Topic actions

Reply 80 of 101, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
rgart wrote:

sliderider: I thought the music is much better in Fallout 4 than the last Fallout, are you sure its recycled? Fallout 3 was so bleak and depressing...music included...but Fallout 4 has very upbeat ambient music especially cruising around town... its very nice and hopeful 😀

shamino: Traders don't auto swap out their preferred armor and equip armor with better values however I'm not sure what they do when they have no items and you sell them a single piece of armor. All NPC's will auto equip whatever they have in their inventory as far as weapons go when entering combat.

They really dropped the ball on supply routes / trade routes. The only way to cancel a trade route you setup is to actually search and find the provinsor at there start or finish point and re-assign them. If you find them in route you have to walk all the way back with them. (that can take an hour at their slow pace) I ended up having to execute my settler and her Brahmin because it just took too long.

Were you even listening to the songs on the radio? They are exactly the same songs that were played on Galaxy News Radio in Fallout 3.

I'm talking about the composed ambient music... towns... wasteland etc. I only listened to the radio stations when the game forced me.... hearing Uraaaaaanium People every 5 minutes did my head in.

luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/kKeAGKP.png […]
Show full quote

kKeAGKP.png

So true. I never thought I would be grinding and searching for coffee cups, screws, gears and oil 😀

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 81 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/kKeAGKP.png […]
Show full quote

kKeAGKP.png

So true. I never thought I would be grinding and searching for coffee cups, screws, gears and oil 😀

It's better than having a world full of useless junk that's only good for selling for a few caps to a merchant. Sometimes it's not even worth carrying a load of junk back from the wasteland to the nearest merchant in F3. At least you can break everything down into raw materials in F4 and make things with it. I haven't sold a single thing to a merchant yet. It all comes back to my workbench for recycling. Junk is worth more than money in this game.

Reply 82 of 101, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

It's better than having a world full of useless junk that's only good for selling for a few caps to a merchant. Sometimes it's not even worth carrying a load of junk back from the wasteland to the nearest merchant in F3. At least you can break everything down into raw materials in F4 and make things with it. I haven't sold a single thing to a merchant yet. It all comes back to my workbench for recycling. Junk is worth more than money in this game.

For sure. A really good design mechanism!

Last edited by rgart on 2015-11-16, 11:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 83 of 101, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think this may eliminate ruining the look of each site for those of us scavenging every single item possible:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/68/?

Last night I finished a vault mission. After everyone liked me helping them out I then took everything that wasn't owned. More junk than anywhere else I'd seen so far.

I always play the first game vanilla tho. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 84 of 101, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you guys think of the dog? I quite like the company I must admit and his AI isn't too stupid, but they've obviously had to make lots of concessions to make it work. I.e he can get his ass handed to him and survive, he doesn't seem to trip booby-traps, etc.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 85 of 101, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I enjoy exploring and tinkering aspects of this game, muchos fun. Roleplaying... not so much, it feels a bit too dumbed down (just like in Skyrim). And I really abhor the pad-oriented UI. Mouse + keyboard 4ever!

Reply 86 of 101, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Experienced Points: The Fallout 4 Intro Is A Mess
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=29404

So yeah the intro does feel like something thrown together to get the shallow people interested.

Fallout 4 Notebook Benchmarks
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Fallout-4-Notebo … s.153924.0.html

Reply 87 of 101, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've started to notice the quest dispensers. The two Brotherhood people and the poorly-voiced guy up in the original town. The clown who couldn't handle being general so he makes the player general and sends him out to do his bidding. 🤣 Super brilliant, enthralling stuff. I will walk the lands....err I mean beam-in and solve everyone's camp infestation problems!

The best part so far is just wandering. The usual thing with Bethesda games.

Reply 88 of 101, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

What do you guys think of the dog? I quite like the company I must admit and his AI isn't too stupid, but they've obviously had to make lots of concessions to make it work. I.e he can get his ass handed to him and survive, he doesn't seem to trip booby-traps, etc.

I thought the dog was cool ... textures were well done and I was fairly impressed with his AI but I dropped him to party with a super mutant named Strong as he can carry heaps and that's what I really need 😀

Ariakos wrote:

I enjoy exploring and tinkering aspects of this game, muchos fun. Roleplaying... not so much, it feels a bit too dumbed down (just like in Skyrim). And I really abhor the pad-oriented UI. Mouse + keyboard 4ever!

Ah you mouse and keyboard devotees, I use an XBOX controller on my PC so I can sit back and chill - but only for games that are pad-orientated and haven't been ported too well in that respect 😀

Reply 89 of 101, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time to break my no mods on first playthrough rule:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

Reply 90 of 101, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Time to break my no mods on first playthrough rule:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

Yeah I saw that mod posted on Reddit today. Why it wasn't like that from the start is beyond me... 😵

Reply 91 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

The dog is good against molerats and stuff like that, but I prefer Codsworth for his flamethrower and saw blade. He makes mincemeat out of just about any human sized enemy. I just found a mercenary that can be hired so I'm traveling with him now. I haven't completed a mission with him yet, so I don't know how he's going to work out. I've also found a few repair stations for my power armor. You'll be tearing your hair out until you discover a few more because your armor will always need repairs but you can't without a repair station and it's useless when all the pieces have 0 hit points. There are other suits of armor scattered around, so you can salvage pieces from them to carry as spares if you really have to but they aren't light to carry.

Reply 92 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:
Experienced Points: The Fallout 4 Intro Is A Mess http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=29404 […]
Show full quote

Experienced Points: The Fallout 4 Intro Is A Mess
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=29404

So yeah the intro does feel like something thrown together to get the shallow people interested.

Fallout 4 Notebook Benchmarks
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Fallout-4-Notebo … s.153924.0.html

The first thought that came to my mind after seeing him get out of the crypod and swear to find his son was, how does he know when his son was taken? His son may have been taken shortly after he was frozen, in which case it's unlikely he would still be alive over 200 years later. He has no real way of knowing for sure his son hasn't been dead and buried a long time already. There's little possibility of him even being a 200+ year old ghoul since he would have been protected from the radiation in the vault. I would need to know for sure that there was a real chance that he was still alive before setting off on such a dangerous quest. I'd probably just round up some people and form a community to be safe from raiders and write the kid off as dead.

Reply 94 of 101, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing that's disappointing me so far is areas that seem like they could
be really cool additions are stupidly broken, like The Combat Zone.
I walk in thinking I will get a chance to have a cage fight or place some bets, sort
of like Fallout 2 where you can hop in the boxing ring...instead, everyone
immediately goes aggro and I have to slay the entire area. I reloaded just
to make sure I didn't do something dumb...nope, it's just designed that way.
I don't want to drop additional spoilers (that one is pretty early on if you're
following the main quest) but there are other spots where they could
have showcased a cleverly thought out area and had some mini games,
but no, you set one foot in and you have to kill everyone (raiders) in the
place.

And is it just me or does it seem a little odd that every raider hideout
looks like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre with cut up bodies on hooks everywhere?
Seems to me like 1 or 2 groups that were cannibals would be enough,
but to have everyone be like that in a world where there is clearly trade
and agriculture, even though rudimentary?

I'm still enjoying the game, but the RPG elements are thin on the ground.
I'm looking forward to the mod community maybe fixing some of this after the
fact. I also think it would be interesting to see a mod with a level 30 cap,
since with the no level cap clearly everyone ends up eventually being a wasteland god.

Reply 95 of 101, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am on the brink of finishing it. To me F4 is a mediocre, shallow game with little traces of RPG. And the UI/inventory management is the worst thing to happen on pc ever. I am steering clear of Bethesda from now on.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 96 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I am on the brink of finishing it. To me F4 is a mediocre, shallow game with little traces of RPG. And the UI/inventory management is the worst thing to happen on pc ever. I am steering clear of Bethesda from now on.

Which ending are you finishing? There are multiple possibilities. I played through the Institute ending and am trying to follow through the Minutemen storyline now. I'll go back and do Brotherhood of Steel later and I'm not sure if the Railroad gets it's own ending or not. There may even be other factions in the game that I haven't discovered yet. I'm still discovering new locations on the map that I missed the first time through, so there may be more.

Reply 97 of 101, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what sucks is no 4:3 Support or 5:4..
They simply had to include a Blackbar Mode for old TFTs.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 98 of 101, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

what sucks is no 4:3 Support or 5:4..
They simply had to include a Blackbar Mode for old TFTs.

Hmn... why? I don't know the exact settings on AMD cards but at least every GeForce since... a long time... can do all the scaling for you. Go to the nVidea Control Panel, set it to use GPU scaling (instead of letting the monitor do the job), and set it to keep aspect ratio. Then you select a 16x9 resolution with the same horizontal pixel count and it should add the black bars for you.

Reply 99 of 101, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, so if I understand correctly, the game is rigged to 16:9 and any other proportioned monitor has to play letterboxed? I use 5:4 so that would really annoy me.
Skyrim only has one minor problem with 5:4 - the 'tilde' console positions the text improperly so I can't see what I'm typing. But everything else works fine, using the full screen. I don't remember if Fallout 3 had that problem or not.

I wonder if they fixed the issue from previous games where they'd sometimes have bugs (I think with physics) if played faster than 60fps (neglecting the existence of faster monitors). I guess that was symptomatic of games being designed for consoles, not PCs.
It's all academic though, because realistically I won't be in a position to play this game for a very long time. I just bought New Vegas though so maybe I'll have some fun with that whenever I actually start it.