VOGONS

First post, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have a Pentium Pro system with a SCSI hard drive on an Adaptec 2940u2w. The system originally had an IDE optical drive, and I installed Windows 98 without any trouble from it as my BIOS supports boot from CD-ROM. Fast forward a while, I replaced the IDE optical with a SCSI optical, and it worked fine in the system.

Just today my SCSI hard drive died. So I replaced it with another SCSI hard drive, and I got my Windows 98 CD to start the install. That's when problems occurred. The SCSI BIOS on the Adaptec controller renames the optical drive the A: drive when it detects a bootable CD. And while the Windows 98 CD booted, it actually couldn't find itself once I was at the install screen. It kept telling me to insert the Windows 98 CD. I suspected this had something to do with my optical being renamed A: and Windows 98 being too stupid to look anywhere other than D:

So I try something else...

I turn off the bootable CD feature in the SCSI BIOS (to prevent it from being named A:), and then I change the bootable device ID in the SCSI BIOS from 0 (my hard drive) to 2 (my optical). Well, turns out the controller doesn't really care that it's set to 2 instead of 0--it still only tries to boot off the hard drive.

I go back to my motherboard BIOS and make sure CD-ROM is set first in the boot order. But that doesn't help because the motherboard BIOS is too stupid to look for a CD-ROM on anything other than its own IDE controller.

So it seems I'm stuck. Other than buying another IDE optical drive, is there any way I can get this to work?

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boot the CD to "DOS with CDROM support" instead of Windows Setup and xcopy the Win98 directory on the CD to the HDD. Then run setup.exe from that HDD directory.

Reply 2 of 2, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Boot the CD to "DOS with CDROM support" instead of Windows Setup and xcopy the Win98 directory on the CD to the HDD. Then run setup.exe from that HDD directory.

That worked! Although I didn't have to copy anything. I booted to DOS with CDROM support and it set the CD-ROM to D:. Then I formatted the hard drive and I ran setup from the CD ROM and it worked.

Thanks much!