VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by shodan

User metadata

Cheers,

I'm trying to get system shock cd-edition to run on dosbox 0.61 on Win XP Home. Running it with the command: dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe.

It complains about not being able to find the palette due to a resource error (specific error code 2004). The game states that I should set FILES=30 in config.sys.

What is the equivalent action to be taken in DosBox?
Putting the line SET FILES=30 in the [autoexec]-section of the configuration file does not do the trick (same complaint appears, and the SET command without any parameters verifies that the value is indeed 30).

The documentation is silent about the use of variables (or I'm looking in the wrong places). Anyhow, I seem to be missing something here and would really appreciate an outright solution or pointers to a correct direction.

Reply 1 of 3, by shodan

User metadata

Found the problem 🙁
Embarrassingly enough I didn't mount the CD-ROM. Easily rectified with an additional command in the autoexec sequence.

Now the game works, and with enough CPU cycles given to it, seems to be quite responsive. Both music and digital effects work, though the latter seem choppy, hopefully there's subtitles for them in the game.

Anyway, this looks *extremely* promising - great work guys.
I'll treat to a beer or five if we ever meet.

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Would be nice 😉
Where do you live ?;)

Quite nice those error replies from games.
files=30 while it can't find it's cdrom......

Pfffffff

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!