam Winter Sale it was discounted, so I purchased it then for my father.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 26 of 46, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is a cinematic shooter with QTEs and such, I think I'm going to pass. I just hate those, I'm not really having fun.

Kinda weird to think that not more than 11-12 years ago this was refreshing. I remember playing Call of Duty and thinking it was fantastic.

Reply 27 of 46, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay just seeing the whole "New weapon!" ,etc... yeah no, I'm not touching this.

I'll just stick with Coming of the Storm and other great Wolf3D TC's.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 28 of 46, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

i just want the 2009 version of Wolfenstein on steam maybe they will re sell it with this new version, then maybe i'd buy it.

Unless you can get it really, really cheap and/or have no attachment to the Wolf franchise, I'd avoid it. It was basically a disaster.

Reply 29 of 46, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While being a huge fan of the series, I'm not really looking forward to this one as far as a Wolfenstein game goes. I have always loved stories with altered time lines leads to extended WWII or some such, but the Wolfenstein story was pretty stable and I liked it that way. So yeah, I want a new Woflenstein game, but not where it messes with the main story line even though its something I might enjoy. Yeah, I will end up buying it and really hope its good, but I have a feeling it will end up diluting a franchise in the same vein that Duke Nukem Forever, and Shadow Warrior did. But Rise of the Triad pretty much did it right if you enjoyed the original. So I have some hope.

***EDIT***

Not to say that DNF or SW were bad games. They are both quite fun, but they alter so much from their origins that they can be considered needles reboots and I think most of us are sick of that concept in general.

Reply 30 of 46, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may remember playing the original Castle Wolfenstein on a Commodore 64 system over three decades ago. Boy, have times have changed. PC system requirements have gotten more stringent with each new Wolfenstein title, and if you want to experience Wolfenstein: The New Order at a solid 60 frames per second, you'll need to bring a Core i7 or equivalent AMD chip to the party.

You'll also need 4GB of system RAM, 50GB of hard drive space, an Nvidia GeForce 460 or AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6850 or higher graphics card, high speed internet connection, and a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.

http://www.maximumpc.com/core_i7_class_cpu_64 … stein_new_order

Reply 31 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just want to say that this game is a big success in my opinion. Very intense and clearly made by people who wanted it to be great.

It's pretty demanding but my Radeon 6950 2GB + i5 3570 has no problem with it on mostly high settings and 1920x1080. Looks amazing at times too.

Here's two shots from my adventure...
dc69d1330451862.jpg fbe630330451874.jpg

Reply 32 of 46, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to hear, I'll definitely get to it one day. That skyline shot is pretty amazing - I can't quite put my finger on it but are they using a different game engine to the original?

467403-wolfenstein-3d-pc-98-screenshot-a-typical-wolf-3d-large-hall.png

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 35 of 46, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like it , it's not that rail-roady ... sure it's not like the 90s 3DFPSes that you would get lost but it's not a corridor either

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 36 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the reasons games are so large these days? 50GB? That's insane...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 46, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up buying Wolfenstein: The New Order on a lark because I was a bit bummed out about crap going on in my life, and wanted a way to escape for a little bit. I rarely pay full price for a AAA game title, but in this case I'm glad I did. This is an excellent game. If it is possible for an FPS to be elevated to art, this pretty much nails it. Everything about this game is top notch: the voice acting, the music, the level design/art direction, the gameplay...you can be super stealthy or run around like Rambo, guns blazing or anything in between. I spent an hour sneaking around one level stabbing nazis in the brainstem. The option to try to complete a mission in the most stealthy manner possible adds a whole other dimension.

The actual storyline that is woven through the game has a lot of heart and you really feel for the characters.
There are a couple parts that are tough to watch because you've gotten attached to them.

The villains are not cardboard cutouts, you truly come to hate them and the way they are dispatched is highly satisfying given all the grief they give you.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with this, even paying full price, but if you have to wait to pick it up on sale, don't try and score the absolute cheapest deal possible. It is worth it. The only thing that could possibly make it better would be multiplayer. They might somehow figure out a way to make that DLC, if they do the game would be perfect. As it is it is a 9/10.

I'm going to have nightmares about Panzer Hunds for a while now.

Last edited by snorg on 2014-06-02, 16:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 46, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What is the reasons games are so large these days? 50GB? That's insane...

megatextures.

With that said even though the texture quality isn't consistent at least it's nowhere near as bad as the textures in Rage.

You can also tell the game needed some more development time since various things are unclear and there is some bugginess here and there.

The game never crash onced during my playthough which is suprising. (Can't say the same for Rage).

The Wolf3D easter egg is horrible. Play the original game the one in this game sucks.

Probably not the games fault but I couldn't enable vsync in the game itself but had to use the Nvidia Control Panel. The tearing in this game bothered me more than normal until I enabled it.

The game also skips periodically during the movies. Not sure what's that all about. The movies are encoded using bink.

No real issues with seeing textures load except for very rarely so it seems my computer is fast enough to keep up with it. 8GB system ram, 3GB video ram, i7 cpu, Nvidia Geforce 780, Hybrid HD for games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline