VOGONS

Not enough Disk Space for drivers

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
While that is a thing that can happen, I already tried all the tricks in the other thread I linked to. I very strongly believe […]
Show full quote
gbeirn wrote:

My money is on the installer programs not being written correctly. When the programmers wrote the install routine they chose an integer that wasn't large enough or the correct signedness (or both).

While that is a thing that can happen, I already tried all the tricks in the other thread I linked to. I very strongly believe that the installer is producing the wrong error message.

Running a genuine Live! card under W2K.

What model number are you using, specifically?

Well I can confirm that it is not a hard drive size issue. Even on a small partition I get the same errors. Formatted my system just to test it. It really is not W2K and above compatible.

I'm using the SB0060, Live! Platinum.

The problem lies in the setup.ins files, containing install settings. I was able to install the whole package with a setup.ins file from a package that does install. But almost no programs work. The ones that do work, like the launcher and the EAX demos refuse to launch when a newer Win2K driver is installed.

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 21 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then it would seem the Liveware 3.0 CD was never intended for the SB0060 (at least with Win2K), and tinkering with the setup.ins files would be a poor strategy.

This thread suggests the SB0220 CD.
Re: SB Live! Windows 98SE Sound level & distortion issues.
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … menustate=42,35

This thread suggests the default Win2k drivers should be adequate.
Re: best or latest SB Live! 5.1 driver for Win98SE

This thread suggests Creative's web drivers.
Re: Building yet another Windows 98 SE Box

Reply 22 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just want to have the full suite working; launcher, audiohq, etc.
The sb0220 is the 5.1 card I see. I have that CD and already tried it. The driver is incompatible as it makes W2K not boot. Furthermore it carries much more modern versions of the Creative software whiwh I don't want. Basically I want the original software to work.
I just formattee for the fourth time. I'm going to keep trying for now by mixing drivers and software packages

Reply 23 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote:

Basically I want the original software to work.
I just formattee for the fourth time. I'm going to keep trying for now by mixing drivers and software packages

I very much doubt Creative would have shipped this card in a form wherein getting "the original software to work" would require "mixing drivers and software packages". Just sayin'.

Reply 24 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know but there is no sign of any full Liveware package available for win2k similar to the one for 9x, or at least haven't found it yet.
In the end I could just install the latest web release for my card and it will prolly just work but for now I'll keep trying a couple more times.
I just think it's strange that for instance there is no Creative Launcher app to be found on Soundblaster.com, nor Eax demos or anything else, although the card was still very actual when win2k was released

Reply 25 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might add that one of the first Google hits for "sb0060 manual" (no quotes) is https://www.manualslib.com/manual/392280/Crea … aster-Live.html , which only refers to Win95, Win98, and NT 4.0. It is entirely possible that Creative expected people hoping to use Liveware in Win2K to buy a new sound card. But I could be wrong.

Reply 26 of 26, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know, I saw that too when looking for info this evening still. The machine finished its icantremember number of reinstall to give it another shot. I'll update when I had success (or not)