VOGONS

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Behold, the obscure product of a mid-1991 tryst between Creative Technology and Tandy Corporation:

sbptd_s.jpg

Mostly based on the Sound Blaster Pro chipset and design, the Creative-produced "Tandy Multimedia Audio Adapter" was factory-installed in a handful of MPC-variant Tandy systems, and could also be found as part of a multimedia upgrade package that included either an internal or external CD-ROM unit, and Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions.

Physical differences between this card and the regular Sound Blaster Pro offering include the use of two mini-DIN joystick ports (compatible with Tandy 1000 joysticks, but requiring the use of adapter cables), and a mini-DIN MIDI port, to which a Y-cable with full-sized MIDI input/output ports would be attached. These particular mini-DIN ports can also be found on Tandy's 1000 RLX-B system, as well as the original Sensation!, respectively.

The CD-ROM interface is of the Mitsumi variety, and (interesting for the time) provides for both 16-bit AND DMA-assisted transfers. As pertains to internal installations, the uniquely-designed (Mitsumi) CDR-1000 drive was intended to pair with this interface, and is indeed what is included in the upgrade kit that I purchased.

Concerning some of the other differences, and of particular interest, are the fact that:

• The card uses a bus-interface chip not found on any other Creative card (that I'm aware of) - the CT1346.
  • The output amplifier can be bypassed/disabled by jumper, resulting in a line-level output signal. This is a feature not common to Creative cards until the SB16.
  • And last, but certainly not least, a high-DMA channel is also allocated for audio, permitting native playback of 16-bit, 44.1kHz (mono) files in Windows. Presumably, this could be accomplished in DOS as well, assuming the programming routines can either be determined, or are found to be compatible with those documented for the SB16.
Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2015-03-26, 03:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What? No CMS upgrade sockets?! Pfffsst.. 🤣

What's the voltage regulator on there? a 7805? 7905? (I think you know where I'm going where I'm going with this... <cough>B5<cough>)

Reply 3 of 9, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Holy crap Cloudschatze, you're like an archeologist for vintage PC audio boards. Were you aware of this a long time ago or was this a recent discovery?

Reply 5 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Were you aware of this a long time ago or was this a recent discovery?

The funny thing is that I encountered information about the card on the Radio Shack support site several years ago, during my search for the joystick adapters (for use with a 1000 RLX-B system), but gave it little thought at the time, and had no idea that it was an OEM Creative product besides. It took seeing a "mystery" card pictured on Imgur several months ago, and then noticing the same card as part of a recent auction listing, for it to all come together. 😀

sliderider wrote:

So can you use this with any PC or just the Tandy?

Any PC-compatible with a 16-bit ISA slot. There's no Tandy requirement.

Reply 6 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think if it had CMS and SB16 compatibility it would almost be the ultimate soundcard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 9, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great find! This card is an essential component for running one of the few copies of Windows 3 MME in the wild -- see here for screenshots. Seems like every version of MME was OEM-specific. (The other version I have is for IBM PS/2 systems with Ultimedia adapters (M-ACPA.)

Your analysis of the oddball chips and ports explains why this Tandy/Creative version of Win3 MME does not do well under DosBox/VMWare emulation -- I had thought it was just a SB card in a Tandy, but clearly there are some custom elements.

Reply 8 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote on 2015-03-25, 17:10:

And last, but certainly not least, a high-DMA channel is also allocated for audio, permitting native playback of 16-bit, 44.1kHz (mono) files in Windows. Presumably, this could be accomplished in DOS as well, assuming the programming routines can either be determined, or are found to be compatible with those documented for the SB16.

Just to make sure I don't miss anything. This just means the card is able to receive 16-bit audio data, but it does not mean it has an 16-bit DAC? I failed to locate any 16-bit DAC on the photo. It's possibly, though, that there is logic that throws away the low 8 bits from 16-bit DMA transfers and puts the high 8 bits into the DMA data buffer of the bus interface chip. As you already observed, the bus interface chip on this card is unique, so it might contain the down-conversion feature.

Interestingly, the DSP is the same as on the standard SB Pro 2 (CT1341 V3.02), so the SB16 commands for 16-bit DMA transfers are definitely not implemented. There might be some undocumented command in the DSP that toggles a control pin switching the DMA mode of the bus interface chip, though. The CT1341 V3.02 has been dumped by now, see Re: The Soundblaster DSP project , so one might hunt that code for something that looks like commands to toggle a GPIO pins of yet unknown purpose. Also reverse engineering the Win 3.0 MME drivers can give a clue.

Reply 9 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank-you for the insights, mkarcher. I haven't done much of any disassembly of the relevant Win 3.0 drivers, but agree that there are likely answers to be gained there.

The "SB16" and "SBP16" (or, "Sound Blaster Pro 16") references found in the drivers and software are interesting, and suggest that the Multimedia Audio Adapter might be an early iteration of what would later evolve to become the Sound Blaster 16 architecture.