VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems I've built my all in one retro rig last year just for the challenge, because lately nostalgia in general has lost much of its appeal to me. I've already gotten rid of a ton of stuff, and now that emulation has improved for most systems i'm now getting rid of every vintage game system except for the xbox(which atm has terrible emulation on 360 to practically none on pc).

Basically due to life events, my priorities changed. I now no longer care about accuracy and just care about as long as I have access to most games worth playing without more hardware in my bedroom. You may remember my posts here getting w98 to work, and as of redoing it fairly recently it runs beautifully:

• 2TB Seagate SSHD
    -Windows ME w/ custom dos mode
    -Windows XP SP3
    -Linux Mint
    All above OS's are heavily optimized, tweaked, and patched.
    Ex. ME makes full use of 2gb, breaks hdd limits, uses sata drivers, etc)

In-Win V500 MicroAtx Beige
    ASRock 775i65G R3.0
    Intel Core2Quad Q6700 2.600Ghz + Noctua NHU9B
    2GB DDR400
    BFG Geforce 7800GS, 256MB, AGP
    Aureal Vortex 2 AU8330 + 4MB Monster Wavetable Card
    Gotek Floppy Emulator, Generic DVD drive
    EVGA SuperNova 550w Gold
    Generic Card Slot
    Linksys WMP54G PCI wifi
    Noctua 92mm and Noctua 80mm case fans.
    UniComp UltraClassic Model M
    Dell FP2007
    Microsoft Intellimouse

As you can tell my perfectionism clouded my judgement and I spent stupid amounts of money on this... and yet I've just never gotten around to using it beyond a few hours of game testing. The only reason it even stays around is simply because of the fact that I put so much effort into making it.

So, main question... is there anything that DOESN'T work on modern windows? Like have no patches, workarounds, or any fan support whatsoever?
And if so, is windows xp a good enough retro os? Because at the very least I can make a very portable mini itx to replace this, and I'm aware much of the compatibility issues have to do with games wanting a 32bit os and directx 9.

Last edited by rishooty on 2016-10-08, 05:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most games i know work with Glide wrappers if the games support 3dfx (which most late 90s games do). Using DirectX rendering with the old games is almost always buggy with new hardware. Be prepared to spend a lot of time trying workarounds, 3rd party patches, etc. The dos games can run in DosBox.

Reply 3 of 6, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Thanks so much! I've googled around for threads but some of them were out of date(as in a patch or gog release came out years later) or not too comprehensive.

• For those curious, build I'm considering is:
    MSI-A88XI-AC-V2-Motherboard
    A10-7860K in 45W Mode(It's gpu is apparently similar to an r7 250.)
    Intel 7260ac Wifi
    Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK110-VESA w/90w psu (60w 12v rail, hence the 45w mode)
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2133MHz (PC3 17000)
    Noctua NH-L9A Low Profile Cooler
    Toshiba OCZ Trion 150 480GB SSD(240xp part, 240win10 part)
    Seagate 2TB 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch(for games of both)

Overkill for the era, yes, but it's also meant to double as a super portable gaming rig. Something for when I don't feel like lugging around both a monitor and a full gpu itx on the go, when I can just mount it to the monitor 😀

So cool, my assumption that the majority of older games have XP patches at the highest was correct. Mini-ITX build it is then.

Last edited by rishooty on 2016-10-08, 05:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built myself a Pentium 3 and a Pentium 4, the P3 running W98se and the P4 running XP. I decided I would try each game I wanted to install first on the P4, patch it up, and anything that didn't run I would put on the P3

There was only one game in my big list of titles that wouldn't run on XP, Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion (weird Lucasarts edutainment game)

Now I do use my P3 for DOS as I have an ISA sound card in there, but with XP and DosBOX to be honest you've got most stuff covered

Reply 5 of 6, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nipedley wrote:

Now I do use my P3 for DOS as I have an ISA sound card in there, but with XP and DosBOX to be honest you've got most stuff covered

Awesome. It seems I'm getting more proof that it's the right direction then.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DXWnd and similar tools have certainly improved compatibility a lot, compared to say 10 years ago. You'll probably get most games "working" but perhaps not perfectly.

To be honest I don't have a huge amount of experience getting Win95/Win98 games to work on Windows 10 because I still use a Windows 98 machine for them myself. But I've helped a friend get some of the more popular 90's games running on Windows 10. Some low resolution modes didn't display properly on a modern lcd, but thats more a dos games problem (though quake 2 default graphics were unreadable, it was easily fixed).

The stuff that couldn't be fixed were just little things that didn't directly hinder gameplay. Video cutscenes were very hit or miss. Some games with redbook cd audio either won't play the audio or will play it once, but not loop like it's supposed to.