Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Postby furan » 2018-12-27 @ 23:26

Bit of a delicate ask, but is the source code available if I want to change the look and feel? I'm looking to make a virtual MIDI PC doing this, and I've built an LCD into a full height drive bay, and I've been hoping to display midiplayer/VSTs/VSTi there.
Thanks again for writing this app!
furan

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-12-28 @ 00:23

Bit of a delicate ask, but is the source code available if I want to change the look and feel?

Sorry but no, the source code is not available.
Thanks again for writing this app!

You're welcome.
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-12-28 @ 17:34

To be clear, I believe what you do with your own creation is absolutely your own choice even though I really love what Free Software makes possible. However, from a structural point of view does FSMP include any libraries or code snippets that impose licensing restrictions?
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-12-28 @ 18:50

gdjacobs wrote:To be clear, I believe what you do with your own creation is absolutely your own choice even though I really love what Free Software makes possible. However, from a structural point of view does FSMP include any libraries or code snippets that impose licensing restrictions?

Unfortunately yes. The problem is twofold. It uses some third party non-open source copyrighted components, but this is the smaller problem. The bigger problem is it also uses heavily modified Borland/Inprise Delphi(5!) VCL source codes. Some modifications are compatibility/bug fixes, some are necessary hacks to add new features (and Borland's code of course cannot be distributed)...
FSMP started as a hobby project for myself (and for my SB Live :) ) more than 10 years ago. Multi-platform/open source compatibility was not an concern then.
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby furan » 2018-12-29 @ 18:43

In my case I can get by - I wrote a lot of the Windows compositor and I can redirect the backbuffer for the VSTi window to an external display, live. So I'll still get that tidbit of output that I want for my "Virtual Midi Box" - thanks again for this program and all the hard work!
furan

Postby Kaminari » 2019-1-14 @ 18:09

Hello Zoltan,

I noticed that MT-32 files with very small external SysEx files (to set reverb for example) tend to "choke up" the first few notes. I wonder if there's an option in FSMP to force a small delay (one second for example) before the MIDI file starts playing, in order to prevent that sort of congestion and let the SysEx properly upload to the synth.

[Edit] Talking about physical synths of course (CM-64 in my case). FSMP with Munt doesn't have this problem.
Core 2 Quad Q9600 3.4 GHz | Radeon R9 280X 3 GB | DDR2 8.0 GB | Win7-64 SP1
Kaminari
Oldbie

Postby Falcosoft » 2019-1-14 @ 21:21

Kaminari wrote:Hello Zoltan,

I noticed that MT-32 files with very small external SysEx files (to set reverb for example) tend to "choke up" the first few notes. I wonder if there's an option in FSMP to force a small delay (one second for example) before the MIDI file starts playing, in order to prevent that sort of congestion and let the SysEx properly upload to the synth.

[Edit] Talking about physical synths of course (CM-64 in my case). FSMP with Munt doesn't have this problem.

Hi,
Of course there is. Maybe it's not obvious at first but the 'Maximum SysEx chunk size' and 'Delay between SysEx chunks' settings in Main menu -> SysEx Options -> Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog also apply to external SysEx files. Since you have talked about small SysEx files maybe the Maximum chunks size is not relevant here but the Delay between SysEx chunks definitely is. Try to set the value e.g. to 100 ms. It means after every sent SysEx chunk FSMP waits for 100 ms. I think this value will be enough but if not you can increase the value further (but I do think 1000 ms delay would be unnecessarily too much).
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby Kaminari » 2019-1-15 @ 01:13

Thanks! The Delay option did the trick.

Those SysEx files are small indeed, less than 100 bytes. The default 40 ms value was too short for my synth (or maybe my Midisport Uno), but setting it at 150 ms got rid of the congestion during playback startup.
Core 2 Quad Q9600 3.4 GHz | Radeon R9 280X 3 GB | DDR2 8.0 GB | Win7-64 SP1
Kaminari
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Release Announcements