Antec PSU. Good or bad?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I have two boards with KT600, and unfortunately neither of them have the 12V additional power connector 🙁 I wasn't aware of the issue, but with a XP 3200+ it's quite noticeable, that CPU draws almost 80W I believe.

Sounds like they went exceptionally cheap with those boards. Maybe the voltage regs are iffy to begin with. Time to go shopping for a new old motherboard. 😀

That's easier said than done. I had to wait almost 4 months before I finally found NOS Soyo SY-KT600 boards, which come with horrible Evercon capacitors. You very seldom find high-end nForce 2 Ultra 400 boards on eBay and the ones you do find have been overclocked to hell and suffer from capacitor plague. The only reason to buy a Socket A board is if you want to build a high-end VIA KT133/KT133A system. You're better off building a Socket 754 / Socket 939 system for that era. Something as cheap as a Sempron 3400+ performs on par with a XP 3200+ and you can use modern power supplies and heatsinks on them as well. A lot less hassle.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 21 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Evert wrote:

That's easier said than done. I had to wait almost 4 months before I finally found NOS Soyo SY-KT600 boards, which come with horrible Evercon capacitors. You very seldom find high-end nForce 2 Ultra 400 boards on eBay and the ones you do find have been overclocked to hell and suffer from capacitor plague. The only reason to buy a Socket A board is if you want to build a high-end VIA KT133/KT133A system. You're better off building a Socket 754 / Socket 939 system for that era. Something as cheap as a Sempron 3400+ performs on par with a XP 3200+ and you can use modern power supplies and heatsinks on them as well. A lot less hassle.

Yep. Though KT333 is nice too because it's a lot faster than KT133A and can still run 3.3v AGP cards.

But you aren't going to convince people to leave Socket A behind if they still have the nostalgia. Trust me on this. We have threads once per week for years. 😀 Phil seems to want to document absolutely everything so there's that aspect as well.

Reply 22 of 27, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Evert wrote:

Yep. Though KT333 is nice too because it's a lot faster than KT133A and can still run 3.3v AGP cards.

But you aren't going to convince people to leave Socket A behind if they still have the nostalgia. Trust me on this. We have threads once per week for years. 😀 Phil seems to want to document absolutely everything so there's that aspect as well.

No need to preach to the choir. I have my fair share of Socket A PCs myself and I love the platform despite its quirks. After building a couple of later Socket A platforms (KT600/nForce 2 era) I've just come to the conclusion that Socket 754 is a much better choice for this period. But you are right, KT333 is definitely a sweet spot of sorts. You really have to put a lot of thought into these builds too, especially when it comes to finding a power supply. I've pretty much given up, since it will cost a fortune to import Enermax and FSP units from eBay to South Africa. The only "cost" effective solution for me is to just buy the ATNG-built StarTech units. From what I can gather, they're not a bad OEM, but they make questionable choices when it comes to some parts and there's a concerning number of comments on Amazon and Newegg about StarTech units blowing up or dying after 3-5 years. But I'm pretty sure they just use CapXon capacitors or something even more horrible so that the PSUs die on purpose.

Edit: To get back on topic, I can highly recommend Antec's power supplies, provided that you buy the variety built by SeaSonic and Delta. The Delta ones have some of the most beautiful soldering you will ever see. They take a lot of pride in their workmanship. Unfortunately, there are a lot of CWT-built units doing the rounds and Antec's insistance on making you buy a new power supply every 3-5 years has led to them making some questionable choices for capacitors. I have an Antec HE-550 which still works (bought it in 2006) and it's still extremely quiet. I am a bit concern about the secondary capacitors though and I need to make new modular cables for it, since they were thrown away when I gave my Opteron 165 computer to my grandparents.

Last edited by Evert on 2015-07-28, 07:54. Edited 1 time in total.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 23 of 27, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have used a used 450watt Athlon 64/ p4 designed Startech psu in a Athlon ii Hd7750 system with no problems in the past year! The PSU was a salvage and the machine was a uber budget rig. Still light games and office works to this day!!! It depends on the psu in my opinion. And even then crap sure can shine when you least expect it 🤣

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 24 of 27, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

I have used a used 450watt Athlon 64/ p4 designed Startech psu in a Athlon ii Hd7750 system with no problems in the past year! The PSU was a salvage and the machine was a uber budget rig. Still light games and office works to this day!!! It depends on the psu in my opinion. And even then crap sure can shine when you least expect it 🤣

StarTechs are re-badged ATNG power supplies. They're a very underrated OEM in my opinion. Their power supplies are often very quiet, efficient and well regulated. The Rosewill RV-350 series also used to be based on an ATNG design. Despite having the fan at the back of the PSU and have very cheap feeling power connectors, that's a decent PSU.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 25 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PSUs that I'm using lately are a 2008 420W PCP&C PPCS420X (Seasonic) with 5v/20A and a somewhat controversial 2006 OCZ OCZGXS600 (FSP) with 5v/30A. The smaller unit has never caused me problems on any 5v Athlon build. Even Slot A 1000 and KT333/Palomino2000+ with 6800 Ultra.

I do have a smaller 300W Seasonic SS-300ES, again with 5v/20A. This was running a Athlon64 X2 for a few years. The internals appear similar to the PCP&C 420. I should experiment with it sometime 😎

Reply 26 of 27, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snayperskaya wrote:

Yes, they run on lower voltage, but isn't the 12V scaled down to feed the CPU?

I've always wondered why is that modern PCs had to transform the voltage twice (one on the PSU, one on the mobo).

Theoretically, yes - practically, the 4 pin 12v connector seems to feed everything but the CPU... Here's how I reached this conclusion:

Tested my Abit A7N-S (nforce 2) board and an Asus A7V880 (KT880) both with a XP 2600+ that does FSB 200 stable - measuring power on both the 5V and 12V lines, I noticed the phenomenon listed above - 5V dropped to 4.8-4.9 and 12v rose to 12.9-13v during intensive CPU tasks - this on a 650W Mushkin 650XP and an 850W Antec Truepower Quaddro.

On the other hand, I noticed my Leadtek GF 4 Ti overclocks a lot better on boards with the 12V auxiliary connector then it does on boards witch lack said connector. I don't own any boards without a 4 pin 12v connector that can support a Barton CPU, but my test XP 1900+ oveclocks a little better on the aforementioned Asus and Abit boards then it does on my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333) board witch lacks 12v cpu power.

Reply 27 of 27, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Theoretically, yes - practically, the 4 pin 12v connector seems to feed everything but the CPU... Here's how I reached this conc […]
Show full quote
Snayperskaya wrote:

Yes, they run on lower voltage, but isn't the 12V scaled down to feed the CPU?

I've always wondered why is that modern PCs had to transform the voltage twice (one on the PSU, one on the mobo).

Theoretically, yes - practically, the 4 pin 12v connector seems to feed everything but the CPU... Here's how I reached this conclusion:

Tested my Abit A7N-S (nforce 2) board and an Asus A7V880 (KT880) both with a XP 2600+ that does FSB 200 stable - measuring power on both the 5V and 12V lines, I noticed the phenomenon listed above - 5V dropped to 4.8-4.9 and 12v rose to 12.9-13v during intensive CPU tasks - this on a 650W Mushkin 650XP and an 850W Antec Truepower Quaddro.

On the other hand, I noticed my Leadtek GF 4 Ti overclocks a lot better on boards with the 12V auxiliary connector then it does on boards witch lack said connector. I don't own any boards without a 4 pin 12v connector that can support a Barton CPU, but my test XP 1900+ oveclocks a little better on the aforementioned Asus and Abit boards then it does on my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333) board witch lacks 12v cpu power.

Nice findings. I think that it's up to how the manufacturer's set the electric layout on the VRMs then.