VOGONS

Reply 60 of 65, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went with dual 1N5408 now, which output 4.2V in idle and fit nicely after removing the heatsink and reattaching it with superglue.
Runs absolutely stable with 24.1fps in Quake_low making it the fastest sub-Socket4 machine of the German DOS community 😀 There's still some room for improvement, as the POD only runs in WT mode on my current board.
Diodes get quite warm, but nothing overly worrying.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 61 of 65, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad to hear it is working out for you. I've done this mode with the double diodes without removing the heatsink, but requires more delicacy.

Very few motherboards work properly with the POD in WB mode, but they do exist however rare.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 62 of 65, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My POD has been running absolutely rock solid at 100Mhz, thanks to the info in this thread.

Has anyone had any luck with posting at a bus speed setting of 50Mhz?

Would there be a way to get something in between 40-50Mhz , to try and push the speed just a bit higher?

Reply 63 of 65, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-01-30, 18:44:

Would there be a way to get something in between 40-50Mhz , to try and push the speed just a bit higher?

Yes, a few have modded the pcchips m571 for 100mhz FSB by tweaking the source on the clock generator

Same could be done to the pll on a 486 or if you have an older board just replace the clock crystal

Reply 64 of 65, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I've seen a few people POST their POD's at 125 MHz (2.5x50), however I don't think any were long-term stable.

Replacing the clock crystal doesn't always work as it messes up the timing of other systems, most notable will be the the floppy controller not working properly.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486