VOGONS

Common searches

Wings Of Destiny (Psygnosis)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So.. Like, putting aside I have spent far too much time trying to find what the actual developer ever did (and I could not even find a website eventually)
Their slightly older game should be playable with dgVoodoo, at least in W7.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 21 of 25, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good News!
i raised this also over at the Dxwnd forum as Gho there is extraordinary with his willingness to delve into such games and find if Dxwnd can make them playable - and although the setup menu issue is till present, the game now can run and be played and i am happy about this

follow this thread - there is a dxwnd.dll in a rar file that gho made that has the fix that gets the game past the start animations , you just have to put it in the dxwnd main folder and run the game exe throuh dxwnd. i had to put the game in win98 compat mode and admin to make it work also btw

Reply 22 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-06-04, 11:03:
hi! - i just saw this thread, having asked about the game myself just now - silly me i thought it such an obscure game that noon […]
Show full quote

hi! - i just saw this thread, having asked about the game myself just now - silly me i thought it such an obscure game that noone else would ever be trying to get it working.

I also cant run it on windows 10 - i get the animation format error at the start and that is a fatal exception error. I wish i could just get past that and at least be where you are at with it Tincup.

I am also trying it in an XP vmware now too just to see if i can get any better result, and no the game is just a black screen not responding sadly.

i wish i could at least get a lastsavedstate file to alter and maybe that might get me in to the game yes? would you happen to have one? could that work for windows xp or win10?

Any progress to report? I'm back at it on a P3-500/W95/Rendition/Voodoo2 build. I can start the game and navigate menus but clicking on PC setup still ends in a CTD. Missions load but frames rates are so low that it tkes 20s just to move mouse an inch. Fiddling with LastSavedState again and would love to know the syntax for editing the GPU to Glide mode.

Reply 24 of 25, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ctd means crash to desktop

regarding the progress - yes you have to look at the thread at dxwnd, there is a fix in there that stops the game crashing when you go to the settings.

regarding frame rate, i never had this issue myself but others maybe, however for my own situtation i have put Narzoul's ddraw.dll in the game folder and also dgvoodoo

i added my WoD profile from dxwnd - make sure to have the latest dxwnd version
also my dgvoodoo.conf to put in the game folder where you put dgvoodoo if you choose to try it
and get narzouls ddraw.dll - https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

again - i recommend reading through the thread at dxwnd discussion

i am sure you will be able top get it working right - but be aware that even after that the game may still crash occasionally - for me, i get a crash here and there sometimes when starting a new mission, but that doesnt bother me as its easy to get back into the game

(apologies, i was not sure what file license setting to use)

Attachments

• Filename
    wod.rar
    File size
    826 Bytes
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    15.18 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I found the hacked wod.exe on that site yesterday after checking this thread and the recent WOD chatter over at dxwnd. And and by jove it works! I'm using it on a W95osr2 build even - not emulation -and it solves the setting menu issue. Can finally set the cards, resolution and play with graphic settings. Nice! I found that disabling "Perspective" allows 3dfx mode to actually run properly.

What completely mystfies me is that I bought the game when in came out ~2000 and ran it fine on w9x/Voodoo. But no effort since has gotten it to run. Not on any retro rig W95-98/XP, hours spent fresh installs, drivers, motherboard/card/audi combos etc etc.

So cool Gho figured out how to access the setting menus! Now I just need to retrieve my 15-pin controllers and pick up the Allied campain where I left off all these years ago.