VOGONS

Attic find - 286-16, that's right

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like you've got a few more things to do 😀 it's awesome to build these machines!

I normally run Space Quest 1 (the original EGA version) simply because that was the first game I ever played on a PC.

Reply 61 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never played Space Quest 1 unfortunately. First game I have played was Pong, the second was Montezuma’s Revenge. Please see Quick Joy SV 209 card I show in previous posts. My plan is to get this card working with this system to play Pong or clone game for MS-DOS for two. I'll try Space Quest too and definately Wolfenstein 3D 😀

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 62 of 68, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah and you know what... In hindsight I realise now that SQ1 isn't even an Adlib/Sound Blaster game. It just plays music via the PC Speaker (unless you patch it).

For testing a sound card, I always play Skyroads, Duke Nukem 2, Doom or Space Quest 3. Usually all of them haha!

Reply 63 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the mean time, look at the video I found. Seems clear enough to me that 286-16 has potential as multimedia PC. I'm impressed how many titles can be run on 286 PC. This video is so generous 😀
What do you think of 286-16 capabilities?
Highscreen 286 - 16 MHz, still alive, MT-32, HD

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 64 of 68, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my first PC was a 286 way back in 1995 so much of my time was playing the few DOS games that would work (and could fit on the 20MB ST-225). I was always amazed by its performance.

And that was a 286-12...

So this 286-16 works amazingly well too!! 😀

Reply 65 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MS-DOS 5 will be the best choice. Actually I did fix on soldering wires, led's, connectors, switches and so on, still need specific screws to mount psu switch properly, need to make my own clasp from metal sheet too. Couple of things missing for final assembly. Anyway MS-DOS 5 installed and ready. What is your favourite MIDI player which is compatible with MS DOS 5 ?

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 66 of 68, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually use gsplay: ftp://retronn.de/dos/sound/gsplay1.zip

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 67 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent. Thanks for provided link to player, I'll definately try it out. I saw you have a nice website. Great 38 8-bit tracks you've got there 😀
I remembered very nice tracks from Terminator 2 NES version. What is original extension for the tracks ?

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 68 of 68, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT: thanks, so you haven't found the video captures area 😉.

The 38 track album are recordings from the CBM VIC-20. So the original extension is uncompressed WAV.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool