Problems w/ Aureal Vortex 2 in SWOS under Windows & Turrican in DOS

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Problems w/ Aureal Vortex 2 in SWOS under Windows & Turrican in DOS

Postby Redhair » 2017-4-09 @ 20:05

SWOS:
MIDI works, but the SB sound gets weird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oulLosKHY88
This problem only exists under Windows, the sound is fine under DOS.
For now I only experienced this problem with SWOS, other DOS games seem to work fine under Windows.

Turrican II:
The game only runs in DOS without EMS. However, there is also a sound problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ukJ4YoenY

I do not have these problems with other soundcards.
I've tried with two different PCs yet, one with Intel 865, the other with 875 chipset.

Have you ever experienced similar problems with this card and do you know if there's a way to fix it?
SWOS isn't just a game - it's a way of life!
Redhair

Re: Problems w/ Aureal Vortex 2 in SWOS under Windows & Turrican in DOS

Postby RegTheEvil » 2019-7-13 @ 22:56

I have the exact same problem with Turrican 2 with Intel 845GE chipset (Compaq Presario SR1100SF). I have installed WIN98SE and trying this game under DOS Mode. I have Aureal Vortex AU8810A1 sound card. Turrican 2 has weid background noise when ever audio is playing. It stops when there is no audio. I would also like to know if there is any cure to this. Like a patch for that game? Or change some sound card settings? I already tried both IRQ 5 and 7 with no luck.

I can't say much about Windows stuff because I haven't used this card there much yet.

[EDIT: I tested sound card settings more with Turrican 2. Edited au10dos.ini and set SBFMIRQ 7, SBFMDMA 3, SBFMPORT 240 and also tested IRQ 5, DMA 3, Port 240 and then finally tested IRQ 5, DMA 1, Port 220 and used only 11000 Hz (instead of 22000 Hz) for audio with Turrican 2 and now the weird noise is slower and lower in pitch. Maybe somebody can tell what that is?]
RegTheEvil

Return to Sound