VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium Pros are sexy, indeed.
It's funny how the cost of these things has changed. Several years ago, I needed a replacement Proliant 800 (dual PPro 440FX) motherboard so I got one on eBay for some small amount of money. The guy was moving and wanted to get rid of stuff, so he also tossed in a pair of VRMs and a pair of 200MHz 512KB CPUs for free. Today that would never happen - Pentium Pro parts have gotten expensive. I wish I had bought a more "normal" socket-8 motherboard back then.
Those 1MB chips are awesome, but kind of scary at the same time. I like that Tyan board.

Reply 22 of 25, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual PPro?

I guess not even 240p...

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 24 of 25, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will test out XP on mine when I finish my P4 and Athlon XP boxes. Currently have Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 on it and the CPU's max out but it does load and run 🤣.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 25 of 25, by Soup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jp7152 wrote on 2015-06-29, 02:41:

Tyan had a bios update program you could download from their website. Unfortunately it didn't work however I managed to get hold of a suitable version of the award flash program which I ran from a floppy disk.

It didn't give any indication as to if the flash was successful or not but I left the computer on for quite a while to be safe then power cycled... Luckily the bios updated successfully.

This allowed support for the 1MB 200mhz chips and also added Ultra DMA hard disk support. I am a little confused about this as I didn't think this chipset supports UltraDMA?

Sorry to necrobump a thread this old, but I don't suppose you still have that BIOS file, or remember what version it was? I have an S1662 running BIOS version 4.51PG that refuses to save some BIOS settings and I haven't been able to find any other versions so far.