Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-9-07 @ 07:11

K.A.R.R. wrote:hello

i have a small problem with falcosoft midi player 5.3 and roland sound canvas va 1.13

Actually you have a problem with your file :). This problem is neither SC-VA nor MidiPlayer specific. If you try other players (WMP/Van Baco/GNMidi etc. + SAVIHost) with SC-VA or even with S-YXG50 you will hear that all play piano on all channels (except channel 10 drums). It's because this file is simply badly programmed. It contains/sends an SC-88 mode change SysEx message after all Program Change and Bank Select Controller messages are already sent. SC-88 mode change SysEx message works as a reset message for synths that support SC-88 specific messages (e.g. SC-VA and S-YXG50) so all previously sent channel messages are lost. SC-VA is known to have problems with displaying the real instrument state so its 'instruments on channels' display can be misleading. MidiPlayer shows right that the instruments are set to program 0 on all channels by the SysEx. I have fixed the file for you, also here's a picture about the original problematic SysEx:
wrongsyx1.jpg

Mark Oh - Your love (ge)_fixed.zip
(10.66 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

hope this can be fixed, or is there a way to send a gs reset before playback starts ?

If you have GS selected in the right click context menu of the Reset button then GS reset is always sent before playback starts. But it cannot help here since the problem is the misplaced SysEx that is sent after playback starts.
but cakewalk music creator 7 plays the midi file with correct instruments

Cakewalk usually simply drops/ignores SysEx messages at midi import and you have to set special SysEx Banks to send them (so it's comparable to MidiPlayer with 'Enable SysEx in Files' set to disabled). Moreover AFAIK Cakewalk cannot send SysEx to VST instruments at all, only to external synths.
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby K.A.R.R. » 2018-9-07 @ 18:34

thx for the fixed midi file :happy:

yep cakewalk works not very good with scva
many gs files will play like gm files with wrong instruments.

cubase should work better with scva
but to play midi files your player is perfect :cool:

i have another small question about the karaoke text :cool:

fs displays the karaoke text
1:1 when its played.
when you want to sing :blush: or just look at the text
it would be a bit more comfortable to follow the text if
the next text line would be shown before its played like with vanbasco.

thx and greets
K.A.R.R.

Postby Deep Thought » 2018-9-08 @ 12:03

Would it be possible for MidiPlayer to remember the volume level?
With SCVA anything higher than 50-60% volume will saturate/clip in a MIDI track that plays lots of channels loud at the same time (e.g. Game 2.mid from Descent 2).
After setting MidiPlayer to use SysEx for volume/balance it controls SCVA's volume correctly, but the volume is reset to 100% any time I quit and relaunch the program.
It would make things much easier if all I had to do was launch MidiPlayer before loading a game, and not have to do anything else.
Deep Thought

Postby DevanWolf » 2018-9-08 @ 19:30

There is a bug where the "Default Bank" setting resets to 1 even when it's 0 when you reopen the program. Please fix.
DevanWolf

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-9-08 @ 20:54

@K.A.R.R.:
To be honest Midi Text/Lyrics is rather for information in technical terms than for serious karaoke usage. Displaying meta text/lyrics in real time is more informative for me and I never wanted to sing along :)

@Deep Thought:
MidiPlayer always remembered the player's own volume, but SysEx volume is a more tricky one since it's not the player's own volume but the the volume of the external synth/plugin. When the player starts e.g. SC-VA is not ready for several seconds so simply loading the saved volume and sending it to SC-VA at startup cannot work since the plugin is not even loaded yet.
But here is a version that sends the saved volume together with the first reset message that is sent to synth (this always happens at first load). But be aware that the player's volume level and SC-VA's volume level can go out of sync when the plugin is reloaded until a reset is sent or a new song is loaded (that sends a GS reset by default).
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

Anyway I could not reproduce your problem with Game 2.mid from Descent 2. SC-VA's volume even at 100% is so low compared to other synths that it never clips with any songs I have tried so far (BTW Midiplayer's volume meter shows when the signal is clipping but it never does in case of SC-VA).

And be aware that setting the volume of SC-VA with SysEx messages is not without risk.
SC-VA has a bug/problem: channels that use insertion effects do not change their volume proportionally with other channels and this results in an unbalanced sound. Here's an example that shows this problem when you change the synth's internal volume either with SysEx messages or with the plugin's own volume control:
http://falcosoft.hu/grabbag_sc88pro_falcomod.zip

So I think in case of SC-VA it is best to set the volume of the final mix ('Use SysEx volume' is not checked in Device Settings dialog).

@DevanWolf:
OK, It's fixed now. Download location is above.
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby Deep Thought » 2018-9-09 @ 08:41

Falcosoft wrote:@Deep Thought:
MidiPlayer always remembered the player's own volume, but SysEx volume is a more tricky one since it's not the player's own volume but the the volume of the external synth/plugin. When the player starts e.g. SC-VA is not ready for several seconds so simply loading the saved volume and sending it to SC-VA at startup cannot work since the plugin is not even loaded yet.
But here is a version that sends the saved volume together with the first reset message that is sent to synth (this always happens at first load). But be aware that the player's volume level and SC-VA's volume level can go out of sync when the plugin is reloaded until a reset is sent or a new song is loaded (that sends a GS reset by default).
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

That does seem to work, thank you.

Falcosoft wrote:Anyway I could not reproduce your problem with Game 2.mid from Descent 2. SC-VA's volume even at 100% is so low compared to other synths that it never clips with any songs I have tried so far (BTW Midiplayer's volume meter shows when the signal is clipping but it never does in case of SC-VA).

Using the Voxengo SPAN VST to monitor playback, it reported 600+ instances of clipping across both channels with that track at 100% volume.
At 80% volume this drops to only clipping twice. So it doesn't actually have to be reduced as far as I thought (I think I had my VST priority wrong before, as it's reversed from what I expected) though it's possible that other tracks may play more channels simultaneously at high volumes than that track. It's just one that I know can cause or come close to clipping.

I'm not certain, but it's possible that SPAN is checking for inter-sample clipping rather than sample clipping, if it's reporting clipping while MidiPlayer is not.
If that's the case, reducing the output volume level by 3-6 dB should prevent it rather than having to adjust SC-VA's volume level.

Falcosoft wrote:And be aware that setting the volume of SC-VA with SysEx messages is not without risk.
SC-VA has a bug/problem: channels that use insertion effects do not change their volume proportionally with other channels and this results in an unbalanced sound. Here's an example that shows this problem when you change the synth's internal volume either with SysEx messages or with the plugin's own volume control:
http://falcosoft.hu/grabbag_sc88pro_falcomod.zip

So I think in case of SC-VA it is best to set the volume of the final mix ('Use SysEx volume' is not checked in Device Settings dialog).

I was not aware of that problem, and it seems that volume would be best left at 100% no matter what. That's frustrating.
I've also found that sample rate needs to either be set to 32kHz, or a low-pass filter around 14.5-15kHz needs to be used at higher sample rates with SC-VA. I haven't found a good low-latency option for that to use with games though, only music playback (the free ReaFIR plug-in works for that).
Deep Thought

Postby kode54 » 2018-9-10 @ 05:59

Falcosoft wrote:SC-VA is known to have problems with displaying the real instrument state so its 'instruments on channels' display can be misleading.

That is because the instrument and status displays operate independent from the synthesizer core, which is a monolithic library that implements a static single instance of SCVA, with no status information whatsoever exposed, save for polyphony, which is hard limited to 64 voices per instance, and boy does it love to leave voices occupied as far as that counter is concerned.

The status display is controlled by the instrument front end monitoring and interpreting messages separate from the synthesizer. In fact, even the instrument changes and synthesizer mode controls are all implemented by sending midi and sysex messages to the black box core. Fun fact: the core doesn’t support specifying the length of sysex messages, and the front end doesn’t verify that messages are terminated before passing them to the core, so great way to make the plugin crash!
kode54

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-9-10 @ 07:55

@kode54:
Thanks for the interesting info about the inner working of SC-VA. The situation where I have met the front-end display and synth core can go out of sync problem is orphan Bank select controller messages. The front-end display reacts to Bank select messages immediately while the core only reacts to Bank select when a Program change message also arrives. Fortunately the synth's core is right (according to midi specification) so the synth sounds good only the displayed bank/instrument is wrong. And based on K.A.R.R.'s problematic file it can be stated that some SysEx messages also interpreted correctly only by the synth's core and ignored by the front-end.
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Release Announcements